Movies Question: Is Prometheus part of the Alien Franchise?

Tom

An Old Friend
I've been reading comments from members in other communities and noone can seem to agree.
Some argue that Prometheus is a prequel to the original Alien. Others argue that due to Ridleys comments it has nothing to do with Alien and is a standalone movie.

I'm curious what CoolSciFi members think about it all?

I've always heard Promo is part of Aliens.
too much gross, not enough science for me.
those engineers creeped me out

Yeah, They are creepy and hostile.
Most of the arguments tend to cite the ending.
The resulting lifeform in the shuttle and the shape of the ship.
Word has it that the next movie will not result in returning to the LV-426 storyline but explore the Engineers more.
I'll take anything they throw at me but I think both storylines would be fun to explore.

I've read interviews with Scott where he has insisted that the two franchises are not related but.... at the same time it is hard to ignore the evidence otherwise.

My personal way of looking at them is that Prometheus is a light reboot of the Alien verse but instead of discarding the original verse entirely like other reboots have done, the Prometheus verse exists with the original Alien verse and that is how we will end up with sequels coming up for both Alien and Prometheus. It'd be like if Glen Larson was still around doing movies based on the classic Battlestar Galactica while SyFy was doing their own thing with their re-imagined BSG.

Prometheus is set in the same universe as Alien, but no is not a direct prequel as Scott has explained numerous times. Apparently we're getting a whole bunch of new movies, including Prometheus 2 and a new Alien movie set between Aliens and Alien 3. Very happy with that.

For anyone with time on their hands someone has cut an epic Prometheus/Alien hybrid

Back