Pirates In Hero's Journey

Pirates In Hero's Journey

• They're a menace! I will hunt them to the last!

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yo-ho, yo-ho! A pirate's life for me!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • The Swiss inspire me. Neutrality toward Pirates I say!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Another boring cliché. No pirates at all please!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Pirates? But... but... I'm secretly a ninja!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In matters of the maritime laws of nations and regions, in and of locales both immediate and isolate upon the sphere of the earthly cradle and waters, those individuals duely and sufficiently evidenced against of any number of criminal charges statuted by the powers and authorities of the realms as sufficiently severe, vitriolic, or dischordious to the harmony and security of maritime transport and comport, shall be deemed by court of law, under due process, to be ever thenceforth known, and branded, as Pirates, and shall face swift and severe retribution befitting of their grievances against the commonality and governal institutions of the world, for the advancement of civil liberty and to the benefit of all.

- Contra Legas Marinas, Latracinium Maris Est -

Neutral. There could be many variants of piracy on the open seas (or inland).

Of course, in that pirate-specific MMO, I plan to play a British privateer, so I have tendencies toward #1. :D2

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. I doubt I'd even play as a pirate but who knows.

"If anything happens, tell my wife hello."
-Neutral President, Futurama

There are more than enough features to add without something fairly superfluous like pirates. Maybe if pvp could somehow rob...but npc pirates would be pretty boring.

Pirates were present in DragonRealms I know, and I'd imagine Gemstone too, despite my not having played it. In a world that recently went through a Cataclysm, there realistically should be people on the high seas looking to plunder whatever they can. I assume they will make an appearance in some way in Hero's Journey, albeit how we have no clue. Thus the speculative thread and opinion poll as to how players might like them to appear.

~Dune Walker~

I just don't feel they would have the same flavor as pirates should. Being a graphics game changes how things are done and are perceived. Unless they fire cannons and try to board ships then it isn't really the same. I can't really imagine the AI that would be required for that.

I would think it would certainly be doable. There are much more complex things in video games these days.

A pirate ship appears in the distance, graphicly visible, and as it approaches it attempts to latch onto your own ship, like in DR. During that time, you fire your weapons at them, hoping to sink or cripple the pirates so you can get away without being boarded.

If the pirate ship manages to get abreast of you and grapple onto you, then they board you. Pirate spawns attack everyone. The AI for that is by no means unreasonable.

~Dune Walker~

Dune is certainly right. If Blizzard can make a critter that burrows under ground, coming up only when someone is close to it, or make it so creatures spawn after some "eye" or "alarm" sees you, then it's certainly possible to make a pirate ship do everything needed to board another ship.

The only difficult bit would be the actual fighting on a player ship... I think.

{I can't retreat! Why can't I retreat?! HELP!}

*Pirate-Pwnt!*

Oh felgercarb, they got the empath! Someone drag him to the Captain's cabin! Where did that dang cleric get to? Stop trying to load the farking mangonels, it's way too late for that! Die, bilge-rat, die!

What are you standing there for? Braeshk? Braeshk?!? (whispered) DID YOU GO AFK?!?!?

*Buccaneer-Beatdown!*

Oh, *beep*!!!!!

~Dune Walker~

Back