Playstation PS3 Concept images

Tom

An Old Friend
PS3 Concepts, Some of these are pretty KOOL!

ps3JPC.jpg
ps3old.jpg
dual.jpg
ps3.jpg
ps3_thumb.jpg

gullick4.jpg

Theres more at the site

http://www.sffworld.com/news/69.html
In the number-crunching environment of the International Solid State Circuits Conference at San Francisco recently, an otherwise slow event was blown away by two revelations.

Firstly Sony, in conjunction with IBM and Toshiba, disclosed their design for the 'Cell' chip which will drive the PS3 as well as the next generation of uber-powerful PC's.

Secondly Sony revealed that the PS3 will be displayed to the world before E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in May.

Although no date was confirmed a Sony of America representative did say that it won't be as early as the Game Developer's Conference in March.

The Cell has been in development between Sony, IBM, and Toshiba for the last 3 years and figures show it to be 10 times faster than any current processor, running at a staggering 4GHz.

The Cell is constructed of eight computing cores, instead of a single-core design favoured by most moden chips. This enables the Cell to carry out 10 seperate sequences at exactly the same time.Meaning a PS3 would be able to make 10 different decisions in less time than the fastest PC chip could make one.

In theory this means vastly improved A.I, serious amounts of graphics, larger games, more ingenius levels, multiple larger enemies and the ability to play proper online gaming.

Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony's games division boasted;

"With Cell opening a doorway, a new chapter in computer science is about to begin."

Whilst William Zeitler, senior vice president of IBM Systems and Technology Group, opted for something less sensationalist;

"Today we see the tangible results of our collaboration: an open, multicore, microprocessor that portends a new era in graphics and multi-media performance."

With Cell ready to start production in Nagasaki, Japan and New York later this year, PS3 could be here sooner than many have predicted.

May 17, 7:33 AM (ET)

By MATT SLAGLE

(AP) Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., holds up a prototype of the...
VIDEO_GAME_EXPO.sff_KSD101_20050516211410.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Sony Corp. (SNE) unveiled three flavors of its new PlayStation 3 video game machine Monday in what is likely a new round of console wars with rivals Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and Nintendo Co.

The new machine, set for release in the spring of 2006, is about the same size as the current generation PlayStation 2 but has a more rounded look. Besides black, the PS3 will be available in silver and white.

Sony officials said the PS3's new processor technology - called Cell - will offer high performance for movie-like realism in games, high-definition movies and other features.

"The PS3 is truly is a system to be placed in the center of the living room," said Ken Kutaragi, creator of the original PlayStation console as well as the more recent PlayStation Portable handheld.

Prices or a specific lineup of games that will be available were not were not provided, though Sony showed off numerous demonstrations of games in development.

The PS3 will use the Blu-ray disc format, capable of holding 50 gigabytes of information, which is about six times the capacity of existing DVDs, as well as slots for memory cards, a detachable hard drive and Bluetooth wireless for up to seven wireless controllers.

The PS3 also will be able to run the thousands of games available for the older PS2 and PS1, officials said.

One demonstration PS3 game showed a fiery battle between a soldier and a robot in an intricately detailed futuristic city. Individual tattoos and bits of blood could be seen on the warrior's face, while shafts of light beamed down from the rafters of a metallic corridor.

The announcement comes two days ahead of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, an annual industry gathering in Los Angeles.

Microsoft said it would begin selling Xbox 360 in North America around Thanksgiving, and Europe and Asia by the end of the year.

No pricing details have been announced on any of the systems.

Nintendo will discuss its new console, code-named Revolution, further on Tuesday morning.

In 2004, Sony's older PlayStation 2 led the U.S. console wars with 43 percent of the market, according to Jupiter Research. The original Xbox was a distant No. 2 with 19 percent, followed by Nintendo's GameCube at 14 percent. The remainder included handheld game systems.

But by 2010, Xbox 360 would grab the lead with 38 percent of the market, followed by Sony with 32 percent and Nintendo with 22 percent, Jupiter forecasts.

Microsoft is taking an entertainment hub approach with Xbox 360.

The curvy, white machine plays DVD movies and lets users listen to music, view photos and do real-time video chats with friends and relatives around the world.

The Xbox 360 features three processors, a removable 20-gigabyte hard drive, a custom graphics chip and built-in wireless for cable-free access to the company's Xbox Live online multiplayer service.

I haven't had a game console system since my Atari. The kids have had them but not me. I plan to buy a PS3 but not at $500. I saw an article for a price range around $200.-300.00
It said it was comparible to a small PC

yesterday unveiled its new PlayStation 3 -- part of the company's bid to dominate not just video gaming, but also the whole home entertainment industry.

In addition to games, the console will offer Internet access, video calling and music and video playback.

The PS3 will go on sale next spring, months after the launch of its chief rival, the Xbox Latest News about Xbox 360 360 console from Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft.

Sony says the PS3's cell processor Latest News about Processors is 35 times faster than the chip Latest News about Chip inside the PlayStation 2 Latest News about PlayStation 2 and will produce the most realistic video games ever.

Titles demonstrated at the launch in Los Angeles looked almost cinematic, with ultrarealistic graphics.

Games will be stored on Blu-ray disks, which can hold six times as much information as a DVD.

The PS3 also will have a hard drive for storing games, pictures, music and video footage.

It will play CDs and DVDs too.

Sony's gaming head Ken Kuturagi said: "This is a system to be placed in the center of living rooms around the world."

******************News from RSS************************************
The bright side of dying a horrible death in a video game is that resurrection is only a button hit away, but for game developers facing a steep upward spiral in costs, there may not be room for a second bad move.

Two companies with some of the deepest pockets in the world -- Microsoft Corp.(Nasdaq:MSFT - news) and
Sony Corp.<6758.T -- are building new consoles, creating new levels of opportunity and risk for game makers.

At this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, the video game industry's annual trade show known as E3, the immense cost of creating games with movie-quality graphics and unparalleled processing speeds was seen potentially wiping out some companies.

"Some developers are scared. They are as white as ghosts," said Ankarino Lara, a director of online gaming site GameSpot.

Within the next 18 months, Microsoft, Sony and
Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) each plans to launch its next generation game console, Microsoft's
Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Revolution.

That raises the technology bar for every developer in the $10 billion industry, and some may not be able to pay the hefty price.

The development cost of a high-end game, now about $10 million, could rise to $15 million to $20 million in the next five years, said Doug Lowenstein, president of industry trade group Entertainment Software Association.

"I think any developer or publisher without a lot of capital is not going to be very successful competing in the next five years of this market," he said. The industry defied one business trend, he added: "When we introduce new technology, it becomes more expensive to compete."

Even the world's largest game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news) said it is feeling the pinch on its earnings.

"If you look at the balance sheet and profit and loss numbers, it doesn't always look that pretty. We're spending an awful lot of money right now to do all the heavy lifting," said John Schappert, the head of EA's biggest game studio.

The ability to make those investments could ultimately widen the gap between big players like EA and a huge community of small privately owned developers ill prepared to handle the ups and downs of a hit-driven industry.

But that would just be a case of history repeating itself.

Once proud names like Japan's Hudson Soft, known for classic games like "Bomber Man" and "Bonk's Adventure," and U.S. publisher Acclaim Entertainment Inc. are cited by analysts as victims of the previous console cycle.

Konami Corp. (9766.T) agreed to acquire Hudson Soft last month, while Acclaim filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2004 after a series of disappointing software titles that failed to match the popularity of past hits, such as "NBA Jam."

SAY HELLO TO HOLLYWOOD

The cost of creating next generation games, and the risk of an expensive flop has drawn parallels to another pillar of the entertainment industry, Hollywood.

"It's going to become like the movie industry. Game publishers will spend big money. If something looks mediocre, then it will be killed even it's already in development," said Naoya Tsurumi, chief executive of Sega of America Inc.

But similar to Hollywood, good talent is in high demand.

Most major game publishers are out shopping for game developers that can maximize the power and speed of the new consoles along with the ability to create games that appeal to what is expected to be a larger, more diverse audience.

Activision Inc. (Nasdaq:ATVI - news) said it plans to increase the number of in-house game developers by up to 30 percent from 1,000 this business year.

"This industry has grown so quickly. There are not enough bodies out there to fulfill all the development needs," said Kathy Vrabeck, president of Activision Publishing.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Edward Woo, speaking at an E3 workshop, said in the search for creative talent, don't overlook another important personnel decision.

"A key member to add to the team is a very good accountant," said Woo.

Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines

712,000 illegal Playstation DVDs burned
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillatestnews.asp?fileid=20050519171639&irec=4

E3: No graphics update for FFXI on Xbox 360
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9054

E3: PS3 will be cheaper to start developing for than PS2
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9053

E3: SCEE's Phil Harrison talks PlayStation 3
Only days after the unveiling of Sony's next-generation PlayStation stunned the industry, GamesIndustry.biz sat down with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's executive VP of development, Phil Harrison, to find out more about the hardware, the demos - and what, exactly, was running in real-time.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9051

Exclusive 3D Games for 3G Mobile Devices with Console-Like Experience
Mobile News - Latest news from the world of mobile

A gaggle of new games for Xbox 360
Search | com.com

Nintendo Reveals Game Boy Micro
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C4034/

NVIDIA G70 GPU Similar to Playstation 3 Chip
http://www.nforcershq.com/article2954.html

Xbox 360 Retail Price Could be Higher than Expected
http://www.nforcershq.com/article2961.html

ps3

Whoah the silver PS3 is from the future like flash gordon stlye i love it. :worthy: Sony time machine & personal cloner next? i can't wait!

Man that could sit in an episode of star the next gen and not be out of place. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Sony I :worthy: to you.

Mine has to be a sleek black ps3.

dodge50 said:
Man that could sit in an episode of star the next gen and not be out of place. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Sony I :worthy: to you.

Mine has to be a sleek black ps3.
I don't know which color i'd want....

Back