Quick note

Actually, even if you uncheck the “save a copy” box, the message is stored on AllAlias.com as long as the receiver of the message saves it, and so it would be technically possible for us to read it. However, we have never done so and have no intention to ever do so.

The situation is different for InvisionFree because you don’t have direct access to your database. The regular version of Invison Power Board (the one AllAlias.com uses) has no simple (in the AdminCP) way to read Personal Messages like InvisionFree has. Reading personal messages requires directly accessing the database, which is something that is very tedious (and again, something we have no plans to do).

This is true for everything. If you have a Yahoo! Mail, AOL Mail, Hotmail or any other mail account, the company you have it with can access the information because it is stored on their machine. On an InvisionFree site, the owners of InvisionFree can read all of your Personal Messages.

Also, the statement “already check without the members consent” is misleading because it implies that there is malicious intent. First of all, the check box is what is asking if you want the message stored for you. Furthermore, we don’t control that; it’s a default of the software. In fact, I’ve requested to the makers of the software that what is the default become a user option. Again, however, that would not impact our ability to read the messages (which, again, we have no intention to ever read).

Its an invasion of privacy.
There is no way for us to store the messages and let you have access to them without technically giving ourselves access, because to give you access we have to store the information somewhere, and this somewhere has to be in our control (or how would we set it up?). As I said above, the software we use does NOT have the easy (in AdminCP) ability to read PMs that InvisionFree does.

At AllAlias.com we choose by policy NOT to read personal messages, and I see no reason why we would change that policy unless some really odd thing happened (like the FBI asking us for information and us by law having to comply).

On your site, the owners of InvisionFree could technically read all of your member's personal messages.

And since ill probably getted banned or suspended for letting you guys know this it was nice knowing ya
Why would you get banned or suspended? As I said in a PM earlier, I’m strongly in favor of letting people know the truth and strongly opposed to most forms of censorship (with minor exceptions such as flaming (personal attacks) and so forth).

Charlie said:
Its an invasion of privacy.
There is no way for us to store the messages and let you have access to them without technically giving ourselves access, because to give you access we have to store the information somewhere, and this somewhere has to be in our control (or how would we set it up?). As I said above, the software we use does NOT have the easy (in AdminCP) ability to read PMs that InvisionFree does.

At AllAlias.com we choose by policy NOT to read personal messages, and I see no reason why we would change that policy unless some really odd thing happened (like the FBI asking us for information and us by law having to comply).

On your site, the owners of InvisionFree could technically read all of your member's personal messages.

And since ill probably getted banned or suspended for letting you guys know this it was nice knowing ya
Why would you get banned or suspended? As I said in a PM earlier, I’m strongly in favor of letting people know the truth and strongly opposed to most forms of censorship (with minor exceptions such as flaming (personal attacks) and so forth).
you have the smae software as I do. We both have 1.3!

Charlie said:
Actually, even if you uncheck the “save a copy” box, the message is stored on AllAlias.com as long as the receiver of the message saves it, and so it would be technically possible for us to read it. However, we have never done so and have no intention to ever do so.

The situation is different for InvisionFree because you don’t have direct access to your database. The regular version of Invison Power Board (the one AllAlias.com uses) has no simple (in the AdminCP) way to read Personal Messages like InvisionFree has. Reading personal messages requires directly accessing the database, which is something that is very tedious (and again, something we have no plans to do).

This is true for everything. If you have a Yahoo! Mail, AOL Mail, Hotmail or any other mail account, the company you have it with can access the information because it is stored on their machine. On an InvisionFree site, the owners of InvisionFree can read all of your Personal Messages.

Also, the statement “already check without the members consent” is misleading because it implies that there is malicious intent. First of all, the check box is what is asking if you want the message stored for you. Furthermore, we don’t control that; it’s a default of the software. In fact, I’ve requested to the makers of the software that what is the default become a user option. Again, however, that would not impact our ability to read the messages (which, again, we have no intention to ever read).
Actually if you uncheck the save a copy box then there is no way for an admin to read it and if you know that is is somehow technically possibly to read it then you must have done it before.....

Freelancer1, we do not use the exact same software.

InvisionFree, which you use, uses a custom and modified version of Invision Power Board, which removes some features (such as the normal skinning system) and adds others. AllAlias.com uses the regular version that you download and install yourself from http://invisionboard.com - if you have PHP and MySQL on your web host, you can download the free trial and see for yourself.

Actually if you uncheck the save a copy box then there is no way for an admin to read it and if you know that is is somehow technically possibly to read it then you must have done it before.....
There is no way to read PMs in the AdminCP of the regular Invision Power Board, which AllAlias.com uses, regardless of they are saved by the sender or not. I am aware of this issue because it has been thoroughly discussed on the Invision Power Company Forums (http://forums.invisionpower.com) and Invision Power has made a decision not to allow easy access to PMs. Apparently, InvisionFree came to a different decision and modified the version of the software for InvisionFree users.

There may not be a way for InvisionFree users to directly access the InvisionFree database (where everything is stored), but with most pay hosting services, and even some free ones, you have direct access to everything on your site - raw logs, the files, email, the MySQL database. If we didn't have access to everything on AllAlias.com, we couldn't back it up, and if we didn't back things up, when the site crashed we'd loose everything.

It comes down to trust. We haven't and don't have any plans to read user's personal messages. If you don't trust us, then you don't have to use the personal message system. But remember that whoever your email host is, they can technically read your email, too, and whoever your instant messaging account is with, they could read your IMs, too, since everything goes through their servers. It's like sending a package via the United States Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx. They could technically open it, but you trust that they don't. What it comes down to is faith ;)

What it comes down to is faith. What I was hoping you would say is, 'Sydney, I gave up, I gave up. I lost faith.' But what you came here for was closure. And there is not a chance you're getting that from me. I'm not going to say 'I understand.' I'm not going to sympathize with you and tell you how hard it must be for you. But you want to know how I am? I am horrible, Vaughn. I am ripped apart. And not because I lost you, but because if it had been me I would have waited. I would have found out the truth. I wouldn't have given up on you. And now, I realize what an absolute waste that would have been.

aha sorry when u said "what it comes down to is faith" it reminded me of that charlie lol

Back