Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haydn

• Chopin

• Total voters

caters

Ensign
I am planning on writing a story about a pianist who somehow ends up with the great composers. She ends up in the city where Mozart lives and works known as Mozart city. She meets these composers and they startle her at first. They look so formal and she is just in casual clothing. The composers decide to have a meeting to decide who this 6 year old beginner pianist should learn with first. Also in my story, Beethoven didn't lose his hearing. That or his hearing loss was cured somehow and he has normal hearing again.

Here are their arguments:

Bach: She needs to learn harmony and counterpoint. She needs to have hand independence to play anything past beginner level well. I have composed hundreds of pieces with those concepts in mind. I say she comes with me.

Haydn: You have a point there Bach but she is unlikely to encounter canons and fugues. She is much more likely to come across sonatas and concertos. I basically started sonatas they way they are now when I wrote my first sonata. I say she comes with me. After all, if she is going to play in concerts, she has to learn sonatas at least if not concertos as well.

Mozart: While you may have started sonatas as a genre Haydn, I made them sound more beautiful. Plus my pieces have a lot of trills and Alberti bass. My pieces have worked as warmups for those playing Beethoven or Chopin almost every time. And I have a very beautiful city and she will earn money from learning with me. She may even someday get money directly from me. I say she comes with me.

Beethoven: Oh, Mozart, always boasting about beauty and money. You know that makes me even more hot headed don't you? And yet you keep doing it. Why? Why are we even friends if you keep doing this? Anyway, I say she comes with me. After all, if she is to become super advanced, she will have to learn some of my pieces to get the techniques down for faster Chopin pieces. And don't forget, I expanded upon the sonata form you 2 established, especially in development length.

Chopin: While I might not have written many beginner level pieces, she could always play the difficult ones slower until she gets it into her muscle memory and is able to speed it up. And she would learn my nocturnes before I even bothered teaching her some waltzes I composed. Granted I do use 9ths and 10ths when it is probably uncomfortable to even reach an octave for her, but I had a piano built for me with smaller keys because of my small hands. She could use 1 of those until her hands can go to a 9th on a regular size piano.

So now that you have read all their arguments, which composer do you think she should start with?

It makes me realise that when we write we build our own fantasies into the story. To what extent do we reveal ourselves, good and bad? I ask myself.

Back