Sci-Fi Prometheus

Darkhelmet probably ought to have added some details in that post, that I'm assuming are:

1) His age/beliefs/personal choice
2) Who is accompanying him (ie. parents, GF/Wife who might have a blanket ban)

^ that doesn't mean they aren't in force. Some people find eating meat or animal drug trials unethical, but they're not prohibited by the laws. Just means he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty :P

I enjoyed it, but then I enjoyed the original Alien film as well...certain parts were a bit graphic from a violence standpoint, but overall enjoyed it. Still didn't quite grasp what David's motivation was for many of his actions throughout the movie...definitely went beyond the standard AI mentality (reminded me of HAL)

prometheus-2012.jpg

I just watched it. That, was really cool. It was the best sci-fi flick I've seen this year. I'm going to watch it again.

My wife and I watched it over the weekend. It was ok. (Not terrible, but I've seen better from Ridley Scott.) I do see how it fits in with the whole Alien franchise.

Being someone who has not seen any of the Alien films, not out of protest or anything (I just simply haven't seen them), I thought this film did a fantastic job of making me feel unclear about many things all the way through. I felt like I had MANY more questions than answers. There were some part that were good, but generally for all the hype surrounding this film it was a total letdown. If in theory this is meant to be a prequel to the Alien franchise, you'd think it would have been directed in a way to cater to that fact.

Being someone who has not seen any of the Alien films, not out of protest or anything (I just simply haven't seen them), I thought this film did a fantastic job of making me feel unclear about many things all the way through. I felt like I had MANY more questions than answers. There were some part that were good, but generally for all the hype surrounding this film it was a total letdown. If in theory this is meant to be a prequel to the Alien franchise, you'd think it would have been directed in a way to cater to that fact.

Good evening Section9, nice to meet you.

If I were you, I would have watched the movies in sequence, and not have any questions.

Because for me, Prometheus was the missing puzzle piece to how it all began. I really enjoyed it, because I didn't see any of the movie previews, but knew only very little what to expect (a lot of people were talking about it).

However, I do understand that are some people who didn't like this movie, even after they have seen all the other films.

Good evening Section9, nice to meet you.

If I were you, I would have watched the movies in sequence, and not have any questions.

Because for me, Prometheus was the missing puzzle piece to how it all began. I really enjoyed it, because I didn't see any of the movie previews, but knew only very little what to expect (a lot of people were talking about it).

However, I do understand that are some people who didn't like this movie, even after they have seen all the other films.

I blame my misguided youth for this ;)

Glad to see it does indeed have more context if you've seen the Alien films, contrary to what a friend of mine says who is a die hard Alien franchise fan. Also you mentioned not knowing much about it going in, that's what I did for this, well to be honest for every film I see in the cinema :smiley:, so perhaps this was my downfall in this instance.

By the way, love your sig ;)

I think the unanswered questions worked in my head by producing scenarios that fit with what was presented, based on acquired knowledge over the years. Every time I thought, "Why's he doing that?" "What's that meant to mean?" Things flashed up in my head, the most plausible things I personally associated with what was going on in front of me.

Some people prefer to be fed a complete picture, a story crafted complete. We're all different. In a way I think what was forced to occur in my head rose this film up above the bog standard fare it seemed to be at first glance.

I blame my misguided youth for this ;)

Glad to see it does indeed have more context if you've seen the Alien films, contrary to what a friend of mine says who is a die hard Alien franchise fan. Also you mentioned not knowing much about it going in, that's what I did for this, well to be honest for every film I see in the cinema :smiley:, so perhaps this was my downfall in this instance.

By the way, love your sig ;)

Don't worry about seeing Prometheus before the other ALIEN movies. In 1978, I made the mistake of looking at the illustrated graphic novel of the original ALIEN movie. So there were no great surprises for me, so the cat died of curiosity (complete with "X's" in his eyes, belly-up and stinking up the book store where I saw the graphic novel).

Since then I made sure never to watch any movie trailer for an upcoming film that I really want to see (or glance at a graphic novel of the same movie I'm going to see).

As for my sig, thanks for the complement. I am a comic book fan, since I was a kid, even though I haven't bought one in eons.

PrometheusWallpaper003.jpg

Its nice to hear the big differences of opinion about this film. I loved the fact that Scott has done a indirect prequel and giving us more questions to think about; so many films are spelt out to us recently is nice to see something which lets the viewer think and make up there own mind.

In interviews Scott has said he was always more interested in the massive chair from Alien than the xenomorph. which in the last part of the film is expertly realized

my fave scene is when the engineers ship is nearing take off; the sound FX and visuals and music are some of the best i've ever, ever seen

The one thing that really stood out to me was the development of the creatures, from what they became mixing with the creators, to what they came out of when interacting with humans. It showed that humans in a away spawned their own nemesis.

Film: Prometheus (2012)

I eventually got around to watching all of the Alien series of films for which Prometheus was advertised as a prequel, so it was natural for me to see this one too. I have to say that I watched it with some trepidation as I have reservations about the earlier films; while the first one is a classic and they are all very atmospheric, in general they dwell too strongly on the yuck/horror aspects for my taste.

A brief plot summary, with some spoilers: almost a century into the future, two researchers (played by Noomi Rapace and Logan Marshall-Green) believe that they have discovered pointers to a distant star system in prehistoric cave paintings and manage to persuade a billionaire to fund an expedition to the system. On arrival they discover a vast structure which is gradually revealed as a base for the Engineers, effectively the creators of mankind. Then things start to go horribly wrong in the usual - and depressingly predictable - fashion. You just know that when two members of the team exploring the structure get lost they are going to die horrible deaths; that the mysterious containers which start to leak black fluid are going to have horrible consequences for humans; and that when Rapace's character becomes impossibly pregnant she will be carrying something horrible rather than a human being; and all these duly come to pass.

There are some good aspects to the movie: Michael Fassbender plays a creepy android, Charlize Theron an android-like human, and Rapace is worth watching. There are some strong and atmospheric scenes, and I found the Engineers fascinating: I would very much like to have seen a lot more of them, including more exploration of why they created humanity and why they apparently turned against us, but presumably these developments have been saved for the sequel(s), should they eventually emerge. Instead, what we get is a gross-out yuck/horror gore-fest in the latter part of the film. The frustrating thing is that the potential was there: it has some of the elements of a great SF film but it ended up as yet another horror movie with an SF background and with nothing much new to say. Disappointing.

---------------------------------------

I also started to watch another recent SF film, Chronicle. However, after a quarter of an hour or so it seemed to be going nowhere of interest so I stopped.

(This entry is cross-posted from my science-fiction & fantasy blog.)

Nice review, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Prometheus was a waste. I never liked any of the Alien movies, but the promos for Prometheus teased me enough to watch it on cable. It even had me going through about the middle until the two characters find the alien snakes in the muck. When they popped out and started attacking that just ended it for me. I fast forwarded to see if that was just an anomaly. Nope, and the end was just flat out silly IMO. Oh well.

As for Chronicle, I'd recommend you keep going. It really develops the characters, what happens when kids have the powers, etc. Not saying it was fabulous, just worth sticking with it til the end, unlike Prometheus.

Well, I'd say, that film indeed could be better that it is. Can't say it's total scrap, but also far from epic. But it's just my opinion. May be some fancy high-tech toys there made feelings like" Whoa, I want that too!" H0w ever, I find original Alien and sequel with incredible actress Sigurni Viver much more better.

P.S. May be in 3D prometheus could looks better than in simple HD. :smiley:

Film: Prometheus (2012)

I eventually got around to watching all of the Alien series of films for which Prometheus was advertised as a prequel, so it was natural for me to see this one too. I have to say that I watched it with some trepidation as I have reservations about the earlier films; while the first one is a classic and they are all very atmospheric, in general they dwell too strongly on the yuck/horror aspects for my taste.

A brief plot summary, with some spoilers: almost a century into the future, two researchers (played by Noomi Rapace and Logan Marshall-Green) believe that they have discovered pointers to a distant star system in prehistoric cave paintings and manage to persuade a billionaire to fund an expedition to the system. On arrival they discover a vast structure which is gradually revealed as a base for the Engineers, effectively the creators of mankind. Then things start to go horribly wrong in the usual - and depressingly predictable - fashion. You just know that when two members of the team exploring the structure get lost they are going to die horrible deaths; that the mysterious containers which start to leak black fluid are going to have horrible consequences for humans; and that when Rapace's character becomes impossibly pregnant she will be carrying something horrible rather than a human being; and all these duly come to pass.

There are some good aspects to the movie: Michael Fassbender plays a creepy android, Charlize Theron an android-like human, and Rapace is worth watching. There are some strong and atmospheric scenes, and I found the Engineers fascinating: I would very much like to have seen a lot more of them, including more exploration of why they created humanity and why they apparently turned against us, but presumably these developments have been saved for the sequel(s), should they eventually emerge. Instead, what we get is a gross-out yuck/horror gore-fest in the latter part of the film. The frustrating thing is that the potential was there: it has some of the elements of a great SF film but it ended up as yet another horror movie with an SF background and with nothing much new to say. Disappointing.

---------------------------------------

I also started to watch another recent SF film, Chronicle. However, after a quarter of an hour or so it seemed to be going nowhere of interest so I stopped.

(This entry is cross-posted from my science-fiction & fantasy blog.)
Hi I just found this Film company on Facebook

they are making a sci fi short and it looks like in the style of Alien my favorite sci fi!!!

I am really looking forward to it!
What do you guys think?

have you heard about any cool sic fi shorts!!

I must say though, I have been a fan of the Alien movies a long time and I enjoyed Prometheus as well. I guess with all movies it has to be something you're into to really enjoy it.

Back