Question about Motive?

Tom

An Old Friend
I absolutely despise syfy original type movies. Can anyone please tell me why when a new syfy type movie comes out I am compelled to download and watch that felgercarb?
It happened again last night. I saw Dragons of Camelot on the streaming site I frequent and before I knew it. The felgercarb was downloaded and I was sitting there watching it!
The movie, like every other syfy original is insultingly bad. Why do I watch them? Why is it that when I see one available I must see it? I always hate them. I sit there disgusted with all the elements that draw me to watch movies feeling like I am being insulted, yet I continue to watch?
Its not just the ones labeled as syfy original either. Anything Asylum makes seems to get a screening from me. I don't even consider them 'so bad its good' or 'stupidly funny'? I always come away feeling insulted and guilty for doing it again.
I have met many people that enjoy these turds. Some even tout them as good movies but I know better. I see some fairly known actors from time to time and it makes me wonder why they would stoop so low in their careers to even consider being part of this trash? Is there some hidden Hollywood competition for who can make the most money for the worst movie? Are actors punished for non-compliance to some secret Hollywood pact?
I used to think that syfy channel was just too stupid to produce descent movies but they are insulting us on purpose. Have the people become so used to being insulted by the likes of The Simpsons and Family Guy that any type of insult to their intelligence is now a money making opportunity?
In the past, Science fiction was silly and badly acted because nobody had the Ability to bring the Science Fiction concepts to fulfillment. It wasn't because science fiction was not worthy of seriousness, we just didn't have the resources. Now, it is proven that science fiction can be well-done and stories that are the basis can be fully rendered. Still, Hollywood and the public in general see scifi as a joke. Science Fiction is an intellectual fiction and should be treated with the respect it deserves.
Why must I watch these insults? Why do I 'tune in' instead of boycott? I feel I am supporting something I don't want to support! I seem to be contributing to something that offends me!
Does anyone have an answer?

Allow me to speculate.
Inside each of us is a small self-tortue gland. It forces us to do things like watch SyFy movies in the vain hope that maybe--just maaayyyybeeee--it'll actually be pretty good.
In my case I keep going to a local Chinese buffet hoping it'll be as good as it was when it opened. (off topic, I wonder if they have special cooks/food to open a place before they turn it over to the regular stuff.)

Back