Peaceful

Gosh if I were Sydney I'd kill Michael when got back (because he's so not dead)! Hyperbolically speaking of course but still... :blink:

Oh no, angsty Christmas stories around holiday time. :lol: I'm still scarred from 2 years ago when you were posting Searching for Truth and Vaughn apparently died in a plane crash when I read it Christmas morning. :rotflmao: But it turned out all good in the end like I'm hoping this one will. ;)
EJ :hug: you're back reviewing
and im sorry i scarred your christmas. i promise i wont do it again

Did you ever post how many chapters this has?
Just curious as to how long her mourning will last.

How many days until Christmas for her? Because something happens on Christmas.
six chapters total
um... i wasn't really clear about how many days till her christmas b/c its kinda irrelevant - 3ish weeks i suppose. but the next chapter jumps right to xmas eve, so that's why it doesnt matter ;)

Great update. please keep me On your pm List. i haven't replied in so long because my computer is down. and i can only read from my phone. and it takes like a million years to reply. so to recap. my computer sucks and i still love and read your stories.:smiley: thanks. angel.
will do :smiley:
and onyour phone yikes :blink: you must have patience

:( Well at least we know that you will fix this, in some sort of way that I have yet to figure out??!! Awesome beginning :smiley:

dude
this dosent sound very peaceful
how s this peaceful
fix it
then tell us y u fixing it
and then..dude that so sad
cool tho
thanks for thepm
~vj~!

I'm hoping that, somehow, Michael is still alive. However, being a POW isn't much better- he may wish he were dead.

Meanwhile, Sydney is having to face Christmas alone and very, very sad.

Chris

We all know that he will come back!

To what he will come back is certainly a different question! And I know that you would make it interesting!

=(. i was already depressed after watching the whole 5th season and reading "Thanks for 5 amazing years". but now Vaughn DEAD in a SkyGirl fic??? i dont know if i can handle this. Please make it better! PLEASE

Gabbi <33

He's alive. Know how I know? 'Cause they're assumed dead when MIA for a certain period of time. Pfft. And that's what happened. *remains optimistic*

Can't wait to see where you take this -- I'm already hooked.

Oh you are evil...poor Syd having to be all sad at Christmas time. But I'm glad to hear that you are going to fix it. Can't wait to see how you do.
Great start and Thanks for the PM

maybe he could have arranged for a dog to be delivered like in "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks... that was soo cute.

cause her husband died and she was all sad and then she got a letter from him later with a dog to keep her company and it was soo cute.

ok, well, you can do it however and i'll still love it.

that was so sad :( ...

but i refuse to believe it

*rocks back and forth in corner*

Vaughns alive i tell you... and even if he isn't i will still live in denial and say that he is anyway

im gonna stay clam and happy
you will fix this....
i have to believe that

*sorry the reviews late i fell asleep yesterday

This is really horrible, how could Vaughn do such a thing? Go in Iraq and then get killed?
How stupid was that to leave his wife and family behind him? I under stand his desire yo avenge his brother's death but it is still a stupid idea

maybe he could have arranged for a dog to be delivered like in "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks... that was soo cute.
oh i loveeeeee that book - its def one of my favs of his

there are 6 chapters (forgot to mention that yesterday) and the chap after this jumps right to christmas eve :smiley:

Chapter 2

When Sydney glanced over at the clock and saw through her tears that it was after eight, she tried her best to pull herself together; she needed to finish her Christmas tree decorating or else it would go on all night. She made her way back to the pile of ornaments on her floor and sat down to decide which colored glass ball should adorn each bough of the tree beside her.

As she carefully chose each ornament and placed it upon the evergreen she purchased, the smallest tree on the lot, the memories of Christmases past washed over her once more. Not all of them were sad though, simply overshadowed by the bittersweet feeling surrounding every holiday this year; every holiday she would spend without him.

She recalled childhood Christmases, one especially. She was nine-years-old, her younger sister Nadia, seven, and the two of them had volunteered to help their mother decorate the tree. Their mother agreed, and the two sisters excitedly began laying out ornaments, deciding which would go where on the branches. In their excitement, they were not as careful as they should have been and they ended up knocking over a box of ornaments, breaking every one. Luckily, the box only contained three instead of the nine that fit in it, but the sisters were scolded nonetheless.

The next Christmas she remembered was one from her teenage years. Her boyfriend at the time, Chip, was over at her house and the two of them were indulging in the holiday atmosphere on the couch. Her sister, who was angry at her for a reason she no longer remembered, informed their parents that Sydney was shirtless on the couch with her boyfriend, who was equally undressed. Of course this was not true at all, but Sydney was still lectured to the point of death because of it.

After that, the recollection of her first Christmas with Michael floated through her mind. Their relationship was just in the beginning stages then, but they still had a wonderful time ice skating together and kissing under the mistletoe. The image of Michael’s sparkling green eyes and irresistible smile fueled the tears in her eyes once more.

Every time she thought of him, the guilt stemming from her anger towards his actions formed a great lump in her throat. She was furious that he had chosen to do something that, in her opinion and in the opinion of many others, was essentially a suicide mission. Michael would hear none of it though. He was determined and that stubborn attitude led to many fights between them: most notably, the fight that occurred just a few days before his untimely death.

As was to be expected, communication from the battlefields of Iraq was sporadic at best. Mostly, it was in the form of email, though Sydney did receive two highly cherished phone calls. Hearing his voice over the crackling connection was almost a miracle, yet at the same time it was heart wrenching; it reminded her just how much she missed him.

During that last phone call, Sydney asked Michael how long it would be until they saw each other face to face once more. Since he had only been in Iraq a few months, Michael had absolutely no way of knowing when an opportunity for leave would arise. Furious, Sydney retorted in anger that perhaps she was not willing to wait for him, all alone; maybe she wanted to find someone else. Naturally this sparked an argument, which was cut short when Michael’s time using the phone was up. The last words they spoke were those of spite, not of love, and she would never ever get a chance to take them back; that was what ate her up inside when she spent nights staring at the ceiling instead of sleeping.

For the most part, despite her thoughts of Christmases past, Sydney was able to keep her emotions in check. She hummed along to the songs playing over the radio and hung each ornament, each piece of tinsel, each string of popcorn with care. Her tree was nothing out of a Martha Stewart catalog, but she thought it looked very nice, which was the most important thing. When she came to the final box, though, she could not stop the tears from drifting down her cheeks.

Years earlier, while she and Michael were strolling through an outdoor shopping mall, they came upon an shop full off all sorts of different decorations and gifts that Sydney deemed to be adorable. She dragged Michael inside and began to peruse the items while he complained about the smell of potpourri assailing his nostrils and thus nauseating him. In that store, she found the most beautiful snowflake ornament she had ever laid eyes on. Its soft silver and blue sparkles made it seem as though it had been plucked right from the heavens and set into that velvet lined box on the store shelves. She wanted it immediately, but upon seeing the price tag changed her mind; it was too expensive for something so frivolous.

Weeks later, completely out of the blue, Michael came home with a present just for her. It was not her birthday or any other holiday that would warrant a gift; it was just because. When she opened the carefully wrapped package, she found the snowflake and was amazed that he had remembered.

That gift was just a glimpse into the romanticism Michael possessed in his character. He was always surprising her with little presents, even if it was just a chocolate bar he picked up on the way home. Sydney knew no matter what the cost of the item he presented her, whether it was fifty cents or fifty dollars, it was simply a representation of his devotion to her, and that certainly could never have a price tag on it.

Ever since receiving her beloved snowflake, Sydney used it to decorate for Christmas. It was too special to use year round, she determined; however, it was perfect for the holiday season. After she and Michael purchased a home of their own the previous year, they bought a real Christmas tree for the first time. Sydney decided that it would be perfect for her extra special ornament to adorn the top of that tree, though she made sure to tie it on very securely so that it would not fall off and shatter.

As she held the glittering snowflake in her palm, her heart began to ache even more than it had over the previous five months. She was not sure how she was going to be able to stand looking at that symbol atop her tree for the three weeks leading up to Christmas, but she knew she would have to; her tree would simply not be complete without it.

As she stood atop a chair that enabled her to reach the top of the tree, she missed him more than ever. He would have tried to reach it without the chair, which would have been impossible, since he was only a few inches taller than she. In the process, he would probably almost fall over on top of the tree. Then, she would scold him for being a ‘stubborn man’ and he would grumble and grunt at her, pretending to be offended. Half an hour later, they would make up with a warm kiss and he would concede to being a stubborn man. It was their ‘thing’ and she missed it so badly sometimes she felt as though she could not even breathe.

With the snowflake in its position, Sydney stepped down to observe her handiwork. The tree was perfect. As she began picking up the now empty ornament boxes, a glint from the tree caught her eye. It was the sparkles within the snowflake reflecting off the moonlight filtering through the nearby windows. They shone specks of light onto the ceiling, which danced around in circles. This was yet another reminder of him.

One of Michael’s favorite things to do was to use a stream of sunlight or, in this case, moonlight and a reflecting surface, such as a mirror or a watch face to send beams of light shining around the room. If possible, he would send them directly towards Sydney’s face to annoy her, in a playful way, of course. Naturally, this was one of the things about him that irritated her, until it no longer happened and she missed it terribly.

Looking back at the tree, she saw the snowflake had slumped to one side and was no longer standing up tall. She climbed back onto the chair and adjusted it so that it was perfect once more. Dragging her fingertips along the smooth surface she let out a long exhale. At that moment, the snowflake seemed more like a star, which was one of the traditional signs of the Christmas season; the North Star, a peaceful, guiding light for the entire world. This snowflake was going to be the sparkling instrument that shined above her living room, so in a way it was like her very own North Star.

Glancing heavenward, Sydney’s heart traveled up into her throat as two tears dripped down her cheeks. “I hope you’ve found peace,” she said softly, truly meaning every word. Then, with that, she climbed off the chair and continued to clean up the boxes strewn about.