Proof Humanity is in Decline

Had a long post written, accidentally clicked something with the little touch-pad mouse and it was gone. I hate that damn thing... Anyway, it's messed up, but I do see the need for better sex education in our own country. But, I mean... Yeah, that's crossed the line between sexual education and into pedophilia. I honestly don't care, it's just not something I'd be comfortable with; Kind of like the whole "marry your 13 year old daughter off to your 30 year old friend" thing that some societies have.

Anyway, the whole "It's because they don't believe in God" thing did piss me off, and I thought that was just as messed up as the subject of the article. Teach your kids to be nymphomaniacs, or teach them to hate a distrust someone just because they believe something different? Well, personally, I'd rather hang out with a nympho. *shrug* Like I said, it's no something I agree with, but I honestly don't give three shakes of a stick.

I wouldn't say this is proof of anything. I'd say it's just another crackpot idea that someone managed to slip in between the cracks, and which then got picked up by the media.

Some people have strange theories. Tom Cruise thinks psychology is a giant evil lie, plenty of people claim humans never landed on the moon, and even today, people in Asia practice ancient traditional "medicinal" practices such as eatting powdered fossils and stones.

I highly doubt that most Germans would consider this advice to be reasonable, even with Germany being as weird as it often is. But even if they do, it's nothing new. Perversion in all its forms has been done to death. If you can think of a sexual taboo, someone has done it at some point in time. For years people have decried taboos as destroying culture and society, but the evidence just isn't there.

The biggest thing about this is that it's just medically stupid. The vast majority of children witness no sexual development until the normal ages of puberty. Sometimes you will see a rare occurance of a young girl entering puberty very early, but overall this is the extreme exception.

Anyone who advocates something like this is simply deluding themselves. They're the type of people who are likely to advocate Electroshock Muscle Stimulation to increase body muscle mass, or Magnetic Field Therapy to soothe and relax the soul. It's all just ridiculous ideas that people claim are gospel. Eatting a bull's testicles won't increase your sexual endurance, but dang if the guy selling them isn't making money off of silly, gullible people.

~Dune Walker~

Some people have strange theories. Tom Cruise thinks psychology is a giant evil lie, plenty of people claim humans never landed on the moon, and even today, people in Asia practice ancient traditional "medicinal" practices such as eatting powdered fossils and stones.

A bit OT, but it seems you truly live in the current paradigm.

I don't understand what you mean.

~Dune~

"-scientists in all historic periods do not strive to introduce new theories but prefer to work within an established conceptual framework, or what the scholar Thomas Kuhn has referred to as a paradigm."

That's a quote out of my history textbook. Who'd've thought it'd come in handy so soon? *shrug*

Part of the current scientific paradigm, eh? Hmm. Well, I don't claim to believe in anything, scientific or not, unless I see some sort of evidence. Even then, I'm skeptical enough that if the data changes, so does my opinion. So I think I'd contest that claim.

Psychology has the evidence of many years that it works. Still, I don't agree with a lot of it. I think it is too clinical and formulaic. To me, it is like logic: a place to start, a foundation. But if you try to only use logic to solve every problem, then at times it will fail you because the problem exists outside of the realm of pure logic. I think that psychology is a useful tool in combatting many different mental and emotional problems, but at the time I fear that it is driving people to think of minds as machines rather than as people.

Moon landings and the conspiracies surrounding them I find to be a silly debate, because time and time again those conspiracies just slip from somewhat plausible into really insane rambling. The moment I see any reasonable evidence, I'll investigate it.

And I have nothing against traditional medicine, as long as it makes sense and has some evidence to back it up. Ginseng? Great stuff. Accupuncture? It works! Many traditional herbs, roots, and other plants? They're constantly becoming the foundations of new medicines all the time. But powdered rocks? Uhh, not so much. Rhinocerus horn? No. Drinking urea? That's just stupid, it's biological waste matter.

I am afraid that living in the modern world, I may be very much limited to modern thought and knowledge, but please don't suggest that I am too closed minded to be forward looking, or to learn from the past. I find classification of my paradigm to be an unsuitable concept for consideration of myself.

~Dune~

Right now its pretty much stupid to present theories without the possibility to present the scientific positivistic hard cold fact with it. The only problem is that Scientific ways of getting "facts" or "proof" is a (by man) constructed method and, by that it's a paradox to call it objective. (but of course, even the most blindfolded positivists keeps one or two doors open for new ideas, but it will take some tough convincing to get through)

And thats, what I think, is the biggest problem with our current paradigm.
But as long as many agree with the method, it tends to turn into objective "truth" and there we have it...

This pretty much sums up:
Well, I don't claim to believe in anything, scientific or not, unless I see some sort of evidence. Even then, I'm skeptical enough that if the data changes, so does my opinion.

And when I made that first quote it was just for fun and not intended as an insult or anything, even though I admit it was kinda stupid not to explain myself.

Back