Race Update!

I'll try harder next time! Well I didn't use the c_re word and I haven't seen cordy around. :P

But yeah. All in all back on topic. I'd rather have a reason for there to be races, different game play, and a lot of options other than how large and bulbous I can make my half breed Wukakatiki's nose.

But dwarves and elves are so over done and are always treated as simply one extreme of humanity or another. MORE DIFFERENT NUTS!!!!!

I mean truly, we all want to be unique right? Well being a tall human with pointy ears or a short one with a beard is sheer bull---- on the promise we'll all look different. Why can't they get their heads out of their asses pimping the HeroEngine and get some morphed lizard, dog, and cat folks to us at launch? Rather than take the easy road, morph the same male and female model for everyone and be done with it?

Seriously, the character models were once the most fantastic feature to HJ and now they're just place holders for an incomplete game that's been in the making for the better part of a decade and probably won't be out in playable force until well into the TEENS. Make excuses for them, but they should get a good art team together and get some actual work done.

Oh come on, I think that argument's a bit weak, Luciro. Because they took out the kitty people that are ubiquitous in everything else, suddenly their character models go from the most fantastic to incomplete and overdone? Even when there were 2 versions of each of the races, they were still just (save for the 2 suwari races- one of which was never playable from the get-go) human clones- tall or short, more natural or magical, pointed ears rounded, bearded or not. It's not like you can say HJ had half a dozen different and fantastical kinds of beings to play.

Look at WoW- tauren, orcs, humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, trolls, undead, freakin' extra-terrestrial shamanistic draenei- that's quite alot of diversity in culture and appearance. That cannot compare to (as you would say) tall humans with pointy ears, short humans with beards, humans, and kitty people. I agree with you that they should have more variety- but you can't argue that they used to have that variety that you are craving.

Oh come on, I think that argument's a bit weak, Luciro. Because they took out the kitty people that are ubiquitous in everything else, suddenly their character models go from the most fantastic to incomplete and overdone? Even when there were 2 versions of each of the races, they were still just (save for the 2 suwari races- one of which was never playable from the get-go) human clones- tall or short, more natural or magical, pointed ears rounded, bearded or not. It's not like you can say HJ had half a dozen different and fantastical kinds of beings to play.

Look at WoW- tauren, orcs, humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, trolls, undead, freakin' extra-terrestrial shamanistic draenei- that's quite alot of diversity in culture and appearance. That cannot compare to (as you would say) tall humans with pointy ears, short humans with beards, humans, and kitty people. I agree with you that they should have more variety- but you can't argue that they used to have that variety that you are craving.

Remember when there were races and sub races? With the possibility of racial traits? You can't do that when you blend them altogether. You can try to in the game by following written customs maybe following a certain clothing style, using certain classes or weapon forms. But there's no real in game support now to play your blended dwarf, elf, human. There's no rhyme or reason to be a tog or a quwi. They'll look cool but again I don't see any support for culture here.

Oh and I'd agree, they were hurting for something unique from the beginning.

i liked the FFXI races. Galka were so unique. And elvaan were portrayed differently as a physical race rather than magical. And their physical appearance showed it.

Just poking around to see the status of the game.. and what's this, no Suwari due to model issues? This is Vanguard all over again. So crushed. ;.;

Back