Picture quality from seasons

Hibou

Cadet
Did anyone notice the change in picture quality on the DVD sets? S1 had a more grainy sorta feel, possibly due to a small budget. S2 & 3 have a more smooth, clean cut feel, possibly due to a bigger budget. The question I am asking is do you like the graininess of S1 compared to the other 2?

Personally, I do, because it gives a more grungey, underground feel.

Now that you mention it i know what you mean. I like the better quality of the second season because this way its more modern and spyish. Its crisper and better in my opnion.

The look of a series has more to do with the cinematographer. Personally, I noticed more of a difference in feel between seasons 1&2 and season 3 and now that I look, the cinematographer for s1&2 is Michael Bonvillain and for s3 it is Donald E. Thorin Jr. Bonvillian moved to Lost. This appears to be Thorin's first job as cinematographer; his many credits are as cameraman. I could really tell the difference.

:Ponder: Interesting. I did not like the way S3 was done. I can tell there is a difference and did right from the first episode. What a shame they changed the format even if they had no choice :(

S1 & S2 are very clear. The quality is outstanding (y)

I said all along that s3 seemed much darker or grainy. The dvd's actually are better than what I taped. I hope they go back to a the "old" ways and turn on the lights again for s4.

What am i saying??? Who cares seeing any part of Alias is better than most anything on tv.

I definitely like the clean look better. And I think part of it might just be compressing the video down to DVD quality probably caused some degredation along the way. I'd love to see it unfettered in HDTV quality, which of course I will get to see in S4. And I tink Season 4 will probably bel light, which probably means lighter colors and such.

Xin Li

Back