Pros / Cons

Luciro

Cadet
Debate: Please state one Pro / one Con about the upcoming title, Hero's Journey.

Alright, here's the rules. I have a problem with folks who are too positive about something they don't seem to know much about. Folks seem to have a problem with me and others being too negative about something we don't know much about. So I propose...
That we each just post one thing we LOVE about HJ. And one thing we don't love so much about HJ. It can even be things we're still uncertain about at this point. Because thus is theory.

I'll start out..

PRO: The dynamics of the quest / nemesis system(s) working together with the faction system still makes me drool in thought.
CON: Forced multi-classing.

Pro:Environmental interaction
Con:Level adjustment system(This is when a character goes into a quest and the enemies' stats are adjusted to the person's level. I just hope every quest isn't like this.)

Pro: HJ promises to be the closest graphical mmorpg experience to DragonRealms.
Con: All of the things they can't or won't be able to bring over from the text based world to make HJ exactly like DR. - And that they are not modeling from the current world of Elanthia.

Pro: GM interaction to incorporate some some 'unknown' factors to quest and plotlines. Also wealth of titles to add sense of expansion to character uniqueness.
Con: Lack of Crafting. Still trying to figure out how characters will make a living.

Pro: Character Customization (I went back and watched the old videos on the character customization and about had a fit of mania).

Con: Lack of communication of late. Unstable racial information. (sorry, that's two, but both easily corrected)

First off, thanks for starting this topic, Luciro. It's nice to see grievances and anticipations being just stated instead of inserted around in other threads.

Pro: Characters are the focus, not gear.
Con: Apparent similarities in the way classes perform their abilities (all mana based- unless they just haven't revealed to us a different system- eg: WoW)

Pro: Character customization
Con: Too many cons I want to post but if I had to choose one. (yah bum you still want only one eh? -sighs- ) I agree with Makkah's con. Lack of communication.

I do wonder how stable it will be when released. What I mean will Simu be able to handle all of the connections. How bad will the lag be. I remember back in 1998 to 2000 when Gemstone was constantly under attack with the Lag Monster (aka the "weather")

Con: No crafting

They haven't said there will not be crafting, only that the crafting system in HJ will be different than the trite manufacturing systems we are used to seeing in mmorpgs.

Instead of mass producing felgercarb, expect your character to be able to create a small number of really nice pieces over time. I am sure you will be able to sell those items for a tidy sum to earn a fine living.

Yeah, I think it will be a much better way of making stuff than what we see in other games, like EQ2.

Even more so in the old swg... mass production everywhere had no theory behind it. I think that crafting would be funner if somehow u can actually build the item piece by piece instead of just finding random materials and then pressing create.

What game do you do that in?

Even after they dumbed down crafting in EQ2, you still had to "craft" the item using your buffs, and you could totally stuff it up. It wasn't as simple as just pressing a create button.

What game do you do that in?

Even after they dumbed down crafting in EQ2, you still had to "craft" the item using your buffs, and you could totally stuff it up. It wasn't as simple as just pressing a create button.

well maybe I talked too much but I meant mostly Swg (Old swg) and wow not too familiar with the eq2 crafting system. What I am saying is that in most of the mmorpgs that I have played you build a boat for instance, without nailing a single nail! No steps involved, I think it would be funner if you saw your creation build over time (of course it would be worth more money this way becuase it would take longer to build) but realistic type feel which is what crafting has always turned me away in other games.

Ick.. I don't like crafting at all. That's why I consider HJ's most excellently proposed system of enhancing and leveling an item to be the best idea I've ever heard.

Your hijaking won't work Daax!

Crafting is good is it takes everyones skill to do it and make something good. You mmake a piece of armor, send it off to the enhancer or buffer, they send it back, you send it off to some finishing guy and then you sell it. You pay each person you use to make the armor and then sell it and make some profit yourself.

Back