Postponement of 'Fiddler'

In an unusual twist, the cost of protection against possible terrorist attacks has postponed production of the new television movie of the classic musical Fiddler on the Roof.

• For all your theatre needs, visit Playbill On-Line

The New York Post reported Feb. 25 that filming of the project- which was expected to commence in Europe this summer- has proved prohibitively expensive to insure. According to The Hollywood Reporter, movies shooting overseas have to take out additional insurance as a precaution should a terroism-related war break out or a terrorist act suspend production.

The film was to have starred Victor Garber as Tevye, a Jewish dairyman in turn-of-the-century, rural Russia who is tormented by both his independent daughters and anti-Semitic authorities. It would have been the latest work out of the office of Craig Zadan and Neil Meron's Storyline Entertainment, the production company that put together the ratings smashes "Annie" and "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella," as well as the forthcoming Matthew Broderick-Kristin Chenoweth version of "The Music Man" for "Wonderful World of Disney." Zadan and Meron are also producers of the film, "Chicago."

Broadway's Victor Garber, known to a new generation of fans as the spy father on TV's "Alias," will play Tevye the milkman in the planned TV movie, "Fiddler on the Roof." Garber told the Post through his agent, "I'm disappointed that the production is canceled. But this is that state of the world today - it's sad."

A Broadway revival of Fiddler is slated to begin in the fall at the Minksoff Theatre, with Alfred Molina as Tevye.
:(

It's sad, isn't it? We've been commiserating in the Fiddler on the Roof topic.
:(

Oh no ! :( I was really looking forward to this musical too ! I hope that they can eventually make it. That's just really bad news....

I had no idea Victor Garber was going to be in Fiddler on the Roof. That's really neat though! I hope it gets made!

(P.S. I have been in the community theater plays "Annie" "Music Man" and "Fiddler on the Roof" so that's really neat that he's doing them too!)

Right now they still have the option, so hopefully they still plan on having Mr Garber star.
;)