PvP Discussion. What are your views?

F

frostydf2

Simutronics has released tiny snips and bits about what the Player vs. Player is going to be like in this game. From personal experiance, I have taken what they have said one way, while others another. I want to know what people think the PvP should be like, and post your ideas on it.

My opinoin? There should be open PvP against factions just like in WoW. There shouldn't be a huge penalty like in Lineage 2 for ganking someone. I also belive in rewards, if you take on someone your own level you should be rewarded for it, while if you gank someone low level there should be a slight punishment.

What are your views?

Player vs Player combat in MMO's can make or break the playing experience for those involved.

Simutronics hasn't released much official information regarding how the PvP system will work in Hero's Journey. Frosty illustrates that the the game's FFXI-like faction based approach will create a unique PvP enviornment that features small and large scale 'raids' that feature groups of players cooperating and coordinating attacks through voice programs, such as Ventrilo. He also concludes, based on information he has gathered from developers, the official boards, etc., that the PvP system will reward the 'powerleveler' type player who participates in the game more than the person they combat in PvP situations.

I, on the other hand, nearly completely disagree with Frosty's point of view. Having played Simutronics games for over ten years and having interacted with the people who play their games, and from information on the official boards (ex: LINK) I feel that PvP will be much less a part of the game than Frosty anticipates. I feel that Simutronics no doubt has some sort of cutting edge, new, unique and rewarding in it's own respect PvP system planned for this game, I do not however feel that PvP will have a signifigant role in gameplay (I.E: Gemstone).

That said, I'm hoping that those who are hugely excited for this game aren't excited at the prospect of a PvP experience that's as direct as in games like Guild Wars. I don't think the spirit of this game is going to (or should for that matter) reward players for their PvP skills. Simutronics is a company that prides itself on the role playing aspect of its games, and that should be what draws people to its games.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Mar 5 2006, 08:17 PM
My opinoin? There should be open PvP against factions just like in WoW. There shouldn't be a huge penalty like in Lineage 2 for ganking someone. I also belive in rewards, if you take on someone your own level you should be rewarded for it, while if you gank someone low level there should be a slight punishment.
I agree completely with frosty. I think any great MMO will have some time put into their PvP as well. Some players hate PvE after leveling and would prefer to PvP and actually earn something from it. Whats a better way of seeing how good you are with your character then playing against others. cause to me, it seems, that pve over a long period of time gets repeatitive. now it takes skill, in quite a few cases, for this 5 man group to take on this 5 man group. Challenging your character against other players, in my opinion, is a great way to keep a game interesting... (as long as thats not the only thing you can do)

From what I know of the PvP system, (no more than any of you) it sounds like it will work well for everyone.

There will always be people who don't want anything to do with PvP (or CvC I prefer)

But it can be fun from time to time..

So from what I understand this system will be good all around for those who don't want to be attacked, to those who don't mind a duel, to those who just can't leave others alone (watch your backs!)

PvP is something which I enjoy alot, although I am not that much of a fan of unfair PvP.
I really liked what blizzard have done with PvP in terms of battlegrounds. Although the battlegrounds themselves are poorly designed I think something like that, a massive pvp instance, would be good for PvP.

I am thinking that HJ will have an overt/covert/neutral system for PvP, much like SWG did. Although i think it would be good to have areas where you are overt all the time.

I do not have any idea how rewards for PvP would work, if it will be a ranking system or just purely killing opponents.

I would like to PvP in HJ and hope that it is well designed. Personally it doesnt have to be an important part of the game. I do enjoy raiding towns and cities and hope we can do that in groups in HJ.

Time will only tell :smiley:

I want to PvP in HJ as well. I liked the PvP system in WoW when both you and your opponent have to agree to have a battle, instead of getting pk'd randomly; I would like to see something like this implemented.

I would also like to see Arena's placed around towns, so you can have a friendly 1v1 or 5v5 battle.

But these are just two out many systems Im thinking of.

It really depends on how the game turns out. The combat systems and whatnot.. how easy it is to flee, how big of a penalty their is for dying, how easy/hard it is to level, etc. My preference as far as pvp goes is open PVP. Being able to kill whoever you want whenever you want is far more realistic. Someone who kills someone should become a criminal, or be slightly more toward being a criminal.

Heres what I think about the whole criminal idea.

You have like.. 10 levels of uh.. dunno what you'd call it. Alignment, maybe? Yeah. Divine being the top and evil being the bottom.. Divine, Good, Neutral, Bad, Evil. Many sublevels in between, of course, but yeah. Once you get to "bad," gaurds stationed at towns will attack you or something. Maybe send you to jail. PVP system would tie into this in that killing most people would put you a few points toward that evil, and killing someone who is evil or just not killing anyone for a while would put you toward divine.

Mhm. Yeah. I think that how PVPing is dealt with plays a big part in the kind of PVPing that would be most fun. IE what are the penalties, and what are the rewards?

I think WoW had a great idea with contested areas, except they weren't really contested, just another name for open pvp areas. I think HJ should apply the same concept, except the fact that you should NOT be able to see an enemies factions name. You should actually be able to /lay in the brush, and ambush some passing travelers.

That would be fun, but there should also be some type of control on that as well to protect people from being ganked.

I agree, being able to see an enemies name is slightly game breaking in WoW.
Sure you should be able to see friendly names, but not enemy names unless you specifically target them. And none of this mouse over felgercarb either, you have to know where they are and target them. It might get complains from people who like to "tab" through enemies. but its far better if you have to use some skill and actually spot an enemy hiding.

Imagine walking down a path with fields either side, maybe a small group of you. The fields have longish grass in them, maybe waist height. you get halfway down the path and suddenly a group of enemies jump out from the field and ambush you. you have to fight your way out of it, maybe if there are too many you can flee into the field and hide and hope they dont spot you.

Alternativly think of it as the ambushers are you, waiting for victims to come past :D

Sounds like fun ;)

Names over the head suck. Names should only appear if someone is saying something out loud if only to show who is talking. The thing about pvp is that some classes will have a whole host of pvp useful skills while other classes will revolve around skills that are great in pve but utterly useless in 1 vs 1 pvp compared to the other classes.

My suggestion is to have 2 builds you can switch between any time..a pvp build and a pve build that way no class will be assed out of pvp pwnage. Or just make all classes viable in pvp in close range and long range. not necessarily in terms of damage but at least in terms of options and the ability to get into their preferred range (and out of their opponents preferred range) and stay there. I think the multiclassing aspect will address this. for example...if you want to attack from a distance but dont want to be pwned at melee range be a warrior/ranger. I think the best way to use multiclassing is to choose a primary class that matches your playstyle or personality then choose a secondary class that compensates for the more exploitable aspects of the primary class or your preferred playstyle. Thats the reasoning behind my class choices....necromancer ranger and ranger rogue. necromancer is cool but if he runs out of mana or whatever he's assed out..but if you have ranger skills you can still shoot stuff for big damage at least. ranger rogue because ranger is cool but if he runs out of arrows he's assed out..but if you have rogue skills you can sneak away and go buy some arrows.

I have to agree as well. I want to be able to actually ambush people in the brush if I want to. I want to raid a caravan without an enemy PC spotting me. I want to stalk my prey. I agree with almost everything you guys have said :smiley:

I'm hearing some good ideas here. Does anyone have any links or quotes to any pvp referrence from Simu? I'd like to give feedback based on whats already been said by them.

I'm pretty sure Simu has actually said there won't be names floating over everyone's heads. Besides, I've only seen one screenshot where people had names over their heads, and it was showing a conference between GMs, where one could easily imagine a particular need to know who's who. I doubt we'll be labeled.

Originally posted by Azdel@May 3 2006, 11:59 PM
I just checked the E3 video. There were labels. My bad. Sorry.
I would think there would be a setting to turn them off if you want personally..

What I would like, is a way to turn your own off, until you introduce yourself to someone. /introduce <person> or something, and then they could see your name, because well, they would know you. It's good for RP. People might know you by sight, but they could strain to get your name. (That wasn't supposed to rhyme)

Ok, PVP has too many facets to go into, but the part that makes it a problem is an easy one to see.

Player viewpoint.

In EQ (1), people PVPed (dueled) to see who could beat who, because it was a challenge/answer system with no other reward than bragging rights and no other penalty than the typical loss of xp and the (yay fun) corpserun.

What this basicly amounts to is the occasional spat, but mostly friendly "lets see whos is bigger" contest, that normally ends at the end of the duel (barring a few taunts thrown around afterwards). The downside is "kids" online who love the petty harassments with no worries as to direct player recourse.

L2 is on the other end of that spectrum. PVP nets you no xp gain, but the player you beat has a chance of dropping equipment, and the only consequence is at best a temporary flag for people to attack you without penalty, or at worse, a penalty that can be easy to get rid of through remote hunting or death. When you couple that with the fact that you need no challenge to engage in PVP, sust simply the opportunity to attack someone, it opens up the door and indeed attracts the type of personality who will attack other players simply in the hope that they drop something for you to pick up.

Taking it a bit further, GMs in L2 will never, under any circumstances, step in to resolve player conflict of any sort, and actually suggest you get your friends to go gank the person harassing/ganking/griefing you.

What THIS basicly amounts to is a game of "clan warfare", where ganking and griefing is not only allowed, but encouraged by the staff at NCsoft. It is a society where (in the high-end game, at least) Gang Warfare is the rule of thumb, not the exeption, and most players spend as much time looking out for "Reds" as they do hunting with their friends. A game where most players are not only trying to get the bigger, better armor and weapons, biut also trying to replace those items dropped when someone came along, killed you and stole the item you took weeks trying to get.

>>>>OK, yes, I have a point, and here it is :D <<<<

I believe PVP can be fun, and having NO PVP can be dulorous, and invite kids who love to harass and be snide to do so without regards to the people who share the server with them. However, I do NOT believe that PVP should be rewarded in the form of your opponent/target suffering loss of items or XP, because griefers are called that for a reason... they love causing grief.

So here are my suggestions...

1)It should be a challenge system, based on challenging someone 3 times, giving them 2 chances to answer you. if it isnt answered by the third challenge, the challenger may still attack the challenged (or vice-versa), with the challenges spaced out in 5 second intervals, giving the challenged party time to escape whereas the challenger can only walk at best, not run, and therefore preventing griefing. (challenges may not be issued to a player allready involved in combat, avoiding the "kill him while he cant defend himself" scenario)

2)No penalty should be forced on the challenged party of a PVP instance, especially if they were trying to get away before the third challenge was issued.

3)If a reward is to be given to the winner of a PVP instance, it should be in the form of an xp reward only. Hell, you get XP for beating everything else in the game, so why not?

4)There should be severe penalties, regardless of the PVP system used, for attacking other players well below your level/stature. N00b/lowbie hunting is inexusable cowardess in its lowest form.

5) (and this may be a little off subject, but it does apply...) Skills gained in a level should no longer be accessable if that level is lost. nothing is worse in PVP than facing an opponent your level, only to find he has skills/abilities normally found on a character 10, 20, sometimes 30 levels higher than your own. (yes, de-leveling for this effect is a commonplace thing in L2)

/Rant OFF

Well, there is my 2 cents... sorry it was such a long read. Kudos to those who bore with me and actually read the whole thing, lol

Xhar

Good post about PvP Xhar. I enjoyed reading it, and your views on the entire PvP spectrum. However, we differ in a few.

I personally enjoy ganking, griefing, and dominating other people. I don't consider myself mediocre, and I don't plan on being mediocre in a game. In WoW when I was ganked as a lowbie, did I get pissed? Yea, kinda. Did I get over it? Yea. It added a lot of fun to the game actually having to worry about watching your back instead of running by an enemy and knowing they can't touch you.

Known enemies, I dont have a problem with, its the opportunistic twits I cant stand.
People you dont even know jumping out and attacking without warning, provocation, nor the ability to defend oneself (because gankers usually only attack people they know they can kill easily) yourself isnt my idea of fun, and isnt something I would be willing to pay for to play.

>edit to remove the insulting personal viewpoint on those who consider ganking and delierately causing grief to other people a fun way to pass the day<

Dont get me wrong, I am in no way a carebear player, but neither do I go out of my way to hinder another from having fun. The people who are behind the other avatars inb the game are just that, people, and should be treated with a modicum of respect, if not courtesy. The mobs are in game to be attacked repeatedly and without warning, the players are people who pay to have fun.

Why cant they be treated as such?

Do you have sex to get kicked in the nuts? Most people dont, neither do most people want to get ganked, yet many players out there enjoy doing that same thing to others... makes no sense to me whatsoever, sorry.

You want to PVP? Fine, by all means, but do it honestly and with honour. Dont use a PVP environment to get enjoyment out of causing others undue anguish because they clearly wanted no part of it.

Xhar

I agree with Xhar in most of the points.

Though I do enjoy a good, organized PvP experience from time to time, I much prefer PvE content without having to worry about invisible rogues all the time. Takes the fun out of the game, for me anyways.
But if your clan/guild declares war on another one, you should be attackable without warning. A war would be boring without it.

In PvP I much prefer organized battles, if possible with a set time and date. Before too many people complained, the battlegrounds in WoW were so much fun if both sides were organized in TeamSpeak and knew each other. This CvC or RvR I'd enjoy most.

Also, severly punish corpse-campers and lowbie-gankers.

As for HJ, I was happy to see being able to opt out if I want.

XP as reward sounds just fair to me.

I think an open pvp system would be ideal for Hero's Journey. With an army of GM's, people who abuse the system should be punished, and will. However, not with suspended accounts, but possibly in-game. A god coming out of hte sky, and owning you if you keep killing lowbies. However, I belive anyone around your level/skill should be fair game.

Back