Animation Planes (Disney)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Disney has released a preview trailer for Planes, a new animated film scheduled to be released August 9th of this year. The trailer has been running in theaters with some of Disney's current movies.

Here is the official description (keep scrolling down for the video! ;))...

From above the world of "Cars" comes "Disney's Planes," an action-packed 3D animated comedy adventure featuring Dusty (voice of Dane Cook), a plane with dreams of competing as a high-flying air racer. But Dusty's not exactly built for racing—and he happens to be afraid of heights. So he turns to a seasoned naval aviator who helps Dusty qualify to take the defending champ of the race circuit. Dusty's courage is put to the ultimate test as he aims to reach heights he never dreamed possible, giving a spellbound world the inspiration to soar. "Disney's Planes" takes off in theaters in 3D on Aug. 9, 2013, and will be presented in Disney Digital 3D™ in select theaters.​

Now besides the questionable use of Dane Cook voicing the lead character, something else is a bit odd about this release. It is not a Pixar movie even though it takes place in the Cars universe. Originally Planes was to be a direct-to-video release under the Disney label but plans were later changed to have a theatrical release.

Besides Dane Cook (who replaced original lead Jon Cryer) other voice talent includes Stacy Keach, Brad Garrett, Teri Hatcher, Cedric the Entertainer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Carlos Alazraqui, Priyanka Chopra, Gabriel Iglesias, Roger Craig Smith, Colin Cowherd, Sinbad, Oliver Kalkofe, Brent Musburger, Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer.

Zero interest in this. I love Pixar, and Often enjoy Disney movies, (Tangled was brilliant) but seriously? Cars didn't deserve a sequel, let alone an expanded universe.

Zero interest in this. I love Pixar, and Often enjoy Disney movies, (Tangled was brilliant) but seriously? Cars didn't deserve a sequel, let alone an expanded universe.
Same here in regards to having zero interest. The storyline is nothing new, I can't stand Dane Cook, and Disney direct-to-DVD sequels are usually lacking. If people actually watch this then I suspect it won't be long before Disney comes up with the brilliant idea of doing "Trains".

I watched Planes the other day and, while it wasn't totally bad, there was nothing original about it. The story line is essentially the same as the first Cars to the point where you could actually swap some of the characters between the two movies and it wouldn't make a difference; Mater & Chug being the most obvious.

With the opening scene taking place over a corn field I was actually expecting it to be worse than it was because, after all, in a world of sentient machines with no organic animals & bugs who is eating the corn? Somebody must have asked the same question during development because there is an odd scene that seems a bit out of place where one of the characters explains that he likes corn based fuel the best.

If some of the scenes seem a bit more than inspired from Top Gun then you'll be happy reading the end credits and seeing that voices of two of military planes are done by Vil Kilmer & Anthony Edwards.... Iceman & Goose!

If you have kids and are just looking for filler to keep them busy then Planes would work. On the other hand if you're a Pixar fan then skip it because Planes, which was released by Disney, not Pixar, comes off as a bit of a cheap clone.

Oh, and instead of Trains I suspect Boats will be involved in the next one because of how many boats with eyes were shown.

I took the niece just because we both like planes a lot...wasn't expecting much in the way of plot or character development, wasn't disappointed.

Oh, and instead of Trains I suspect Boats will be involved in the next one because of how many boats with eyes were shown.

There is one cartoon series, french made. I don't remember exact name of it, but there was a boat named Elias...http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/375607.jpg
So again, all slots are taken out.

P.S. He he, never thought, that sitting with small kids and watching their cartoons can be usefull.

And about planes- it's pretty feating it's role: Nice cartoon for a kid.