Photography Photography Enthusiasts

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Any others into photography as a hobby?

I'm upgrading my Canon Rebel T4i this week to a Canon 77D. The 77D is essentially a Rebel; for whatever reason instead of releasing both a Rebel T7 and a Rebel T7i like they've done in the past with all of the prior rebels they released a T7i only and at the same time the 77D. The 77D sits between the T7i and the 80D. To start I'll use the kit 18-135 USM lens.

Mrs. Kevin is interested in the hobby so I'll be giving her my T4i kit.

Who else is into it? Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, or something else? DSLR, Point-&-Shoot or phone? What styles do you like, casual shooting, nature, architecture?

I was teacher assistant in Photography class in 11th & 12th grades in high school.
Took Vocational summer classes for commercial art.
After high school I let it slide. I still know my way around a darkroom and how to set cameras and stuff but never really invested into it as a hobby.
I even did some video work.

Thing is, I was going to go into commercial art and graphics but I chose mechanic because I loved working on cars. I even did layouts and matte work. This was in the late 70s.

I wouldn't be disabled now if I had pursued my advertising interests. My disability is directly caused by my work in the automotive/trucking industry. But, I had a lot of fun for 35 years. No regrets.

I haven't played with film in years. In school I did some film processing and even filming/splicing/editing an 8mm short but I embraced digital photography early. I still have have some 35mm film canisters at the house though; I suspect they'll soon be another artifact that gets dug up and people have no idea what they were used for.

@Tom, have you considered picking up a camera again to play with? It'd be light physical action and these days older DSLRs can be had relatively cheap.

have you considered picking up a camera again to play with? It'd be light physical action and these days older DSLRs can be had relatively cheap.
I have a camera, Kodak 14mpx Easy Share with a 32gb chip.
I don't really use it much anymore.

My android has a 32gb minichip in it. Its empty. There is a camera on my phone but I never use it, pft, never really use my phone so chances are if I am out and about and I wanted to take a pic, I am not equipped to take a pic because my phone stays home. Most of the time, it just sits there are the desk and beeps when it wants me to plug it in.

If, during the very few times my kids come down for a visit, I do snaps some pics. I give the files to my daughter because she did go to college for graphic arts and she has a small business of doing photos for people.

I'm not really into taking photo shots for the sake of art anymore. Its just too easy to find any photo subject online and if I really want a print, I can just print from that.
I do make slideshows with music but haven't watched any of those in a long time.
Those are mostly played as a background during family visits.
Which doesn't happen very frequently.

New toy arrived last night! Yay! :D Now if I can only remember where I stored my stash of memory cards....
I'm not really into taking photo shots for the sake of art anymore.
For me it's not about art, it's, for me at least, a calming hobby. Most things I shoot people never see anyway, it's for me to relax by, kind of like a digital zen garden.

1970s-Hairstyles-for-Women_05.jpg
1984-102-web.jpg
a16e7b73d9a2d837ff96d83c465a9075.jpg
Old school photography for me bro, it has more soul....;):cool:Look ma, women without tattoo's, nose rings, coloured hair, and a agenda, how sweet it was......

Here's a shock, we're old school too but trying to be a little more modern.

I have always loved photography and I'm constantly taking photos now, especially since cell phones make it so easy. I don't have a particular subject preference except for grand kids and rocketry but I'll snap pics of anything I find interesting. As a kid I loved developing my own B&W's then color and had a complete lab at one time during high school could print color all the way up to 11" x 16"! The equipment back then wasn't cheap. For a time in high school I was a model, mainly for a local clothing store but I have always preferred to be behind the camera more than in front.

I got my first SLR in 72, a Yashica and still prefer it over anything currently on the market. For night time snaps of fast objects I still prefer film to digital. Digital is too temperamental when light is scarce. I seem to be great at paranormal images when using digital too, catching quite a few orbs and entities.

Of course, digital is very economical and great for most subjects. I like the fact that I can take literally thousands of photos then delete anything subpar without costing a cent.

Randy is very good with a digital SLR but also prefers 35mm film when he's trying to catch anything he deems as important. HIs favorite subject has always been me but his best work is with nature. On our 2 week trip to Monument Valley he took 6,000+ snaps and ended up keeping about 1600 that are all breathtaking and as good as anything I've ever seen on National Geographic. We printed more than 700 of them through Snap Fish for less than $140.

Just found this...

A phone camera clip-on lens assortment

best-selling-products-2017-in-usa-lens.jpg_350x350.jpg

Fisheye-lens-for-iPhone.jpg

Amazon.com : APEXEL

upload_2017-12-23_0-4-35.jpeg
upload_2017-12-23_0-6-6.jpeg

upload_2017-12-23_0-5-55.jpeg
upload_2017-12-23_0-6-27.jpeg

That last pic is a microscope attachment ~ Microphotography anyone?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-23_0-5-36.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-23_0-5-36.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 118

I have always loved photography and I'm constantly taking photos now, especially since cell phones make it so easy. I don't have a particular subject preference except for grand kids and rocketry but I'll snap pics of anything I find interesting. As a kid I loved developing my own B&W's then color and had a complete lab at one time during high school could print color all the way up to 11" x 16"! The equipment back then wasn't cheap. For a time in high school I was a model, mainly for a local clothing store but I have always preferred to be behind the camera more than in front.

I got my first SLR in 72, a Yashica and still prefer it over anything currently on the market. For night time snaps of fast objects I still prefer film to digital. Digital is too temperamental when light is scarce. I seem to be great at paranormal images when using digital too, catching quite a few orbs and entities.

Of course, digital is very economical and great for most subjects. I like the fact that I can take literally thousands of photos then delete anything subpar without costing a cent.

Randy is very good with a digital SLR but also prefers 35mm film when he's trying to catch anything he deems as important. HIs favorite subject has always been me but his best work is with nature. On our 2 week trip to Monument Valley he took 6,000+ snaps and ended up keeping about 1600 that are all breathtaking and as good as anything I've ever seen on National Geographic. We printed more than 700 of them through Snap Fish for less than $140.
Cameras were supposed to replace artist, it didn't. Digital cameras were supposed to replace film cameras, it did for a while, but folks are getting wise and digging the camera in its purest form. Now since computers have replaced artist, folks out there want real oil, acrylic, lead, water color paintings by real artist. I guess a Xerox will never replace a real painting of a Da Vincie. LOL:smiley:

All photography is cool, new and old....

I had a good buddy that had a dark room in his garage, he had all the equipment to process film. I have some equipment in my garage collecting dust. Never used it though.......

Back