[POLL] Do you still use film cameras?

Do you still use film cameras?

• Yes, but I'm planning on going digital.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have kids -- I cannot imagine still using a film camera. When we went to Disney World, I probably took 500 pictures. Sure, 30% of them were basically felgercarb, but those remaining 350 pictures were definitely keepsakes. If I'd had a film camera, I probably would have taken... what, maybe 5 rolls? 6? As much as 10? That's 240 pictures, max, and the same 30% rule would apply.

That would be sukekee. :(

I have kids -- I cannot imagine still using a film camera. When we went to Disney World, I probably took 500 pictures. Sure, 30% of them were basically felgercarb, but those remaining 350 pictures were definitely keepsakes. If I'd had a film camera, I probably would have taken... what, maybe 5 rolls? 6? As much as 10? That's 240 pictures, max, and the same 30% rule would apply.

That would be sukekee. :(
I'm find myself being surprised when I come across people using film yet (except, of course, for professionals and even there the tide is turning). I've been using digital now long enough that I could never imagine using film/tape again for any reason but short enough that I still mourn for the SLR sitting in the closet and some of the P&S in boxes somewhere (I think there is a Canon Photura in the computer room hiding behind a box).

my problem now with film is the fact that since i got into digital i may only take 5-6 pics with a film camera and then put it away and forget it is there for a year or two. by then i forgot what is on the film in the first place. at my age forgetting is..........um, what was i saying........oh yeah, it is easier done than said.

my problem now with film is the fact that since i got into digital i may only take 5-6 pics with a film camera and then put it away and forget it is there for a year or two. by then i forgot what is on the film in the first place. at my age forgetting is..........um, what was i saying........oh yeah, it is easier done than said.
But what draws you to continue using film?

I am a digital man myself, as for richness, thats what Photoshop is for (or if your like me and can't afford it GIMP :P)

Just don't do what I did and break your LCD viewer, THAT will turn any camera into a a paperweight.

I am a digital man myself, as for richness, thats what Photoshop is for (or if your like me and can't afford it GIMP :P)

Just don't do what I did and break your LCD viewer, THAT will turn any camera into a a paperweight.
I haven't broken an LCD viewer yet but dead pixels are the bane of my digital existence. It kills me that most companies have a threshold of many dead pixesl on the viewer is 'acceptable' before they'll do work under warranty.

:banghead:

One of my hobbies that I relax with is playing around with cameras. The fascination goes back quite a few years and, naturally, being a technology geek I stopped shooting with film cameras some time ago and shoot strictly digital. I've finally got the rest of the family shooting digital as well. There is still an SLR floating around the family but I don't think anybody has used it in recent memory.

Today, as I was reading some of photography blogs, I came across the news that Polaroid, who already exited the camera business two years ago, is now exiting the film business as well! :eek:

For you fans of the Polaroid Instant cameras, you better start stocking up on those film packs now.

That news got me thinking... how many 'average' users are still shooting with film? It seems like everybody is shooting digital now. Go to any wedding and you'll find a half-dozen people following the hired photographer around, all toting their own equipment. Look around at the next local kids baseball or soccer game and you can find a sea of black & silver cameras in the bleachers.

So if you aren't shooting digital already, are you planning to? Or will you be hanging on to your 35mm film until it goes the way of the disc film cartridges?

I use to use one all the time but the LED lighthttp://www.ledlightswarehouse.com on it broke, so now I can't see the pictures I take >< I'm still able to actually take pictures though, lol.

One of my hobbies that I relax with is playing around with cameras. The fascination goes back quite a few years and, naturally, being a technology geek I stopped shooting with film cameras some time ago and shoot strictly digital. I've finally got the rest of the family shooting digital as well. There is still an SLR floating around the family but I don't think anybody has used it in recent memory.

Today, as I was reading some of photography blogs, I came across the news that Polaroid, who already exited the camera business two years ago, is now exiting the film business as well! :eek:

For you fans of the Polaroid Instant cameras, you better start stocking up on those film packs now.

That news got me thinking... how many 'average' users are still shooting with film? It seems like everybody is shooting digital now. Go to any wedding and you'll find a half-dozen people following the hired photographer around, all toting their own equipment. Look around at the next local kids baseball or soccer game and you can find a sea of black & silver cameras in the bleachers.

So if you aren't shooting digital already, are you planning to? Or will you be hanging on to your 35mm film until it goes the way of the disc film cartridges?

I stopped using film cameras the moment I tried digital. The main reason I don't use it anymore is because most of my shooting is done in the dark, and it is much easier to see what's going on with the led light screen to look at in my opinion. Now, if I shot outdoors and during the day think I would rather use film just because it's old school and it's what I used to do all the time.

No, we gave up on film cameras in my household years ago. Neither my wife or me are camera fanatics, but own a couple nice digital ones that work for our purposes, which would include random family and friends pics and photographing my artwork so it can be sold.

Back