Phantasy Star Universe

blur said:
Why?

"Japanimation" (there's no hyphen), was a really, really, really widespread term for the art style, back in the 70s and 80s, when half of today's anime kids weren't even born.

The term simply fell into disuse as people started to use terms like anime; it wasn't "wrong", per se.

Personally, whenever I hear someone say it, or see someone write it, I think, "Old school... respect..." and I know they're probably in my age bracket, rather than get uptight about it.

And technically the term "anime" is borrowed intact from French, so it's not a Japanese word either, heh.

I don't say "Japanimation" anymore simply because it's way too long. 5 syllables vs 3 syllables? Anime wins every time.

--

As for PSU, I won't be trying it. I don't like the setting and I'm extremely distrustful of Japanese/Asian MMOs (I hate the utter lack of customization they all have, it's like they love cookiecutter characters).

Heh... I watched the Robotech series when they were live... Vultron, G-Force, and even the Akira movie... After that I sort of lost track... especially and intentionally around the pokemon time. ;)

My wife and I were picking out baby names recently... We actually considered 'Minmei' (Robotech's Lynn Minmei) as a possible name for a girl. :smiley:

I'll just coin a new phrase and call it 'Japanime,' then. :D

I love the way Japanime characters go instantly from laughing to stunned, wide-eyed silence: "Hahahahahahaha-huh?" - I do that often, for no particular reason.. it cracks the wifey up.

Heh... you should! Minmei is a great name!

Of course, the amazing thing about Robotech is how it was three unrelated series and they made it into one storyline, in the dubbing and editing process, for the sake of US syndication. To some people, it's not even a "real" series...!

Not me, however, I think it's a wonderful artifact of the beginnings of anime coming onto our TV screens.

I've had my other half playing Phantasy Star Universe on both PS2 & PC. The PC still basically requires a controller, which is how my BF plays on the PC. From what I see, you can control the camera up & down, but not zoom, or left & right camera movements. The PC version is also a lot more graphically pleasing.

As far as not liking the game, you either do or don't. I played the original Phantasy Star games, and this one fits. This is not your normal Asian MMORPG, this was out before MMO's, and was still an MMO of sorts prior to Sega taking down their gaming network. Personally, I can't put it in the same genre or class as normal Asian MMO's... this game is tested, tried, and true... but, not everyone will like it :smiley: More for those that do, j/k.

~ Jaraeth

Omg What server are ya'll on? I play on Universe 1 and 2 with my fiance, I love this game to death, at the moment! It's fun!! Wheee, and the first L.U. is coming out in 2 days (Large Update), apparently so like..............Yay for us!

I am intrigued by the game, never played any of the other Phantasy Star stuff but will add this to the list of "games Leo wants when she has money" Love this type of art-style and the sci-fi-ness seems excellent, it's hard to find great Sci-Fi games but after Xenosaga I've began to think the Japanese are on the right track to making good games in the genre. Looks like it might be really fun :smiley:

I have it for the XBox 360. I haven't played it in a couple weeks. It just got so... boring. There's hardly any content, and they took out the entire social aspect of it. Nobody uses their mics, which really pisses me off. If I'd wanted to sit and type, I'd have gotten it for the PC! I shouldn't have to stop what I'm doing to tell people stuff, especially since the headset comes with the damn system!

So to anyone who plays the XBox 360 version and doesn't use their headset: ---- you!

Yeah yeah, "Waa-Waa, Bitch-Bitch, He said a curse word!"... Anyone who thought that when they read that needs to forcefully drive their keys into the back of their hand, 'cause I'm sick of it.

...Though, I guess nobody here got it for the XBox 360, but still... It's annoying. The 360 comes with a headset, but 1: You can only use it in parties. In common areas, you have to type. And 2: Nobody uses the damn thing. I swear, I'd beat the felgercarb out of people for doing that if I could...

Headsets are a love hate relationship. They can work out really well, and often bring a group to victory, or, just as quickly, send everything down in a ball of hellfire.

Back