Horror Penny Dreadful (Showtime)

AWalkerBit.Me

Survivor HQ
Penny Dreadful is new TV series that will be premiering on Showtime May 11, 2014. It was created by John Logan and produced by Logan and Sam Mendes. Logan and Mendes previously wrote & directed the Skyfall James Bond film.

The series is set in turn-of-the-century Victorian London, as in 1900, not 2000 ;), and will feature the well known horror creations of the time, such as Dracula, Dr. Frankenstein, and Dorian Gray. The various characters will have their stories interwoven as they all exist in the same reality of the time. Billie Piper, Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, and other actors are featured.

The show is aimed at a mature adult audience and has been described as 'psychosexual horror' in tone.

The trailer makes me think of a mix between a NIN video & the first season of American Horror Story. With Showtime in the house now I'll watch at least one or two episodes to see how it goes.

The show is aimed at a mature adult audience and has been described as 'psychosexual horror' in tone.
Sounds like a show for @Azhria Lilu! :whistle:

Rating must be stronger than I thought; it has been renewed already for a second season.

It seems to be a bit like a sexier, scarier, American Horror Story. I think you really have to be into the Victorian era fashion and taste to really get into this dark drama.

It seems a little slow to me after watching the first 3 episodes, but it appears that there are a lot of sub plots going to to keep people interested in what will happen next.

My favorite storyline at the moment is Victor Frankenstein's creation(s) and his relationship with them. I won't go into more of that if nobody has seen it yet.

There seems to be some undertones of homoerotica going on, which isn't really my cup of tea, but I can understand that it kind of goes with the territory with these kinds of series.

Lots of sex, probably not enough skin though. LOL

Last edited:
@SneakyDave Thanks for the summary. Based on your first impressions I am not sure then it is a series that I would watch as I am not a fan of the 'horror erotica' type shows like Salem and True Blood.

If the series lives up to its title, perhaps it shows Varney the Vampire and other things that really came from the original penny dreadfuls.

Well, the end of the season was somewhat predictable in my opinion, but not a bad first start. They could really add more girl and girl foolin' around, and tone down the boy and boy "interactions", but yeah. Might stick around with it to see where it goes.

Back