Race Update!

As to folks 'leaving' a game pre-public beta because it's the same as other mmo's.. if they keep the same criteria for all games they will never play an mmo again.

You're right...I probably will not be playing another MMO again. I grow infinitely weary of promises of games being cutting edge this, new and intriguing that, brilliant roleplay etc and so forth and further; then a barely out of beta game that looks like every other game out there is released and there's some sort of media spin about how "the beauty of a game is it's never completely finished". Right now, I'm waiting for Warhammer, but I've already explained to people who want to form up a guild there I won't be staying if there isn't a roleplay enforced server, or at least something in place to make it so we don't have to be surrounded by ex-WoW rejects coming along to ruin the fun.

After that, I can't see any other online game holding my interest for long. I find myself thinking it may be time to put MMO's behind me and go find another hobby (which I'm actually doing as spring is finally starting to appear in the UK). The "pull to play" just isn't as intense as it was...because I feel I've pretty much played them all before.

My indifference for this game has little to do with a race change, and a fair bit to do with the fact it's been several years now and there is still little to no information, still having to peel info out of the developers as if it were spun gold, the tiered purchasing thing, and then these switches happening - and if they only now figured out how difficult a biped is to skin, what have they been doing all this time?

Believe it or not, I'm not kicking and screaming and ZOMG!!!111-ing. I'm just taking my money elsewhere; like any consumer, I want to be happy with the product I buy. Whinging about it won't help, but I WILL state why I feel the need to go elsewhere. They haven't bought my loyalty, and I've a right to be happy with what I buy .

Interesting update, wish there was more to it all the same.

As to folks 'leaving' a game pre-public beta because it's the same as other mmo's.. if they keep the same criteria for all games they will never play an mmo again.

No game will stay the same from early designs to production. All mmo's will resemble each other to a extent. There really are limits on what can be actually implement in a realistic time frame and that can be played on consumer PC level hardware. The team has to review what they can achieve in the time they have and things that will significantly add to the time needed & things that would not work or work bad have to be cut. Maybe they can be realised in the longer term but you have to start making calls on what can be achieved for beta and release.

I personally would prefer game development spent more time designing and testing core mechanics for balance, playability and fun than lots of races or award winnin graphic design.

I'd have probably said the same thing 3 years ago.

Fact of the matter is, HJ sold itself early on as a game that was 'different'. Now it's shaping up to be.. 'very similar too'. There's nothing wrong with expecting different. I myself find it more wrong to make excuses for conformity. But that is all a matter of opinion and way too open ended to discuss around here. I don't feel like getting deleted again. ;)

How come we can't be the same and different at the same time?

I know that as a person, I do a lot of things that my friends do, but at the same time I'm different from all of them. Not that I have real friends anyway, unless my boyfriend counts.

Well, in that case WoW and EQ2 are different but the same too...
replicas, but visual and lore differs... :/ (I hope its more that differs between "teh old" and HJ)

..or im not following you Diviana

How come we can't be the same and different at the same time?

I know that as a person, I do a lot of things that my friends do, but at the same time I'm different from all of them. Not that I have real friends anyway, unless my boyfriend counts.

Being an individual and having individuality are two completely different things.
Apples are apples, but you can easily tell folks which apple you like the most. Nuts are nuts, but how different are cashews and peanuts?
Let's compare it to a box of mixed nuts.
How different is one peanut from another peanut? How different is one peanut from it's counterpart in the same shell? Not very much.
I'm tired of peanuts, I was told there would be some more almonds in this mix but all I'm seeing are the same ol' peanuts. Sure this one has a lil' more salt on it, oh and that one is a wrinkled lil' black peanut. But again, I'm done with peanuts. Different. The package said.. 50% less peanuts in the container! WELL DAMN I'M SOLD! I open the package and there's still 9 peanuts to every single cashew, almond, Brazil, or pecan.

I totally love that nut analogy, Luciro. And my sentiments on the matter are about the same as Trillian though I won't knock HJ until I try it, in the mean time I guess SOE can keep having my money there really is no difference to the games so I might as well play something Star Wars regardless of how much the game has been changed.

Leo said:
I won't knock HJ until I try it
Same, how do you know something isn't different or isn't worth playing 'till you've played?

Luciro said:
There's nothing wrong with expecting different. I myself find it more wrong to make excuses for conformity. But that is all a matter of opinion and way too open ended to discuss around here. I don't feel like getting deleted again.

Lol, you should start some kind of chat room or something about it then. I don't think they can delete you there ;)

Lol, I knew you didn't care Luc...
In fact, I laughed when I saw that...
...Hell, just hope HJ doesn't come with packages of goods...

So imagine these fuzzy plums shoved into a yarn tube sock drying on a clothes line. HJ has nothing to do with that.

Now there's an analogy.

Back