Politics Playing the Race Card

Jamison said:
But you don't call someone who's Asian "yellow" or "tan" because of their skin color.  Anymore than you'd call a Native American "red".

You use black and white not really referring to someone's race...but to refer to their skin color.
[post="1298726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I use black because I'm referred to as white.
And of course i dont call native americans "red".

AliasHombre said:
I use black because I'm referred to as white. 
And of course i dont call native americans "red".
[post="1299100"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And I'm not saying that 'white' is really politically correct. Whatever happened to caucasian?

I personally don't care what people call me...but I can see why some African Americans might take offense to being called black.

Jamison said:
And I'm not saying that 'white' is really politically correct.  Whatever happened to caucasian?

I personally don't care what people call me...but I can see why some African Americans might take offense to being called black.
[post="1299132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
what the hell? of all the problems in the world, we're concerned about whether people are "black" or "African-American." good lord...all race is is the color o fthe skin - i don't think you can distinguish between the two. i happen to be white (something that i don't really care if i'm called) and of all my black friends, i can't think of one who minds being called "Black." i even heard Whoopi Goldberg interviewed once, and she objected to being called "African-American." She said she was born in AMerica, not Africa. so, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. in the meantime, why don't we worry about the fact that race relations have a long way to go; the fact that there is still an enormous amount of de facto segregation in the US, and the majority of poverty-stricken people are minorities; and the fact that minorities still face an enormous amount of discrimination, instead of worrying about politically-correct terminology.

xdancer said:
what the hell?  of all the problems in the world, we're concerned about whether people are "black" or "African-American."  good lord...all race is is the color o fthe skin - i don't think you can distinguish between the two.  i happen to be white (something that i don't really care if i'm called) and of all my black friends, i can't think of one who minds being called "Black."  i even heard Whoopi Goldberg interviewed once, and she objected to being called "African-American."  She said she was born in AMerica, not Africa.  so, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.  in the meantime, why don't we worry about the fact that race relations have a long way to go; the fact that  there is still an enormous amount of de facto segregation in the US, and the majority of poverty-stricken people are minorities; and the fact that minorities still face an enormous amount of discrimination, instead of worrying about politically-correct terminology.
[post="1299235"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think that all this confusion over what to call races is a reflection of the confused state of race relations in the U.S.

Oh wow, there has been some things going on in here. Anyway, I was watching VH1 last night and there have this mini-series called "Race-O-Rama" and I found that two episodes that I watched to be entertaining and informative. And concerning the whole terminology that has been going on, I'm just going to say African American because that's what I'm used to saying and if that offends someone then I'm sorry.

The first episode was about interracial dating. It is still a taboo topic but not as much as it was a few years ago. I myself am not against interracial dating despite the fact that my parents are incredibly prejudice towards African American and Latin people. I don't think love has a color. And if the individual who created humans (whoever that may be depending your religion) really wanted everyone to be the same color then he/she would have done so but thankfully they didn't. Why should anyone limit themselves to just dating their own race??

The second episode was called "Black-a-phobia" which African American celebrities spoke about the myths about their race. Some of them even admitted to using the stereotype to their advantage. I actually thought this episode was more interesting then the first first one.

And I have another bus story that happened to me this past week. And, it did not invovled Ms. Drama Queen.

As I was boarding the bus home an African American man (who was in his 40's) only paid 50 cents!!! He refused to pay the rest because he claimed that he didn't have it and had such an attitude. The bus driver (who was an elderly Asian man, he had to be in his 60's) yelled at him but didn't want to hold up everyone so he drove on. When the African American man went to step off the bus the driver said that next time he'd call the police. The man said, "Yeah, call the FBI!" He got back on the bus and tried to PUNCH the driver! He missed and a man that was larger than him got in front of him. He stepped off and repeated his FBI line again. What the heck is wrong with people?!

Back