Feedback Problems using direct Giphy URLs

Flat copy and paste of the gif url at gify idn't work right.
If you're going to go directly to Giphy.com to grab an image URL then when viewing the individual image choose "Copy Link" in the right sidebar and then use the "GIF Link" URL. Then just copy & paste the URL into the editor and don't using the "img" tag around it (it'll automatically convert the link like a YouTube video does).

I'll take a look a look to see if the 'preview' URLs can be auto-embedded or not.

I tried that. Rt clicking on the gify insert doesn't work...it does nothing.
I also tried a basic copy/paste and I got the first Godzilla image but not the animated gif?
It wasn't till I clicked search gify that I was able to transfer the animated gif to the reply.
Perhaps I did it wrong?
If you look at the url source for the first image you will see it is to an animated gif?

For jpegs, all that is needed is to copy the image and paste it to the reply.
I tried that technique without success.
The only way I was able to post an animated gif was to use the search in gify and click on the image that search gave me.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/IU7KDfmmKCJXi/giphy.gif

In the secomd url I hardcoded the URL in IMG tags
In the first I pasted the direct link url after visiting gify and rt clicking to show image

Last edited:
As you can see, neither results in a posted animated gif.

If I then take the url by copy and paste it into the gify search in the editor, all Godzilla gifs at gify display to which I need to advance the editor to the gif I want.
This causes a loss by convience since I have already located the gify image I want to post.
The URL in the gify search never finds the one I wanted.

Plugging Godzilla into the gify search yeilds all gify gifs, to which I need to advance repeatedly to find.
I scrolled thru the results 15 pages in and STILL never found the gif I wanted to post.
which is

Last edited:
IU7KDfmmKCJXi

Searching the ident also does not yeild any results in the gify interface
Force tagging IMG to the ident also does nothing.
As admin you should be able to see my tagging.
Here is the results for rt clicking and copy image then pasting into the reply
1521873684527.png

It handles the image as a png.
Probably because it is only reading one image in the gif series of images.

Here is a copy image paste from Pinterest
(Different image)
1521873830093.png

It reads this as a png as well
If I view image the URL is https://aliensoup.com/attachments/1521873830093-png.13424/
File type is .13424
That may not have anything to do with displaying animated gifs
I imagine it is an identifier set by the forum display software.

Last edited:
The thing about the gify interface is if you don't have an image in mind, it will work.
You just have to page thru till you find the gif you want to post.
Not really a big deal unless you are wanting a specific image.

Wait!...
Looking at the coding of that gif...
I force coded media=giphy IU7KDfmmKCJXi and /media
It works!
But...how many people are going to force code an image?

Tom, I'm not following what exactly you're doing with the URLs. There should be no reason to do a right-click anywhere to insert a giphy image.

Tom, I'm not following what exactly you're doing with the URLs. There should be no reason to do a right-click anywhere to insert a giphy image.
I was trying to post a gify I found on the gify site, not using the button. Like copy/paste an image without using the image button.
Then I tried to find the same image, using the button and went thru 15 pages and still didn't find it.
In the past, rt clicking an animated gif and pasting the gif into a reply worked (like one from pinterest) but now, it doesn't work.
Rt clicking a gify image from the gify site also does not work to paste into a reply.
Adding just the identifier string into the gify button search also does not work to find the specific gif.
You try to find the Godzilla roar gif using the button. (IU7KDfmmKCJXi) specifically.
Then, when you don't, add just any gif and replace the identifier string with the IU7KDfmmKCJXi string and it works.

(thread split)

To comply with the Giphy terms their images should not be attempted to be linked directly to the individual image, instead they should be linked using the image ID like YouTube videos.

When I'm back at my laptop I'll go into detail.

It used to work, now it don't. Now I have to down load an image, save it, then look the dam thing up on a whole friggen collection, then when my neck is stiff I find the dam thing and friggen paste it......:cool: There is an old handy mans saying, "if it aint broke don't fix it"....;)

It used to work, now it don't. Now I have to down load an image, save it, then look the dam thing up on a whole friggen collection, then when my neck is stiff I find the dam thing and friggen paste it......:cool: There is an old handy mans saying, "if it aint broke don't fix it"....;)
What, exactly, used to work? I just tried the "Giphy" button in the editor and it's working fine.

The clips dealy bob, it worked at one point. Look the room is fantastic, and it just gets better, but I remember when I could go to a image and click n paste it directly to here. Its your ball game of course, but as an old man I can still be cranky. peace back to you....:smiley::smiley::smiley::einstein:

go to a image and click n paste it directly to here
OK, 'cut & paste' is a totally different item versus Giphy images. Giphy images are hosted by giphy.com and, like YouTube or other services, those can't be "right-mouse, get URL" used or copy & pasted in (the URLs can, but not the images).

If you let me know what image from what page you were trying to cut & paste then I can try to duplicate it to see if the problem is either related to the site (eg: Giphy images can't be cut & pasted, only the URLs can be) or if it is something with our server.

Back