Patchwork

Title: Patchwork
Author: cookiemonster
Rated: for all
Summary: Two little families mingling together. Will they make things work – especially since they don’t live on the same continent?
A/N: Ah yeah I know, just too many fics going again right now and I haven’t updated LAFT in ages!!!! :Pinch: I’ll be working on the next chapter soon. But for the moment here’s a new fic and I hope you’ll like it!

Thanks to all my readers that have been faithful to my writing for years now! You know whom I’m talking to so feel honoured! I love you guys :hug:

Part 1 (prologue)

“Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Susie, Happy Birthday to you”

The crowd sings and applauds loudly, cheering for the little brown haired girl turning two today. I do the same, while letting my eyes drift over the place. Smiling and happy faces all around the place before my eyes settle on the young girl once again. Mischief and a very large smile plastered all over her face, clapping her tiny hands too. I’m pretty sure that she’s very ecstatic about the entire attention drawn to her as she sits on her high chair in the middle and the two candle-lit chocolate cake right in front of her.

“Susie, you gotta blow out the candles” Her twelve year old brother Adam told her.

“Yeah, come on… like this” Zachary, her ten year old brother encouraged her. The girl mysteriously looked up at her brothers not really getting the message quite yet. When both brothers leaned in by her side and showed her once again how to blow, she took a deep breath and in once stroke they were all blown out. Though not by the girl… but she didn’t notice.

They all cheered all over again and Susan smiled.

Why am I here, you might wonder? Well, no I’m not the father of those three amazing children, but for the past two weeks I’ve got to know them and even grew to love them. Their mother, Sydney Hecht, is one of the most amazing and strong women I’ve ever met in my life.

I casually came here to visit my long lost friend Eric who by now is happily married and has two children too. It’s been ten years I moved back to France, where I also got married and had a child on my own; a five year old daughter. She’s the essence of my life. She means the world to me and I love her more than I love my own life. That’s the way things go after college.

I didn’t have that much luck in life though. Shortly after Laura was born, my wife died. I was left alone to raise a daughter and so far I know I’ve done a great job. She loves me, we both love each other and right now I miss her so dearly.

From Eric I know that Sydney has lost her husband on September 11th. Her husband was working in the North Tower when the plane crashed into the large building. He never got out of it. Back then she was pregnant with the little girl sitting all smiling now, looking up at me.

I smile and wave my hands at her. She waves back. She’s a very joyful child, always smiling and all. As far as I could say during the past two weeks I practically got to spend with them every day.

Sydney takes the cake back into the kitchen in order to cut it up. I can’t take my eyes off her as I watch her disappear the other side of the room. While everybody is focusing their attention onto the birthday child, trying to keep her entertained so to speak and playing around, I’m the only one noticing Sydney’s long absence.

Hesitating first, I though still decide to check up if only to figure out whether she needs help.

“Hey! Need help?” I casually ask, peering my head into the kitchen. I don’t miss up on the few tears rolling down her face that she hurriedly attempts to hide by drying them off with the back of her hands. She shakes her head but I nevertheless walk up next to her, putting a comforting hand on her back.

“You sure?”

She nods again her head, “Yeah… it’s just hard sometimes…”

I flash her a brief smile in understanding, unconsciously rubbing my hand up and down her back. Suddenly she turns around and wraps her arms around my body, her head coming to rest on my chest and I swear this is the greatest feeling I’ve felt in a long while. As a new friend I’m there for her and she needs some comfort, so I give it to her.

Zachary though breaks our moment, ripping his mother hastily away from me.

“Mum, Josh won’t let me play with the Play Station!” He’s completely upbrought, pulls out one of the chairs around the kitchen table. With a loud thud his elbows hit the table, his face hiding in his hands as he’s sulking away. Sydney sighs.

“You’re not meant to play with the Play Station anyway Zach. It’s Susie’s birthday today. The least you can do is play with her for just once in your life.” Sydney retorts as I awkwardly stand in between mother and son.

“Always Susie Susie Susie…” he pouts into his hands, making it almost impossible for Sydney and me to understand what he’s saying.

“Right, stop being so thick-skulled Zach and go tell Uncle Eric and Carolyn that I’ll be right there with coffee and cake” she orders pulling the boy out of his chair. He grumbles some more though walks back into the family room.

“Middle child” I grin, knowing what kind of terror I’ve been myself as a middle child to my mother.

“Don’t even start on it!” she warns me, fetching the cake off the counter. “Would you mind taking the coffee?”

tbc (obviously) :lol:

Next update Wednesday

This is a very nice start :smiley:
Could you please put me on the pm list?

Don't mind my pm question, just read you're not sending one

Oh sis, don't be mad at me :( knowing myself I'll probably mess up all my PM lists :angelic: :lol:

And since I will be updating on a regular basis, I rather prefer it that way

BTW, you still going to the SD board??? :thinking:

I know I said I was gonna update on Wednesday but one of my appointments has been moved forward to tomorrow night and since I'm at fitness class on both Thursday and Friday late nights, I'm updating now...

Sorry for this mess but I'm sure you don't mind my early update :lol:

“Middle child” I grin, knowing what kind of terror I’ve been myself as a middle child to my mother.

“Don’t even start on it!” she warns me, fetching the cake off the counter. “Would you mind taking the coffee?”

Part 2

Two days later I’m standing at the check-in counter at the airport with two suitcases, a handbag and a little box from the so typical Build-a-Bear© Company for my daughter. She’s going to be so thrilled about the new stuffed animal I bought for her with its matching clothes for each and every special occasion. I’m spoiling her rotten yet again and I can already hear my mother’s words resonating in my head.

Last night I said my goodbyes to both Zachary and Adam since they have school today. In front of me now, there are Eric and Carolyn, together with Sydney holding Susan in her arms. This goodbye is harder than I ever thought possible because I most definitely enjoyed my stay in America and seeing my friend again after so many years. But now it’s time to go home, back to the every day life I’m living in France.

Even though I had a couple of meetings to attend business-like here in New York City, I still had the chance to have some very much needed vacation. Eric’s family kept me very much entertained during my stay, which made the long distance separation from my daughter easier to bear. Not forgetting to mention Sydney’s very nice hospitality. I’ll never forget them and will even miss them dearly.

I eventually will have to go through control and the queue is endlessly long so I have to say goodbyes now. Several friendly hugs and kisses to the women with a promise to write them an email as soon as I’m back home, I’m finally able to let go.

“Bye-Bye” Susan babbles waving her tiny hand at me that was holding a tight grip on her favourite blanket. She’s still too young to understand everything that is going on, but those two small words make it even harder for me to leave Sydney.

I realise that I’m about falling for a woman I hardly know and who is living thousands of miles away from me. A woman I’m not supposed to fall for because I have no clue how that relationship could work, neither do I know what her feelings are for me. All I know is that I like her really a lot. Her strength, her beauty, her grace,… everything.

I wave back one last time, handing my boarding card and passport out to the officer. Examining both articles returns them with a smile. “Have a nice flight”

I thank him, turn around and wave once more, seeing Susan slowly drift off in Sydney’s arms. It’s her naptime and I’m sure that even before they’ve reached the car, she’s already sound asleep.

7051_11320_11123_11298_11255L.jpg

End Part 2

Update on Sunday!

Back