Race Update!

Ainilome said:
I've played lots of games where "death warp" was a common term meaning using death to get back to town and it seems a trend

Ya, people used to do that in DAoC. Liked it a lil better tho'.

Which brings me to another point that is prolly not on-topic...
NO PAYING FOR TRAINING!!!

I'm alright with paying for training, just as long as the ones that go for "hard to make money" also factor in the training costs and don't just make it so it's extremely hard to barely slip by with just the bar essentials in training and no armor upgrades.

I liked how in SWG players could teach other players the skills they had learned.. seems more realistic in a RP sense too, maybe have some kind of apprenticeship system.

*grin*

*whistles*

*grins more*

Teaching and learning skills are a big part of DR. From what I know of SWG, the systems are pretty much alike. I'd love to see that in HJ

Teaching and learning skills are a big part of DR. From what I know of SWG, the systems are pretty much alike. I'd love to see that in HJ

Teaching in DR is slow and takes time really. In SWG, you still had to go earn the experience on your own, and once you had enough experience a player could train you up to the next tier instantly. There's no way for another player to give you experience like in DR though.

*grin*

*whistles*

*grins more*

I just love the fact that I was being taught while I sat around and Roleplayed.

NO PAYING FOR TRAINING!!!

I don't mind paying for training, if it fits in the game world, unless the costs are outrageously high (so that you need to really grind to pay for that training). I would like the training to be made more interesting, though. For example, having to find special teachers for special skills, having to gain reputation/favor before the trainer agrees to train you, or doing quests for the trainer that would cover the payment (not needing cash). These are all done to a certain degree in most modern MMORPGs, but they aren't fully realized, IMO. For the most part, it is just waiting for your character to level (ding!) and then going to a "skill vending machine" and purcasing skills and feats your new level will allow.

The amazing thing, however, in a game that lets you 'train' other players over time is... it encourages you to just sit, stand, or hang about... roleplaying... with people.

It's an amazing incentive for people to roleplay who (sadly) want to PROGRESS instead of just sitting there typing.

Yups ^^ If a prydaen types 'gaze my fingers' everyone sees "Prydaen gazes at her claws".

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I was never lucky enough to play SWG pre-NGE but have heard enough friend rave about it ^^ I truely love that many aspects of DR make you sit down and just chill. I hunted for an hour or two last night and ended up "mind locked" in most of my combat skills. I stopped hunting and went to sit down and RP while Tsuim's mind processed her potential exp into real exp. It does require you sometimes to just sit and let things seep in because at a point you stop learning anything. That along with the teach/learning is probably my second favorite game play aspects. It apeals to me and is a feature I'd do cartwheels to see in another game, namely of course HJ ^^

Anything to make gaining exp and advancing in the game less of a grind, more realistic, interactive and fun I am totally for.

That'd be cool. I really liked the Kerra in EQII but they didn't have unique racial emotes or sound cat-like except the NPC ones rolled their r's a lot. But the tails did kind of swish side to side giving them a bit of character. Would be neat if the ears flicked in the wind or flattened during combat or something.

They actually did in EQ2. It's just they had 'big predator' cat heads and when the top lowered most folks had them too small or too misshappened for it to get noticed. But even just /angry in EQ2 would lower the Kerras' ears.

DR's death system is the best I have ever seen... better than RL, even. :smiley: Strict and detrimental enough to appeal to permadeath fans and easy enough to avoid, through accumulation of favors, to appeal to those who never want the possibility of loosing their characters.

If not permanent, death should at least be inconvenient enough to never want to die again.

So just to be sure, when I hit "N" in this game, I won't mysteriously die due to "chunk death?"

That happened a LOT in VG... something to do with bard songs. Sigh.

DR's death system is the best I have ever seen... better than RL, even. :smiley: Strict and detrimental enough to appeal to permadeath fans and easy enough to avoid, through accumulation of favors, to appeal to those who never want the possibility of loosing their characters.

If not permanent, death should at least be inconvenient enough to never want to die again.

interesting, could you tell us how it works?

interesting, could you tell us how it works?

Ask and you shall receive:

Death and Favors

Favors are a gift from the your patron God in exchange for a sacrifice you make to him or her in hopes they'll give you the chance to have a cleric resurrect you when you die.

To talk about Favors, you must first understand how death works in Elanthia. When your body is no longer able to sustain life, your physical form 'dies' and you are spiritually turned into a ghost, bound to your body. From here you have several options:

You may DEPART. This will resurrect you at the local temple -- your possessions will remain where you died, in a grave, unless a Paladin placed the Glyph of Warding upon your body. When you die, you automatically loose two ranks in the skills you have field experience in; these 'memories' can be restored by Clerics, however, the longer you are dead before your body decays, the greater the 'memory' loss. If you did not receive a Glyph from a Paladin, you will have to travel back to your gravesite (the location where you departed), and you will have to dig up your grave to reclaim your equipment. If you do receive a Glyph, you would simply touch the glyph upon returning to your gravesite and you will be wearing all of your possessions again.

If you are travelling with friends, or a friendly passer-by happens along, they may drag you to a Cleric who is able to restore your memories and resurrect your body.

In Elanthia, death can be a permanent thing -- if you don't have favors, thus making this a critical part of the game. There's nothing like playing and building a character for months on end, only to "Walk the Starry Road," a term meaning a character who dies permanently and must reroll.

Favors are boons from the gods, obtained by visiting specific shrines and fulfilling a ritual to obtain an orb with the name of the god whom you've chosen as your patron. With this orb, you rub it to transfer memories from skills you are currently learning into the orb -- once you've filled the orb with enough of your experience, you will sense the orb is prepared to be placed on the altar for sacrifice to your patron god. In return, you are granted a single favor -- each time you depart and are not resurrected, you will lose a favor, but you may not walk the starry road. Those whom die favorless do run the risk of walking the starry road.

Clerics have the option of giving a favor of their own to the person to ensure their continued survival. This is something you do not wish to do, as not only can it take some time to gain a favor for an elder Cleric, clerics can see into the past of people whom they are helping and can see if you've died favorless before. Clerics may not be so gracious to those whom have so carelessly thrown away the faith of their gods.

Three favors is bare minimum. Five and above is preferable. Also note, the more you DEPART the more favors you will eventually need to keep as a minimum to prevent from dying without chance of resurrection.

*nod nod*

It's an awesome system. Favors are easy to get but require giving up a bit of your 'potential' exp and solving a small puzzle. And there are those able to 'rez' so to speak but it's a process as well so even that isn't simple. And you usually have to have someone nice drag your corpse to the empath then the cleric to get raised. It's a very fun system and very creative.

DR's death system is the best I have ever seen... better than RL, even. :smiley:

Okay, even though I hate the term and never usually use it, I must confess, I lolled. I did. LOL.

And right on about the death penalty. It must sting, so that you will try to avoid it as much as possible, but not too much. The correct balance in this is difficult to find, but I must say, the way DR handles character death sounds very good and I would very much like to see a similar system in HJ.

Hmm... What I've read about DR sure makes me want to try it again. Last time I tried, I really couldn't get into it that well and ended up being confused and frustrated more than not. Even though I played a lot of text adventures (by Infocom et al) in the "good ole" 80's, I couldn't seem to get a handle on the text interface any longer. Maybe I'm just rusty and/or spoiled by mouse interfaces. (Note: English is not my first language, so that also complicates things, especially as it seems you need to speed-read and speed-type pretty fluently in DR).

--- Small tribute to old text adventures follows (snif, I'm feeling nostalgic) ---

Your are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
>

Back