Politics General

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
i hate republicans 'nuff said. davis is being blamed for the loss of money on california's budget, but i say it was bush's fault in the first place...grrr....:mad:
how do you come to that conclusion?

The fact is, California lost 54 Million dollars due to Gray's committee.....even the people of california are complaining and leading the charge for a recall....the president has nothing to do with it so why bring him in on it? Honestly, there are 193 different candidates for this new job, that says enough for me that California is in desperate need of a NEW and better governor. In this case Arnold Schwarzennegger is the most likely candidate just because everyone knows his name. But although he may be an actor he's been very political throughout the years and helps out with donations throughout the year continuously.

Existentialist said:
crazy spinster said:
okay, i just got here and i've been spending a most of the time reading back a bit and can i just say - ENOUGH WITH THE FRIGGIN' QUOTES.  please edit.  it makes it easier on the eyes.  ;)  thank you.  :D

as for whether the war is actually over or not - that's up for a matter of debate.  the major fighting is over, but there are still skirmishes everyday, soldiers are still getting killed because they're over there doing something that they weren't trained for.  they're soldiers, NOT policemen and they shouldn't be used as such. 

and while i've been reading back, i've only heard one or two mentions of the WMD (weapons of mass destruction).  in my opinion, those were the very foundation of going to war with iraq.  i've said it before and i'll say it again - calling the war "operation: iraqi freedom" was a COMPLETE misnomer.  bush's primary purpose was to find those WMDs and destroy them.  the fact that they have found NONE whatsoever does a lot to shake his credibility as a president (not that he had much to begin with, in my opinion).  the fact that he tried to brush this off onto the CIA shows poor leadership.  when the bay of pigs occurred, kennedy didn't try to point fingers at the CIA;  he took responsibility for the incident himself as a good president should. 

so it's starting to look as if this war happened for no good reason.  yes, good did come out of it with saddam gone, but the main reason i was so opposed to this war was because it sets an extremely bad precedent for the rest of the world.  we launched a pre-emptive strike on another country with circumstantial evidence that's starting to look more and more imaginary.  what's to stop, say, india and pakistan from going at one another?  heck, the U.S. did it, why can't we?  we think the other side has WMDs that could hurt us, so let's just go ahead and wipe them out then go look for these supposed weapons. 

blah, i know i'm repeating the argument i made months ago, but my argument is even stronger now that we're realizing that these WMDs -bush's reasons for going to war - may not have even existed in the first place. 

so the main question you have to ask yourself is:  why did we even go to war in the first place?  yes, the iraqis have been "liberated" but that was just a "side effect."  bush's primary intention was to get rid of those WMDs which is impossible because they most likely did not exist.  the fact that he dethroned a dictator and "freed" the iraqi people was just a bonus for him, in my opinion. 

and now that everyone has left and the major debating has finished, i will post this long-ass response.  late, as usual, cherry.  :rolleyes:  ;)
:Points to Cherry: Yeah, what she said! :lol:

And didn't I say before that the only way this war would be justified for me is if Saddam was killed and WMD were found? Well... it seems that neither has been done... but a whole lot of people sure have died.

Basically, all I have to add is that since when is the US the world police? The US shouldn't feel the need to fix every since problem in the world. That's why I bought up the alarmingly high rate of illiteracy in Georgia. And yes, more tax dollars SHOULD go towards education. I think education is really quite important... don't you?
Exactly!

I don't know how a democracy will work in Iraq, but I really hope it does. But I mean when will the USA leave Iraq, they've been occupying it for so long?

Oops sorry cherry I quoted! ARGhh! lol

the US is just staying over there to protect the citizens of Iraq from terrorists who are still to this day living there and attacking the US Troops. Democracy will work, the Iraqi people and the US and other nations must fight for them in order for the Tyranny to fall and for them to get back up on their feet.

Exactly! If we were to leave Iraqi now, the country would never be able to recover from the opression they have had to experience. They don't know how to handle the freedoms they have been given after living under the totalitarian rule of Saddam.

I think he has a good chance, not only for the name, but he has the money, he donates, he has a great political view to help the economy of CA, he is a foreigner which might help as well. Doesn't this make sense?

Milo47 said:
the US is just staying over there to protect the citizens of Iraq from terrorists who are still to this day living there and attacking the US Troops. Democracy will work, the Iraqi people and the US and other nations must fight for them in order for the Tyranny to fall and for them to get back up on their feet.
but who are we to impose our form of government on another country? just because democracy works for us doesn't mean it will work for everyone and we have no right to force another country to accept it.

as for schwarzenegger, i don't know his platform yet, so i can't say much about him. just that he has a lot to prove if he wants to take this job. yes, he has been involved in politics for a long time now but that doesn't mean that he necessarily has the experience to run an entire state, especially one that's in such bad condition like california. and i don't think he'll win just because he's so well known. if people vote for him just because they've heard of him, then that's just wrong. you vote based on what the candidate has to offer, not what the candidate's name is and how many movies he's been in.

personally, i'm starting to think that i might just vote against this recall. it's getting ridiculous. we have almost 200 (i don't know why the media started reporting 400 earlier) candidates and it's just become a circus with people like gary coleman and larry flynt running. davis has one year left. ONE YEAR. will anyone really be able to change everything in one year? i highly doubt it. also, do you know how much this recall is going to cost california? 60 million dollars. we're in the biggest deficit we've ever been in, yet we're going to spend 60 million dollars to kick him out when he only has one year left? and what if he DOESN'T get kicked out? so we've spent 60 million dollars on what? nothing. yes, i suppose you could say that it goes to show how bad the situation is in california that we're willing to spend that much to oust him when we don't even have that much money to begin with but, in my opinion, i think we're just digging an even deeper hole for ourselves.

(and when i write "you" in my post, i mean you in general, i'm not speaking to anyone in particular.)

and lawrence - that's okay with the quotes. just as long as we don't have like ten quotes in one post like we did several pages ago. that drove me crazy. :P

people were getting killed in Iraq, that's why we wanted to get involved in another country....the US has the power and the determination to get rid of tyranny like that and I believe that we should go over there and help them out if they need it.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
i hate republicans 'nuff said. davis is being blamed for the loss of money on california's budget, but i say it was bush's fault in the first place...grrr....:mad:
Your post takes the cake as the dumbest thing said....

AliasHombre said:
G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
Your post takes the cake as the dumbest thing said....
HAHAHA!!!!!!! I'm lovin' that one!!!!!

Education does need money, education is what drives this countries different generations to make this country grow up! So I believe that Education money is definitely a necessity!

Of course there are problems...there are consequences w/ every action. Does that mean we should stop giving money to education and stop trying so everything ends in ruins?

I do feel education to be one of the areas that requires more money, b/c of all the changes that NEED to be done.

Back