Pros / Cons

Yeah, look, fact of the matter is that good equipment should come from somewhere else other than just exclusive drops during quests. That, I am firm on.

I like a game where crafters craft and they have cool vendors, but SOMETIMES you can get a cool drop off of a mob. And even that drop can be ought or passed down.

Oh, don't misread me... cool drops off mobs are lovely! But there must be OTHER means, as well. Otherwise the game just becomes one huge mission to do the same quests over and over to try and get a certain drop... and that's just stupid and unrealistic.

Oh, don't misread me... cool drops off mobs are lovely! But there must be OTHER means, as well. Otherwise the game just becomes one huge mission to do the same quests over and over to try and get a certain drop... and that's just stupid and unrealistic.

now that reminds me of wow... but you must also balance it so that you also dont just kill random bosses to get money to buy stuff. I honestly think that a game would be more fun if its more based on skill rather than the riches and luckiness of somones drop? Maybe that will somewhat be achieved in HJ by allowing players to be able to wear whatever they choose, armor, leather, cloth etc..

We need to learn to blend our ideas together. I am tired of having to agree with everyone even though some things oppose eachother. Everyone is right to a large degree.

I could not say the same... I have played quite a few... dont know if its because im bored or because I have no life? Im hoping #1 but probably #2

Back to the highjacking topic ;)

I don't like compulsory crafting. With which I mean: I don't particularly like to HAVE TO perform what may just be a rather repetitive work, i.e.
( (chop wood, make planks) to the power of 1000 )
just in order to earn some money, so that my character can maybe take the weekend off to go adventuring with his co-workers, slay some monsters and return to his 9 to 5 job on monday. This would feel too much like real life (apart from the monster slaying, of course ;) )
In a heros journey (the concept) you don't hear the hero say: I'd really like to visit my father, the sun, and my mother, the witch of dawn, tomorrow, but I've got a meeting at the office, I may be able to see them for lunch on the following day though.
To give an example (I've mentioned it before): In WoW I hated having to spent hours with my priest trying to earn money, in order to buy mana-potions, so that I could go to molten core.

I don't mind doing it occasionally and I am really grateful for the people who love to craft (they add so much flavour the gaming world), but please don't make it compulsory.

I've honestly never seen a game where crafting was cumpulsory. The point of having crafting in there is, if you don't like doing it, you go and make friends with someone who does, and get your items sorted. Too many times, people just decide to make a dozen alts and be their own wee army in a game being played by thousands of people, rather than interacting. If one networks rather than trying to do everything (even the things one doesn't like), it means more interactivity, better economy, and even making more friends at the same time.

I'm the type of person who has yet to find a game that makes crafting as rewarding as going out and killing things repeatedly, as that would probably be my favourite playstyle. EQ2 tried, but the system kept changing repeatedly, and the last nerf made crafted items worse than common junk drops so I essentially gave up at that point. (I mean, hey I was crafting poison in EQ1 and doing Carpentry in EQ2 - the two most unrewarding crafting types in those games - solely because I enjoyed it, but it would have been a huge perk if it had meant something).

Trillian: I -have- seen it. Basically, the act of crafting gains you part of what you need to succeed in any situation - compulsory. Sure, you could choose not to, but the odds would be HEAVILY against you. It's basically the opposite of your "crafted items worse than junk drop" items. It's when they force demand to be so high that supply is difficult to maintain, driving prices up. Also if the items needed to craft are just SO rare that they have to be farmed or bought for exorbitant prices. -Very- difficult to balance a true crafting system.

One reason I quit WoW was because my favorite class (Warrior) required you to have lvl 350 blacksmithing and specialize in a weapon crafting or something like that in order to get the best weapon for 70.

In Ryzom, everything was crafted - it was the only way to make items, and items were either off monsters or harvested. And it worked. There were people who did nothing but hunt - and everything they got off the mobs was useful, so they never got rid of the stuff or just sold it to a merchant. You could harvest exclusively and do nothing else, and your things were always in demand. The system actually worked, and worked well - unfortunately the game just wasn't one of the big boys and couldn't keep up financially.

And that's WoW Daxx - WoW is eyecandy and a timesink and little else. I did Engineering in that game, and you want to talk about a useless skill, that was certainly right up there on the useless front. But even then, I had to make friends with other people to get necessary components. Which meant interactivity. I knew plenty of warriors who didn't craft, and also made friends so they could get their armour upgraded.

That's the point, folks - if you can't do it, you go and find someone who can, not just decide to be a force of one and do it yourself. That's the whole idea behind these games. Unfortunately, people just stick their heads down and grind it themselves rather than actually attempt to make friends, interact, and network so things do not HAVE to be a mindless grind. It's not the game mechanics, it's the player mentality...something no developer has been capable of predicting.

However, the game environment encourages specific player mentalities. If you cannot find someone who will make whatever at a price that you can afford, you have to do something to make money. Generally, a crafting skill is one of the best ways to do that. And if you're making stuff, you might as well make what you need.

Back