Protect your computer

A

AliasALIAS

Just fed up with my computer going wonkers, and I know it could be a lot worse for others because I only download from and visit safe sites.

Disclaimer: These sites are not affiliated with AllAlias.com. AllAlias.com is not responsible for the content of these sites. However, these are my personal recommendations and I have found them to be helpful.

Spyware/Adware - Basically, it's tracking software that some sites place on your system. These two programs should help get rid of spyware and adware.
Ad-aware
Spybot Search and Destroy

Programs to download if your computer is acting up:
CWShredder - This looks for problems with IE, such as your homepage being "hijacked"
HijackThis - Looks for other problems on your computer. After scanning your computer, don't fix anything yet. Save the log and post it at a site such as SpywareInfo Forums where people knowledgeable of the problems will be able to help. If you download this program, put it in it's own directory such as C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe because it makes backups and files and you don't want it to clutter your Desktop or My Documents folder.

Anti-virus software: - Make sure you have anti-virus software! This is very important. If you don't already have anti-virus software, you can get free versions:
Free Services | Wilders
AVG Anti-Virus-Free
AntiVir Personal Edition
avast! 4 Home - Free antivirus software

Only download one program. Make sure to keep all programs updated. Also perform a serverside security and virus check with
Symantec: http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.as...YNBRFNJSVSTIVVB
Trend Micro: HouseCall – Free Online Security Scan

Internet browser - added 1.1.05
Firefox - Mozilla Firefox is a much more secure Internet browser than Internet explorer. In addition to safety, it's also customizable, has a built in pop-up blocker, and has tabbed browsing (multiple windows in one). It's really one of the best browsers out there, and IE is honestly far below it.

Tips:

From http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957:
1) Watch what you download!
Many freeware programs, and P2P programs like Grokster, Imesh, Kazaa and others are amongst the most notorious, come with an enormous amount of bundled spyware that will eat system resources, slow down your system, clash with other installed software, or just plain crash your browser or even Windows itself.

2) Go to IE > Tools > Windows Update > Product Updates, and install ALL Security Updates listed.
It's important to always keep current with the latest security fixes from Microsoft.
Install those patches for Internet Explorer, and make sure your installation of Java VM is up-to-date. There are some well known security bugs with Microsoft Java VM which are exploited regularly by browser hijackers.

3) Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.

Now press "Custom Level."

In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to 'prompt', and 'Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to 'disable'.

Now you will be asked whether you want ActiveX objects to be executed and whether you want software to be installed.
Sites that you know for sure are above suspicion can be moved to the Trusted Zone in Internet Option/security.

Read more at http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Like the above said, be careful what you download. Even if you get email attachments from friends, make sure you know what it is before downloading. Never download an email attachment from someone you don't know. This is common sense, but people still do it.

If using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options>Privacy. The higher the setting is, the moe secure you'll be. However, it may block cookies from sites you trust. If that's the case, either lower the setting (you should set it at at least medium) or click on Edit and manually add the URL of the site you'd like to accept cookies from.

Download a popup blocker. Popups not only slow down your internet speed and take up space, but they could install unwanted cookies and adware, and the content is often inappropriate.

Make your passwords complicated. It'll make it harder for people peeping over your shoulder to remember your passwords, as well as no-life hackers and malicious programs that may try to crack your password (<--this is unlikely for a home computer, but it could happen so it's best to be careful). Combine numbers and letters, uppercase and lowercase. Avoid using dictionary words.
Side note: This is how some spammers find your email address. They sometimes use dictionary words and common names and attach it to a common email provider such as Yahoo! to send spam to. Don't let this prevent you from making an email address with your name, though. The best way to protect your email address is to never post it publicly. Treat it like you would your address. If you want to share it with others (such as on AA), don't type it normally. Instead of simply posting email@domain.com, do something like emailREMOVETHIS[at]domain***.com.

If you have any other tips, please share. :smiley:

Ad-aware and SpyBot are great programs. I use them both on a regular basis, along with another program called SpyBlaster. You can choose to download one of those programs, but I don't think it hurts to have two or three of those programs like I do.

SpyBlaster

Make sure you run them on a regular basis and your computer should run nominally.

Also, be sure to regularly run Windows Update for which ever Windows operating system you are running.

Also, there are many (most of which can be fixed) holes in IE. Your computer might be more secure using a more advanced browser like Mozilla Firefox or Opera. Also, if you use a Mac be sure to get Safari from Apple.com, IE is slow and it is an old version (5.5 I believe).

I use McAfee. It's really good, and it automatically updates your protection when it becomes aware of new viruses. (Very helpful) :smiley: You can scan your computer at anytime, and if you have viruses all you have to do is say clean those files. I also find it helpful to change the security settings to high for the internet so you don't download unwanted cookies from other sites.

::sniff:: but i didn't do that. :lol: ughh... i like sound. i like alias music videos.

::gets panic-ey:: what am i going to doooo???

Has anyone ever heard of "Eanthology?" Somehow, it's on my computer. I don't know where it came from. :thinking: :confused: :blink: It's kinda like norton anitvirus. I'm just wondering... is it good to have? Also, the other day, I turned on the computer, I got three different icons in my windows :wtf:, and I know I didn't install them on to the computer. One was something about second thought, Lycos sidesearch, and mypcsearch. :blink: My computer is only two years old. I'm not about to give it up. So, Any ideas?

Kathy said:
Has anyone ever heard of "Eanthology?" Somehow, it's on my computer. I don't know where it came from. :thinking: :confused: :blink: It's kinda like norton anitvirus. I'm just wondering... is it good to have? Also, the other day, I turned on the computer, I got three different icons in my windows :wtf:, and I know I didn't install them on to the computer. One was something about second thought, Lycos sidesearch, and mypcsearch. :blink: My computer is only two years old. I'm not about to give it up. So, Any ideas?
I'm not sure what "Eanthology" is, but you may wanna put it in to a search engine and see if anything comes up about it. It sounds like you have spyware/adware installed on your computer and these are sneaky, annoying programs that install on your computer without you knowing about it.

Just go here to download Ad-aware and it will get rid of those for you.

Ad-aware

Download that program, read the Help file so you can run it and delete whatever spyware/adware is on your computer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch! :D I just downloaded ad-aware, and I'm scanning my computer. :smiley:

Yikes! Ad-aware just found them! :blink: And my Norton couldn't find anything. :blink:

You're welcome. Norton is only supposed to look for viruses and not adware/spyware.

Keep using it regularly and your computer will run nominally.

Flames24 said:
You're welcome.  Norton is only supposed to look for viruses and not adware/spyware.

Keep using it regularly and your computer will run nominally.
okay, thanks!

I have a stupid question. :lol:

After scanning my computer in the ad-aware. How do I know what to delete? :confused: :thinking: I've read the item details and there was one item that was a high risk. :thinking: I'm new to this ad-aware. :smiley:

Ad-aware has the great tool called quarantining before it deletes what it has found. It also lets you restore something if it's really needed for your computer. Ad-aware also creates logs of what it finds.

You could post one of those logs here and let me see if it's safe to quarantine/delete everything or you could try it yourself and see if everything works.

Flames24 said:
Ad-aware has the great tool called quarantining before it deletes what it has found. It also lets you restore something if it's really needed for your computer. Ad-aware also creates logs of what it finds.

You could post one of those logs here and let me see if it's safe to quarantine/delete everything or you could try it yourself and see if everything works.
I'll do that! :D Thanks!

Right now... I'm getting the popup ads again! What should I do now? :blink:

Hmm, I'd say just to keep running Ad-aware. Don't forget to keep updating Ad-aware b/c new threats can always be found.

You may also want SpyBlaster b/c this can block things and they won't even get on to your computer. When you open SpyBlaster, go to where it says "Quick Tasks" and click "Enable All Protection." Be sure to keep SpyBlaster updated also.

I think you also need a pop up blocker. I have one from Earthlink since that is my internet provider. You can search around on download.com for pop up blockers. But I've found the MSN pop up blocker for you to try out and see if you like it. MSN Pop Up Blocker

Hope this helps.

Back