Pets

Nainci

Cadet
It appears that there will be some sort of pets available. The Ranger, from what I have read, will have a pet/companion which will help him/her fight. Anyone know anything else?

Best I could find on a fast search (getting tired... old women need to sleep)

"The number of pets a character can own is a question that will likely be resolved through testing and other communication with the gaming community. It is likely, however, that a character will be restricted to one active pet at a time (given the detail level of our character models, too many would be a frame rate problem)."

-Melissa Meyer

"The relationship between a pet and an owner is far less casual than what is currently seen in MMOs. A player can define a unique appearance for his pet, and customize its abilities in order to create a pet that truly suits his character. How the pet grows will depend on the time, attention and personal investment that the player invests in the pet."

-Melissa Meyer

" The same goes for, say, a pet you may acquire. It can gain abilities and grow over time right along with your character."

-David Whatley, June 13, 2005

All I've heard on pets besides the ranger is

"Necromancers can be found moping around graveyards, writing poetry and clutching stuffed ravens. Our Necromancers are designed to exude a deadly cloud of decay and accompany shambling dead dudes who will rip off their own arm to beat you senseless with, so...pretend you like the poetry."

I don't however believe pets shoudl be 'called' when you want them to. They are their, or they aren't. Thats my belief. With the hope of an awsome player housing you should option to leave your pet their, but if you take it out. It's with you, and runs the risk of being killed.

Hopefully they will have numerous types of pets as well. Whether it be dog, cat, or bird. A pet hawk would be kinda neat though :smiley:

In the past, my nature-loving characters (Druids, Rangers, etc) loved to have a companion wolf, with one of my druid's having a Moore Cat (I'm a fan of Terry Brooks, what can I say?).

My Necromancers could conjure up dead corpses from nearby marked or unmarked graves or burial spots... I can't see too many other classes having them. Though, I did like have a pet dog like what DAoC gave to those level 16 or higher... not a pet that would fight with you, but more along the lines of RP content, it'd run around at your heels.

~ Jaraeth

I hope Necros get a sweet way to summon their pets. I demand shifting zombies tearing at the flesh of my enemies! I must also be able to summon them quickly and have them explode from the very earth as their sinew and bone are sewn together before my very eyes while I laugh into the night.

Pets!

collage1_sm.jpg

Aren't they the cutest!!

Huh? Ingame pets? Oh..
Hmm well wonder if I can model one of my pups in-game then? haha that'd be nuts.
Though I think I'd rather a lil kitten or such.

I'll probably be going Healer/Ranger so am very intruiged to see what will happen in regards to pets.

Novelty pets are great. I enjoy them. But I think the OP was referring to combative pets... ones that you summon to fight for you. *shrug*

I'm not a big combative pet fan but I dont' mind them in games. I just find pet classes a tad annoying to play.

Novelty pets I'd love to see (other than mounts):

cats of various sizes and types
dogs ditto
wolves ditto
exotic creatures from the game environment
snakes (yeah I like snakes!)
I want a Vaklaash, maybe a Gorrog for a pet darn it! Good guard dog.

There is a problem with pets... say you're out adventuring with your group and you pet wolf and you find out you need to climb a wall or a cliff. How's the wolf gonna follow you?

So recall him. hehe

Of course if you had pets like in Daoc's Hib... my pet mushrooms don't move at all. Well, the wiggle a lot and blow you up, but other than that they stand still.

Mythic has always had interesting ideas for combative pets. Take a look at how they plan to do pets for Warhammer. Freaky, nutty people.

I'm all about pet classes which is why my first character will be a ranger necromancer. I play a hunter in WoW. I love exploring the world and taming new animals. In morrowind I played a necromancer/fighter. I like summoning zombies too. I like animals more than I like zombies though. I'm a bit worried about the ranger pets because in the description of the ranger class that was posted on mmorpg.com it didn't say anything about taming wild animals. Which makes me worry that ranger pets will be "fixed" (in other words. pre determind as to which pets you will have such as all ranger will have a generic hawk and a generic wolf, no exceptions..ever..it's hardcoded..like warlocks in WoW for example..they have fixed pets..boring). I like pokemon. Gotta catch 'em all! I want to go out and tame what animal I like. Fixed pets are less exciting which is why I never played a warlock in WoW.

I highly doubt that rangers will have fixed pets, I THINK I read somewhere about taming. I could be mistaken though.

If rangers do have fixed pets, I will be utterly dissapointed.

But my faith in Simu assures me 100% that you will be able to tame.

Thank you so much, Eve is my "baby". They are not for everyone, but they make really good pets. More intelligent than you might think too! Ahh, warm and fuzzy thoughts.... :D

I just would like to see Rangers in HJ be able to tame a larger assortment of animals than is the norm. I most likely won't be able to play a reptilian race (*cry*) so I"ll need to get my fix somewhere. Otherwise I'll be stuck with this to get by.....
711106800_l.jpg

She likes to game too!

Back