Politics Plastic Surgery

Some people become addicted to it though, and don't know when to stop. I guess if you have the money, wreck your body if you want to... Because that's what happens when a quick nip/tuck turns into making you a walking barbie...all plastic.

Right now I was flipping channels on the TV and came to Access Hollywood's plastic surgery special. I was wondering what you guys thought about it. Should a person get plastic surgery to make themselves feel better? Can people ever get carried away with plastic surgery (ex. Michael Jackson)? Do you think that a person should get plastic surgery just to make their breasts bigger, make their nose straighter, ect?

I don't really know. I can see how plastic surgery can help someone increase their self-esteem but it certainly needs to accompanied with alot of time spent on self-reflection and accepting one's flaws. There are some who benefit from plastic surgery (ie. burn victims) but there are some who take the idea to far. But how far is too far? Isn't it their perogative to determine how much plastic surgery they get or can the surgeon have input as well and say enough is enough?

Why do people have to get plastic surgery in the first place? Its usually associated with hollywood and celebrities trying to hold on to youth as long as they can (presumbly). So shouldn't we be focusing on mending society's view on age and people's mentality on physical beauty rather than mending ourselves physically to suit society's view?

i thinl plastic surgery can be a good thing, when its used for the right reason. otherwise i think its gross. my friend got a breast reduction because basically if she didnt, she would destroy her back and basically be a cripple. the same thing when they repair bone clefts and stuff like that. i dont have a problem with that, i just cant imagine why someone would ever go through all that to fix something that prob doesnt need to be fixed, ya know?

i think it's sad that our society is so stuck up and bored that we actually care about how other people think we look. look at britney and mother teresa, who was the better person?

I'm o.k with some of it.
My only problem is the EXTREME. Like breast implants because women will get these huge, perky fakies and they don't even look like breasts anymore! Or when people get face lifts, they make them look scarey, like "didn't you eyebrow used to be two inches down". Other extremes such as complete identy changes like on these realities shows is quite freakish because they completely erase their physical identy to a society prefered one.

~~Spongy!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
My only problem is the EXTREME. Like breast implants because women will get these huge, perky fakies and they don't even look like breasts anymore! Or when people get face lifts, they make them look scarey, like "didn't you eyebrow used to be two inches down".
:lol: Yeah, that's the disturbing kind of plastic surgery, like "didn't you have a nose before?" sort of plastic surgery.

the only good thing about plastic surgery is if you need it after an accident. like a car accident completely disfigures your face, or you are a victim of a fire and your skin is completely burned, things like that is when plastic surgery is good. (or if your husband pours HCl acid so that you're unrecognizable because you betrayed him, the CIA, and your country, (for those who haven't seen the season finale, don't read on)<!--spoilerbs--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>SPOILER </td></tr><tr><td id='SPOILER'><!--spoilerbe--> but you wouldn't need it because your husband's secret love's aunt stabs him and punctures one of his lungs, but in the end, he shoots you as he makes out with his secret love)  :lol: <!--spoileres--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--spoileree-->

i think its up to the person if they want plastic surgery. personally i dont think i would ever do it cuz we were made to be the way we look for a reason and its just disgusting. if you've seen the process its pretty nasty. id be afraid that id wake up in the middle of it and thered be this knife between my skin and my bones lol. i would only do it if i was in an accident and i was like disfigured or something or acid got poured on my face.

Well, it's a though question for me to answer since I had myself plastic surgery ten years ago.(nose job).

I think you can do it if something really bothers you.
It's no about what people think about you , it has to do with your own image.
I mean, I was really disturbed by my nose, and I wad hidding behind my hair!!!(sounds stupid, doesn't it?).

Since I had surgery (I was 20 years old when I did it), I feel better about myself and I guess it helped me in some way. An d I would do it all over again.
But I' wouldn't have my face lift or something like that (sorry for my bad english, I'm french).

marie said:
Well, it's a though question for me to answer since I had myself plastic surgery ten years ago.(nose job).

I think you can do it if something really bothers you.
It's no about what people think about you , it has to do with your own image.
I mean, I was really disturbed by my nose, and I wad hidding behind my hair!!!(sounds stupid, doesn't it?).

Since I had surgery (I was 20 years old when I did it), I feel better about myself and I guess it helped me in some way. An d I would do it all over again.
But I' wouldn't have my face lift or something like that (sorry for my bad english, I'm french).
i dont think that people should have to worry about what others think of their looks. if someone is so shallow to judge you on the way you look, they aren't worth being friends with. what matters is how you act towards others.

the_alliance said:
[it's good to act child-like, but not childish. :D
I like that... :smiley:

If it makes you happy, go for it...I think the media today is doing a fantastic job of glorifying and overexposing it. People are coming to think it's the solution to all of their problems. I think more thought needs to go into it because in my opinion I think a lot of people are doing these extreme things to their bodies simply "beacuse they can" (this of course excludes situations like accidents and birth deformities...I'm talking regular, normal [often times not even bad looking] people jumping on the Plastic Surgery bandwagon). But hey, like stated before, if that's what it takes to boost your self-esteem, go for it.

the_alliance said:
agent hidden eyes said:
i think its a sad way of life...u can never get ur youth back....
who said you ever had to lose it?

it's good to act child-like, but not childish. :D
yea..i mean..going to disneyland and acting like a child..i'm for that...people who change their whole body to be young again..they are only joking themselfs

I don't think I would ever have plastic surgery.

It's fine for other people-whatever, it's their lives-but for me, I like the way I look and I wouldn't want to change it. ;)

Unless plastic surgery is for medical reasons, I think it's not good... though ultimately, it's the individual's decision. But society has become so lookist that the features given to you by genetics isn't good enough. It's kind of sick.

My mom used to say when I was younger that I should get a nose job. Maybe I should, so I could be "prettier"... but you know what? I just don't care. I hate my nose, but I've gotten used to it, and if I got it changed now, it'd be so embarrassingly obvious.

Face lifts, botox, etc... all that is for people who are afraid to get old. Unfortunately for them, it's one of the most natural things that happens to people. I say grow old gracefully... and be proud that you live to be that old.

I'm fine by it. Actually before u have a plastic or cosmetic surgery, u usually undergo an intensive counselling or psyche test. If the surgeon feels you're emotionally prepared then, you'll be sked for you op. Having a nose job or breast reduction is fine by me...but the plastic surgery Michael Jackson had, is just too much..he's got big issues to settle and I'm upset at why those doctors didn't warn him of the side effects of getting those enhancements ten times!

Back