Pride & Prejudice 2005

Jaimie

Retired
I haven't see it yet, I will the 23rd, but for those who have, discuss it. It stars Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet who falls in love with the one person she can't stand, Mr. Darcy. Based on the novel of the same name written by Jane Austen.

I liked it alot better than I thought I would and KK was wonderful as Elizabeth....but I have to say that the mini-series was better, but that was because they had more time to tell the whole story...and no one plays a better Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth.

this had the exact opposite effect of Brokeback because Pride & Prejudice lacked substance! yes, there was way too many assumptions and i felt like a foreigner listening to English. throughout half of the movie, i was thinking, "what the heck are they saying?" and that meant the crucial part when Mr. Darcy left the note for Lizzie.

the mother was so annoying, but her annoyance was shadowed immensely by those two daughters who giggled at EVERY-FREAKING-THING!

i think there was something missing from the movie, i'm not quite sure what it is, but there was something. how do i know this? because i felt happier when Jane got with Bingley than when elizabeth got with darcy. and the whole "mrs. darcy" thing was a bit trite.

as for their golden globe noms, their chances on winning anything is very slim. not likely to win Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy cuz they are competing with Walk the Line and not likely for Best Actress- Motion Picture Musical or Comedy cuz of Reese Witherspoon's performance as June Carter.

overall rating: 2 stars out of 4

This movie had amazing cinematography, and overall was pretty good --- I was kind of in a bad mood when I saw it, though, so it might have been better than I remember. :lol:

OK, the_alliance, did you actually know the story of Pride and Prejudice before you saw the film? It doesn't sound like it because you wouldn't be ripping Jane Austen's wonderful work.

First, both Brokeback and P&P have a lot of substance, but on different levels. P&P was examing the hardships of women in 19th century England, beign forced to marry for the wellfare of their family, knowing that if they didn't, they would just be a burden. Look at poor Charlotte marrying Mr. Collins - she didn't want to be a burden to her family. BUt many of them wanted love, isn't that what we all want??? Isn't that kind of like Ennis in Brokeback?? Didn't he feel presured by society to be "normal" but knew he wanted more. And this is a different kind of love story. When it was written, people didn't have too much to entertain themselves with except books. It was supposed to be long, looking at every single aspect of two people loving eachother but thinking it is wrong - oh wait that does kinda sound like Brokeback. Are you beginning to see substance?

Second, when Jane Austen wrote this, it was one of the first novels as we know it to be in modern english literature. Mrs. Bennet and the younger sisters are supposed to be annoying and ditsy - they provide the comic relief. And did you not hear Mrs. Bennet say to Lizze - that what else is she to think about with five daughters than marrying off her girls. With no sons in the family to carry the fortune and name, of course she is going to try her hardest to find rich suitors. And in regards to the other sisters - they are 15 and 17! They are ditsy girls who giggled at hot guys! It happens today! And without Lydia and her stupidity, there would be no happy ending in the movie.

Thirdly, you may be right about not knowing what was going on. I can see how it might be kind of hard. But this is one of the best stories in all of litereature and perhaps you should acquaint youself with it. When you do, you will find that the movie left out some parts and changed some parts, but when it is a 2 hour moive, it has to condense the story.

My opion, after reading the book, seeing the miniseris by A&E that many regard as the best adaptation, and the 1940 version, I think this movie ws excellant. Beautifully filmed, superb acting, and a wonderful account of the story, especially for those who are not as familar with the work. I also loved the ending. Maybe it's because I'm such a romantic but I believe that if Jane Austen saw it today, she would like it too. She was all about happy endings and this one did the story jusitce. If may not have been in the book, but it was sweet and showed how much Darcy and Lizzie were inlove and perfect for eachother.

I hope you can view the movie a little differently now - I give 4 stars out of 4

^
^
Totally agree with you!

Pride and Prejudice is probably my favorite story ever. I own and have seen probably every version of this movie (not including the new one) and I am torn between liking the new one and the 1995 mini series with Colin Firth in it. I love both of them and I think they both brought something different to the story. I lIke the 1995 version becase I think it stayed the truest to the book, because it had almost 6 hours to do it. I like the new one because it was pretty darn good and close to the book for only having 2 hours. I think if I HAD to choose I like the 1995 mini series better. I just love Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, no one plays him better! I give the new one 4 out of 4 stars :D

If you go back and look at life in the early 1800's where to story of P&P takes place, you would find that it is a very progressive story with a main charcter as Elizabeth Bennet...who is indepedant (by those day's standards) and has a mind of her own. A women in her posistion, could not go to university or even consider holding a job. The only thing she could do was to marry well. Elizabeth Bennet is looked at as one of the most forward characters (in her day) in literature.

Jane Austen's writing is also considered timeless, because her plots can be transferred to almost any time period. Bridget Jone's Diary is a modern day Pride and Prejudice. The writer wrote the Mark DARCY character with Colin Firth's protrayal of Mr. Darcy in mind. The movie Clueless is a modern day version of JA's Emma.

I will get off my pedistal and just say that P&P is my favorite book of all time. I highly recommend all of Jane Austen's books (6 in all)

Absolutely. Jane Austen's stories translate so well to any time period. That's why they have never once gone out of print. I always remember a line from Mansfield Park - "What strange creatures brothers are?" I think that will always be true.

Anyway, personally, I like the story of Sense and Sensibility the best but maybe because I like the movie so well. It was her first book and so it is a little rough at times. But I love the characters in P&P. They bring a wonderful balance of happiness, silliness, and sadness. Perfection!

The P&P miniseris is so good, I own the DVDs. Colin Firth is perfect as Darcy as he portrayls his inner battle in loving Elizabeth yet feeling it is wrong. I think the new version though gives it more sexiness, in a good way. Actors that are closer to the age Jane Austen intended.

i just finished watching the movie for the second time, and i have to say that it is one of my favourite movies/books/mini-seris of all time. I love the way Jane Austen writes and the way in which the actors and actresses carry it out, even though i thought the mini-series was more like the book, i really really loved the movie, Keria did so well at portraying the character.

And the story of P&P is timeless i love it to pieces :D