Pure Bred Hero

Daax

Cadet
Is it possible to JUST be a Warrior? Or JUST be a bard/rogue/wizard/gearknight/etc... Or will being a hybrid be automatically required?

I'm sure many of you would like to retain yourself as a purebred class and not a hybrid for one reason or another.

Interesting, though, truth be told, I'd much rather be a hybrid. You get so much better gas mileage that way! ...I mean...

Daax said:
Is it possible to JUST be a Warrior? Or JUST be a bard/rogue/wizard/gearknight/etc... Or will being a hybrid be automatically required?

I'm sure many of you would like to retain yourself as a purebred class and not a hybrid for one reason or another.

I'm feeling there is, basically you'd still have to chose a second profession, you only do not chose any abilities or skills from that second profession.

~ Jaraeth

It's been stated somewhere on one of the MMORPG HJ info posts that yes, you must choose a secondary class.
Hopefully, maybe, beta testing will show folks there is a place for ROGUE/ROGUE. If nothing else.

Luciro said:
It's been stated somewhere on one of the MMORPG HJ info posts that yes, you must choose a secondary class.
Hopefully, maybe, beta testing will show folks there is a place for ROGUE/ROGUE. If nothing else.

/agreed. I think that if people want to just be a fighter or a wizard they should be able to. Now it may be set up to where you can you just have to select the right combination. For instance to be a true wizard u need to be a wiz/necro or a true rogue would be a rogue/ranger just examples this isn't how it is. But that may be how its set up. Something though that could be changed after beta testing it we'll have to wait and see.

"Even if you don't like multiclassing, you’ll still be happy. If all you want to do is heal -- play a Healer-Cleric. If all you want to do is beat things up -- play a Warrior-Gearknight. If all you want to do is confuse people -- play a Bard-Necromancer. We don’t want to take away the roles people are familiar and happy with, but we also wanted to make sure you had new things to try."

- Stephanie Shaver, Designer
MMORPG article, The Classes

Yes, but I would like to be just a warrior for the simple purpose of retaining the title of a Warrior, not some hybrid name.

Daax said:
nope. not yet. Frosty knows but he won't tell us because he's a doody head. >:P

Ummm, I doubt that ... Frosty could tell you he knows, but he's being mean to you Daax... of course, since there's a few of us folks on the Council, maybe those of us on it know this list? hehehe.

~ Jaraeth

Darrt said:
"Even if you don't like multiclassing, you’ll still be happy. If all you want to do is heal -- play a Healer-Cleric. If all you want to do is beat things up -- play a Warrior-Gearknight. If all you want to do is confuse people -- play a Bard-Necromancer. We don’t want to take away the roles people are familiar and happy with, but we also wanted to make sure you had new things to try."

- Stephanie Shaver, Designer
MMORPG article, The Classes

Yeah but as I've stated elsewhere.
Ranger denotes the use of ranged items and tracking. I like playing a rogue as a pure stealther. A thief so to so. I don't know what's around the corner, I have to be skilled enough to sneak around it and look. Not have an area, pop up box, blah blah tell me. Nor do I really want to just IGNORE part of my archtype to play the rogue I want to play.
I guess rogue/warrior is the way I'd rather go. A swashbuckler.. A gentleman fencer so to say. He's not carrying the big armor to just take blows, but he's skilled enough to try and kill before being killed. But will the warrior's damn charges get carried over into my list? Will I have a battle cry? Stuff, I'd rather not see tacked onto my rogue? See, it's a scary thought process I hope gets hammered out.

Daax I know hte answer. LEt me hear you beg now.

However, I am not sure if you will be able to be a 'pure bred class'. Good question, I'll pass it along to Simu, see if I can nab an answer.

I would prefer to be a pure breed class myself. Of course being able to have a specialty sub-class within that one, but not have to use a secondary class.

Duraenos, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your request correctly.

You would like to be considered possibly lets say just a 'Gearknight', but at the same time, you want a sub-class? I'm confused by what you want, maybe if you re-stated it I could answer your question a bit better.

Thanks!

I personally would never elect to play a non-hybrid character, as the class system of HJ is one of the many things that peeks my interests. If Simu did allow people to simply be a pure bred of a single class for the sake of retaining that class' name, then I feel that a person shouldn't be better at the role that a specific class fills as compared to those with that class as their main class.

Stado said:
I personally would never elect to play a non-hybrid character, as the class system of HJ is one of the many things that peeks my interests. If Simu did allow people to simply be a pure bred of a single class for the sake of retaining that class' name, then I feel that a person shouldn't be better at the role that a specific class fills as compared to those with that class as their main class.

Why is that? If someone picks a wizard/wizard combo and someone picks a wizard/necro combo in my eyes anyway it would be logical that the wizard would have more "wizard" spells and that the wizard/necro would have a combination. Now if your talking about balancing well thats a whole nother topic that I won't start here.

I would go pure bred wizard because I like the typical spells that a wizard has. Necro's not so much i don't like pets or aoe spells, not my style. So if its even an option then I'd go with wizard pure and get all the spells that I would play with.

cordy said:
Why is that? If someone picks a wizard/wizard combo and someone picks a wizard/necro combo in my eyes anyway it would be logical that the wizard would have more "wizard" spells and that the wizard/necro would have a combination. Now if your talking about balancing well thats a whole nother topic that I won't start here.

I would go pure bred wizard because I like the typical spells that a wizard has. Necro's not so much i don't like pets or aoe spells, not my style. So if its even an option then I'd go with wizard pure and get all the spells that I would play with.

Well, in essence, I see HJ's class system as this: by choosing Wizard as your main class, you're in all ways a wizard and would/should be equal to a pure Wizard. Of course you also get to choose a secondary class that will likely only supplement your main class, adding very little flavour to the class combo as in comparison to your main class. Now then, what's stopping an individual from refusing to use his or her secondary abilities and/or spells (i.e. those granted by his or her secondary class)? Doing so, at least in my eyes and despite the class combo's name, would make you pure bred of your main class. I just don't want to see people being penalized in their class role for electing to be a hybrid, while another person who chooses to only use/obtain one class is better overall at that class' role. I very much like HJ's proposed class system; one that simply forces people to play a hybrid role rather than simply being the absolute best at a particular role.

Back