question about cloning.

kuroc

Cadet
Here is sort of a legal question.
When cloning humans is perfected would killing your own clone be considered a crime?
And which crime would it be if it was a crime?

I would say yes due to the fact if you kill your cloan which would be concidered a human being then you would be killing a human it would be like killing your identical twin even though you look alike your not the same each has there own personality and way of thinking.

As far as which crime it would be if it was a crime it would depend on wether it was premeditated or not premeditated would be 1st degree it would be the same as killing a non cloan.

thats my take on it anyway.

Without a drastic change in the law, I'm going to consider here that the law relating to abortion as to when "life starts" would be the blanket ruling on this. Also, IVF principles are so close to cloning in moral regards that to class a clone as not human would surely mean a test tube baby would receive less rights?

If you take the situation in the film: The Island, the clones were not supposed to be sentient, when in fact they actually were, this hidden away from the general awareness of society. As a fictional representation, those who would regard the situation described as allowable will be very few, and I'd suggest their humanity was in question.

Even when cloning is perfected, I don't really see having clones of ourselves as being necessarily legal unto itself. The idea of a perfect copy of yourself is a huge psychological threat to ones identity, so I'd be very surprised if cloning of people ever gets that far. We'll find other solutions to stuff like organ transplant either through synthetic organs, further stem cell work or finding a way to grow the organs without the rest of the 'you' (like on the back of mice or in some other animal).

Although, I think genetic engineering of animals might be more common place in the future - extinct exotic animals for zoos and collectors, maybe even hybrid animals or new man-made species - although this sort of already happens with microbes & recombinant DNA and technically even with selective breeding in dogs and other domestic/agricultural animals.

Back