Politics Presidential News Conference

AliasHombre said:
Why are you so opposed to privitazation?
[post="1321385"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm against it, because in reality it's going to give less money to retirees then the current system.

And I don't think people want to use their money in the stock market, and the polls show this. Most people don't understand the stock market, and in order to use it they would have to hire accountants and such. Plus there's no guarentee that they will make money off of their investments.

I won't be retiring for years, but if I was, I wouldn't really want control of that money, afraid it would be squandered. The way it is now, it's a constant every month...with privatization...it wouldn't be.

He said optional privitizations. You don't need an accountant to invest, and you fail to show me how it would mean less money. Treasury bonds don't lose money.

Bush's Social Security Plan Makes Retirement Less Secure
By PAI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related stories: Social security 
By PAI, ILCA Associate Member

From ILCA

WASHINGTON (PAI)--GOP President George W. Bush's partial Social Security privatization plan makes retirement less secure while opening retireees' payments to hazards of "Enronization," AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney says.

In a long, detailed analysis of Bush's privatization scheme, Sweeney also noted the president wants his "private investment accounts" to return only money people would expect above their regular Social Security payments.

"Americans deserve the Social Security benefits we have paid for and we will not accept a privatization plan that makes retirement less secure," Sweeney stated.

"And we will not accept the notion that keeping our elderly out of poverty is not 'fiscally sustainable' while tax breaks for millionaires are," he added.

Bush did not mention the cost of Social Security privatization. His plan would divert one-sixth of the system's payroll tax revenues into the private accounts, starting in 2009.

In his post-election news conference, Bush also said he wanted to convert the nation's universal Social Security pension system from a traditional pension plan to a 401(k)-like "defined contribution plan," such as many corporations now have.

Independent economists and some lawmakers say conversion would cost $2 trillion over a decade for "transition costs" to pay current and pending retirees, even as Social Security's revenue drops. Economists add Bush's tax cuts for the rich cost $1.9 trillion over that time.

"Last night Bush may have been fuzzy about his plans for Social Security," Sweeney said. "But he made clear that when he talks about fiscal discipline, he means disciplining working families and the most vulnerable" to "benefit the very rich. When he talks about an 'ownership' society, he means a 'You're on your ownership' society."

The AFL-CIO has joined a broad-based coalition to fight Bush's privatization scheme, which the president took on the road just after his Feb. 2 speech. But the federation and its partners also plan to draft alternatives to cure Social Security's future ills, which will not start for years.

Those alternatives will provide "common-sense fixes" for Social Security for present and future retirees and for younger workers, Sweeney promised.

But Sweeney spent more of his analysis on faults of Bush's plan. His data were taken from White House background fact sheets and papers. "Here's what we didn't hear," Sweeney said:

Privatizing Social Security would cut guaranteed benefits by 30 percent even for those who do not choose privatized accounts. Workers who choose to open the accounts would get back 50 cents for every dollar in them, "on top of the 30 percent cut in guaranteed benefits."
The average worker who lives 20 years beyond retirement would see a $152,000 cut in guaranteed Social Security benefits. "Privatization would push many more seniors into poverty."
"Privatization would hurt the economy and explode the deficit, passing $2 trillion in debt to our children in the first decade alone. Most of that money would be borrowed from foreign bankers in China and Japan," Sweeney said.
"Privatization would open Social Security up to corruption, waste and Enronization because politicians would hand-pick which Wall Street investment companies could make billions off our privatized accounts."

A study by the very conservative University of Chicago Business School calculated that Wall Streeters would earn $940 billion in commissions off the privatized Social Security accounts. Bush said in his speech that "we'll make sure your earnings are not eaten up by hidden Wall Street fees," but he didn't say how he would achieve that goal.

"Decisions about Americans' retirement security should be based on what's best for average people, not tied to politicians' wealthy friends or companies that have political influence," Sweeney said.

"When the president talks to America about something as serious as working families' retirement security, we need to hear sound facts and straight talk. But that's not what we heard from President Bush," he declared.

There's how it will lose money.

And to Jinnie, I never saw it getting personal...AliasHombre and I have different views, obviously, but we were both just talking about why we agree or disagree with President Bush's plan for social security...I apologize if it got personal, but I never saw it as such.

AliasHombre said:
I can't take that article seriously becasue it keeps saying tax cuts for the rich.
[post="1322576"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It said 'tax breaks for millionaires' only once in the entire article.

The point is, it gives statistics as to why this won't work and will give less money to people collection on Social Security...and more money to big business.

My experiences with the stock marlet are good, as i have made money. Yes, companies use money made from offering stock to expand (ideally), increasing the value of their company, which increases the value of the stock.

By the way it says tax breaks/cuts for the rich/wealthy/millionairs three times.

AliasHombre said:
My experiences with the stock marlet are good, as i have made money.  Yes, companies use money made from offering stock to expand (ideally), increasing the value of their company, which increases the value of the stock..
[post="1322978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well, you're lucky...but not everyone makes money off of the stock market. Many people lose money.

I'm against privatization because it's going to pay out less money to seniors...many seniors rely on it as their only source of income and need every penny.

Bridge the gap between what you say and what will happen. Show some facts.

MOre people make money than lose it in the stock market. The people that risk the most usually have the most, and they are the people who lose the most.

Treasury bonds are the safest things you can invest in.

AliasHombre said:
Bridge the gap between what you say and what will happen.  Show some facts. 

MOre people make money than lose it in the stock market.  The people that risk the most usually have the most, and they are the people who lose the most.

Treasury bonds are the safest things you can invest in.
[post="1323198"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The article I posted showed facts...

The fact is that with the transitional costs and the loss in benefits to those who don't opt into the new plan, this program wouldn't fix social security. Plus there's all the ethical problems in connecting Wall Street with politicians. I really hope the Democrats can stop Bush & Co. from messing this up.

ms.katejones said:
The fact is that with the transitional costs and the loss in benefits to those who don't opt into the new plan, this program wouldn't fix social security. Plus there's all the ethical problems in connecting Wall Street with politicians. I really hope the Democrats can stop Bush & Co. from messing this up.
[post="1323321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I completely agree. (y)

Does anyone agree with me that there is a serious problem here?

A serious problem where?

AliasHombre said:
Oh, my bad.  I mean a serious problem with Social Security.
[post="1324206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well, in that case...no I don't. Statistics have shown that if the economy continues to grow at around the same rate over the next 50 years as it has over the past 50 years, then there will be enough money their for retirees with little or no adjustment.

See, my statistics dont show that.

Just 13 years from now, in 2018, the government will begin to pay out more in Social Security benefits than it collects in payroll taxes – and shortfalls then will grow larger with each passing year.

* By the year 2027, the government will somehow have to come up with an extra $200 billion a year to keep the system afloat.
* By 2033, the annual shortfall will be more than $300 billion a year.
* By 2042, when workers in their mid-20s begin to retire, the system will be bankrupt.

AliasHombre said:
See, my statistics dont show that. 
Just 13 years from now, in 2018, the government will begin to pay out more in Social Security benefits than it collects in payroll taxes – and shortfalls then will grow larger with each passing year.

* By the year 2027, the government will somehow have to come up with an extra $200 billion a year to keep the system afloat.
    * By 2033, the annual shortfall will be more than $300 billion a year.
    * By 2042, when workers in their mid-20s begin to retire, the system will be bankrupt.

[post="1324464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i've only ever seen those on republican thinktank websites. other statistics i've read say it can continue to pay out up to 80% of the benefits for the next fifty years with no change. i guess it just depends. you never know who to trust.

xdancer said:
i've only ever seen those on republican thinktank websites.  other statistics i've read say it can continue to pay out up to 80% of the benefits for the next fifty years with no change.  i guess it just depends.  you never know who to trust.
[post="1324635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Those are the statistics you can find on AARP on other such nonbiased orgainizations...and that statistics that I tend to use, because the other ones, I have also just found on republican based websites.

Jamison said:
AARP on other such nonbiased orgainizations...
[post="1324646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
sorry, i agree with you about social security, but let's be honest. the AARP is unbiased? they're one of the main opposers of Bush's plan. haven't you seen their media campaign...the house that falls down because they wanted to fix a tiny leak in the plumbing?

Back