Action Polar (2019)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Polar

Tagline: If the job doesn't kill you, retirement will.

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama

Director: Jonas Åkerlund

Cast: Mads Mikkelsen, Vanessa Hudgens, Katheryn Winnick, Fei Ren, Ruby O. Fee, Matt Lucas, Robert Maillet, Anthony Grant, Josh Cruddas, Lovina Yavari, Ayisha Issa, Pedro Miguel Arce, Anastasia Marinina, Richard Dreyfuss, Inga Cadranel, Jill Frappier, Nia Roam, Julian Richings, Johnny Knoxville, Roman Lebeau, Dmitry Chepovetsky, Sofia Grossi, Marsha Mason, Ken Hall, Calwyn Shurgold, Emily Debowski, Jamillah Ross, Michael Ayres, Maria Nash, Moon Mason, Oksana Zilinskas, Callum Shoniker, Ava Augustin, Connor Laidman, Robert Clarke, Craig Burnatowski, Joe Delfin, Yana Gold, Drew Catherine, Brandy Dawley, Sima Fisher, Pastel Supernova, Carrie Eklund, Lee Villeneuve, Neven Pajkic, Andrei Kovski, Nobuya Shimamoto, Matt Birman

Release: 2019-01-25

Runtime: 118

Plot: When a retiring assassin realizes that he is the target of a hit, he winds up back in the game going head to head with a gang of younger, ruthless killers.
Polar (2019)

I'm finding that I like the Netflix films more often than not. Far above and beyond anything Syfy can do.

Favorite scene: The laser gloves! Freaking wow!

The characters are larger than life but hey, it is based on a comic book.

You should check it out.

My First Watch Rating: 8 out of 10 Bullets!

My wife and I just watched this tonight, and it was pretty good. It was deliberately over the top in many senses, which my wife loved. She is a fan of movies like this, and Kill Bill, while I prefer something slightly more grounded in reality like John Wick.

Yes, the laser glove scene was the coolest part, and I was waiting for it all movie! I also actually liked how it ended, though I won't spoil it. I also loved the scene where he volunteers to teach school kids about his "experiences" in other countries.

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of gore and blood, so I could have done without that, but I get why it's in there. But I love Mads Mikkelson.

I would give it a 7 out of 10, worth watching, but probably not something I'd watch again.

Offline my brother recommended this one to me as well, said I'd like it. It's supposed to be snowing here in the morning so I think I'll try to get this one squeezed in between conference calls. :D

Offline my brother recommended this one to me as well, said I'd like it. It's supposed to be snowing here in the morning so I think I'll try to get this one squeezed in between conference calls. :D
Took longer than expected but I finally got to see this one. My response is about the same as @tizl, not bad but certainly not great and not something I'd make a point of watching again. Like the comments above, the laser gloves were cool; unfortunately there isn't much else that hasn't been seen already in other similar movies.

Mikkelson in the main role is what really saves this one. As long as he was involved Netflix could easily do a couple of sequels to have their own version of the John Wick franchise.