Point Pleasant

V

verdantheart

Here's an interesting upcoming series from Marti Noxon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. From the Futon Critic:

Something wicked this way comes to a usually quiet New Jersey beach town, when a sudden, violent storm washes in more than the tide in the new drama series POINT PLEASANT premiering Thursday, Jan. 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

After local lifeguard Jesse Parker (Sam Page) sees the beautiful Christina Nickson (Elisabeth Harnois) floating in the ocean, he dives into the dangerous waters to save her life and bring her to safety. Little does Jesse know that his heroic rescue heralds the beginning of all hell breaking loose.

Jesse brings Christina to the home of local doctor Ben Kramer (Richard Burgi). The Kramers, including Ben's wife Meg (Susan Walters) and daughter Judy (Aubrey Dollar), take an instant liking to Christina and invite her stay with them as she searches for clues to her past and attempts to find her mother - coincidentally a Point Pleasant native - whom Christina never knew. Unbeknownst to Christina, her presence is having a profound effect on Point Pleasant's inhabitants, awakening repressed feelings, unlocking secret desires and heightening emotions. [Some of these spoilers significant:]
Tensions flare between Jesse, who finds himself inexplicably drawn to Christina, and his best friend, Terry (Brent Weber), who secretly lusts after Jesse's possessive girlfriend, Paula (Cameron Richardson). Paula's hot-to-trot mother, Amber (Dina Meyer), attempts to rekindle her relationship with the good Dr. Kramer. And long-buried secrets kept by Jesse's parents, Police Captain Logan (Alex Carter) and God-fearing Sarah (Clare Carey) begin to surface, especially when the darkly mysterious and charismatic Thomas Boyd (Grant Show) moves into town and insinuates himself into Christina's new life.

As Christina looks for answers to her mother's disappearance, she will come to realize that she has never known her "real" father either - for Christina is the offspring of a mortal woman and the Devil. While Christina struggles to control the demons inside her (and the powers that come with it), the fight for her soul has begun and the town of POINT PLEASANT has turned into the ultimate battleground of good versus evil.

I read recently that Noxon is attempting to sign James Marsters to guest. I wonder if it will be a recurring role. Knowing Noxon, she'll find some way to take his shirt off . . . <_<

aliasfanjay said:
How is it rating? Could help give an indication on when or if it will start in Australia.
[post="1177094"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Good question--my Nielson source went down again. But it has an uphill battle because it's up against the #1 show, CSI. Hopefully, Fox will take that into account. On the plus side, Fox overloaded their schedule with reality felgercarb that is bombing, so they are starving for scripted series. Because of this, they might be forced to be patient. -_-

I tried their Johnny Zero, which had some good-looking ads . . . wasn't too impressed. I'm giving this one a longer try, even though I'm tempted to subtitle it "Evil Wears a Bikini". :lol: (I get the strongest impression that the only way they got Fox to bite was to downplay the evil and stress the kids-in-beachwear/sex angle . . . that's what we saw more of in the pilot. ;))

Don't hold me to this but I think Wednesday's ratings were about 11 million and Thursday's were about 8 million. I don't remember off the top of my head though.

From Sci Fi Wire:

Point Fate Not Pleasant?

Marti Noxon, executive producer of Fox's struggling supernatural series Point Pleasant, told SCI FI Wire that she and the writing staff are crafting a season finale that will provide a sense of closure in part because she doubts the show will get picked up for a second season. The finale will leave some threads dangling, but will also wrap things up for fans who tuned in to all 13 episodes. "I'm pretty much counting on not coming back," Noxon said in an interview. "Our numbers make [Fox's quickly canceled series] North Shore look like a hit. That sucks, but I've gotten past the pain."

Point Pleasant stars Elisabeth Harnois as Christina Nickson, the teenage daughter of the devil and a mortal woman, whose presence in the town of Point Pleasant, N.J., kicks off the ultimate battle between the forces of good and evil.

"The only thing that kills me is that I feel like the show got a lot better as we found what worked and what didn't work," Noxon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) said. "You go through this process and see results, and you're already dead, which is hard. And we are plotting the finale so that it will be satisfying if we get canceled. But it's also a big fat cliffhanger so we can continue the second season in my backyard sock puppet theater." Point Pleasant airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

GarnerForEmmy said:
It looks like it's going to be cancelled.
[post="1280243"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Not "looks like"; has been. ;)

Stick a fork in it.

Never did quite come together, did it? I wanted to give it a shot because of the Buffy credentials, but I can't say I'm crying in my beer. When I talk to my husband about it, I tend to call it Evil Wears a Bikini. ;)

I'm not surprised. It was a decent premise with a pretty good pilot, but it rapidly went downhill after that. Supernatural-OC just don't work, American TV execs!...

Back