PlayStation 3: Death of Sony

Karetyr

Cadet
Seriously, I think the PS3 has doomed Sony's console efforts. It's just a crappy system - the PS2 is better than the PS3 in terms of usability. I just bet that Sony will go the way of Sega.

I don't understand where your validity is in this statement. The PS3 is the fastest selling Playstation, and if linked to the 360 on a month by month sales from release dominates it.

2million consoles sold in 3 1/2 months. That's just America & Japan.

Euro release is this month, and they have record number pre-orders.

Death where?

Well it took Sega roughly 5 systems to give up and become a software company. Also basically Sony can coast on PS2 profits for.. Until Playstation 5 and by then they'd have learned from their compeditors. Which Sony does do best. Not to mention this past xmas the PSP actually picked up steam in a market dominated by Nintendo and always had dominated. It's not like Sony's PSP will ever take over the game boy market, but it can share it. I think the ratio is like 85% of PSP owners also own a DS. Which means Sony can at least leech off other profits and then hope later on in the PS3's life cycle it'll draw gamers in with great games.
I mean they're going to have the God of War series on it. Metal Gear Solid. The Devil May Cry games. The Final Fantasy series. There's a lot of gamers out there who'll put up with crappy software to enjoy the titles they've always enjoyed.
But I agree. The PS3 was a tad too ambitious. It's over priced for what it's capable of. It's launch was shameful compared to the PS1's second Christmas sales and the PS2 launch. But eh.. I don't see any death anytime soon. Maybe a busted rib and a cut over their eye, but Sony can heal up nice.

The Wii has by far outsold the PS3, and I'm not entirely sure it's just because the PS3 only released a small amount of consoles at first.

From what I understand, the Wii is still selling out in a lot of places. Sure it's cheap, but it's also really really fun <3

And maybe because it's a whole different vibe.

Look, consoles aren't a sprint, they're a marathon.

PS3 has the goods, easy.

Lol, even if the PS3 doesn't do well, Sony can handle. The Wii sold more consoles, but the PS3 costed more, and probably made the same amount or more than the Wii. And as others said, they will learn from competidors. Also, as with the Sega, PS2 and PS1 will be around for years. I personally will buy a PS3 for the game sereies' that I never finished.

Aye but I don't think the Wii was built to last 10 years. I think it'll just be a hardware upgrade if anything. Same Wii coolness, same Wii goodness. LoL

The only thing about the Wii that I'm like eh about is that soon the new Wii's will be able to play DVDs. Hopefully I'll be able to send mine in to get it upgraded or something, because I have some downloaded games on mine. :/

The Wii is a great console, don't get me wrong. However, I don't understand peoples mindset when they say the Wii has outsold the PS3. That's like ranking the #1 selling console to the #2 selling console, and saying #2 sucks because it is behind #1.

The mindset is that the Wii has sold more units?

Doing a bit of math using the units sold on wikipedia for each console, the Wii has made quite a bit more as well.

I also took into consideration that the PS3's were sold for 500 and 600, so I used 600 for all of them.

So here are the numbers: The Wii at 250 each came to a grand total of

$1,035,000,000

And the PS3 (at 600 each, which we know they didn't all sell for)

$966,000,000

Now I know that isn't all profit.. But it makes for a good argument!

This is just hearsay, but I've read a lot of things saying the Wii's are still selling out of stores like crazy, and the PS3's just sit there.

Besides, I never said the PS3 sucks, I just said I love the Wii. Which is true.
I would probably love the PS3 too if it was cheap and had decent games.

Sort of reminds me how they sell more Hyundai Excels than Porsche Boxters.

One is cheap and cheerful and one isn't. One sells more than the other. But does anyone in their right mind call the Porsche Boxter inferior to the Hyundai Excel? Do I need to say anymore?

We won't be buying it anytime over the next year or so. We play PS2 daily, but the cost of PS3 simply isn't worth the console in our opinions.

WII... now that is a great console. Be nice when more games come out for it.

I am still having trouble finding the Wii, I love the PS2 alot and im happy to wait a little bit longer for hte price of ps3 to go down.

IMO the new "generation" of consoles was enforced on the market way to early.
As I've seen it, the best games always comes after a few years after the release and I didn't consider PS2 dead, far from it. It was just about to reach its peek of game titles. Some of the latter titles looks really really good as well, guess it takes some time to really start using the hardware, hehe.

Anyway; so far there's no game released to PS3 that makes me even consider getting that console (especially not with that pricetag). I would however recommend everyone to get them self a PS2.

Around where I live, there's still a very long preorder queue to get a Wii, and the preorders of PS3 aint even close. The last preorder-drive is that you get 2/3 of the price off, if you turn in a PS2 (fat or slim) with 10 games when you preorder the PS3.. that sound pretty desperate in my ears...
(however.. it did work on my nintendo fanboy friend *grins*)

Back