Season 5 Rachel - the new Sydney?

jems

michael's widow in mourning
Hi people. :hi:

this place is so quite these days so I thought I would try and drum up some kind of debate. I was just wondering how people are liking Rachle at this stage of Season 5 and how you would like her role to progress through the season. I am really enjoying our new girl (after having major doubts when i heard rumours of a "syd replacement" in the summer) and just wondered what everyone else thought. :smiley:

So, in a very verdnatheart essay style i offer some questions -

questions:

1. Do you like our new girl so far - and by like Rachel I mean both the actress' portrayal of Rachel and also the writen Rachel (the girl who was taken is just as our sydney was all those years ago)?

2. How do you feel about the idea of Rachel being Sydney's protege and being trained for field mission (if indeed this is what is going to happen?!)? Do you think this would be a natural course for her or do you think she should stay in her field - computers?? and how might this affect other character roles on the show (marshall!! dixon!!) ??

3. Do you like her chemistry with Thomas? Do you think it would be silly if they hook up later this season or would you welcome more spy lovin'? Sure we have only seen a little but I was impressed with the "binomial calculus" and the "not your type" quips enough to be interested in where this relationship might go.

4. What would you like to see more of - Rachel and Marshall brain storming and battling for genius status OR Rachel being trained by Syd to kick ass OR Rachel and Thomas on mission getting to know each other?

and finally - is there anything else you would like to say about the new girl either actress or character? :smiley:

1. I do like her so far :smiley: I'm glad they didn't make her a 'new Sydney', you know, kicking bad guy ass all the time.. Yet, anyway. Even though she and Sydney both have worked for a criminal organization thinking it was the CIA, she's actually quite different from Syd, and I think that's a good thing. The characters of Alias have always been different from each other, and that's one part of the reason the show is so good.

2. I like the idea! It sounds like a great storyline. I think it would be a natural course for Rachel, but I hope she won't abandon the computer field for good, since she seems to be a natural in it.

3. I would totally welcome some spy lovin' :D S5 has to have some romance in it, too. And if it can't be Sydney and Vaughn, Rachel and Thomas would be just fine :smiley:

4. All of those, please!

I actually like the Rachel storyline...at first I was like :rolleyes: . But it has grown on me. She is no Sydney...and I am glad. She is actually more of a Marshall. I hope they keep it that way. And as far as scenes....I would love to see Marshall/Rachel action. I also like Syd/Rachel scenes. It is cool to see Sydney revisit that part of her life through Rachel and help Rachel walk through it. Good questions! Thanks for the topic! :smiley:

I actually like the Rachel storyline...at first I was like :rolleyes: . But it has grown on me. She is no Sydney...and I am glad. She is actually more of a Marshall. I hope they keep it that way. And as far as scenes....I would love to see Marshall/Rachel action. I also like Syd/Rachel scenes. It is cool to see Sydney revisit that part of her life through Rachel and help Rachel walk through it. Good questions! Thanks for the topic! :smiley:

I must admit the same happened to me. I didn't like her initially, perhaps it was because it seemed like she would take over syd's part, but as the story progressed, even though I still think she will take over syd's part, it's through a different route.

I noticed in this episode, before the 'it's never going to end" bit, she mentioned something about being in the custody of APO. in my opinion, it implied that she would leave the biz if she could, but because she can't at the moment, she won't. And with the "it's never going to end" bit, she's going to be stuck in this cycle, just like Sydney was when she was first ready to leave the biz. By staying, the work of APO will probably grow on her, and before she knows it, she won't want to leave. She'll want to be a part of the team helping to stop all the bad in the world. With the amount of time she's already spending with Sydney, it seems inevitable that she will pick up on Sydney's skills. She already admitted that nothing much would scare her, so I wouldn't be too surprised if she goes on to become a field agent. Haha, it's funny though that she would stumble upon the CIA through a black ops unit...and come to work for them through those means, considering they are supposed to be "invisible" and nonexistant...

I would definitely not mind if she had some more exchanges with Marshall. Hehe...two technology geniuses!! APO definitely going to be top notch! The syd/rachel bits are also nice. It is interesting to see how sydney dealt with it all in the earlier years. And the rookie years are always interesting. That's when all the mistakes are made...haha...nothings perfect and anything can go wrong!!!

I'm not sure I like Thomas. I don't really think him and rachel are a match, but I guess we'll see. It seems quite likely that they'll hook up though...since well, Alias without couples...when has there been an Alias without SOME love? Haha...with all the former couples gone...someone's gotta remedy that..

ok i think that was all of my mixed up rant. wouldn't be surprised if parts of it made no sense...but i should start my studying of physics now...

yeah, i like her she is cool. i felt really bad for her though in the shed. i think her and the new guy will get together. rachel is cool. but she is more of a techy than a field agent.

just out of interest - does anyone think she might be a bad guy??? :thinking:

it never crosed my mind until I read somebody ask it somewhere else :lol: personally i think if they merge the syd story and the blonde-who-must-not-be-mentioned story i think the writers needs a holiday - or some inspiration :rolleyes: but I just wondered if anyone here thought she might be hiding something. :smiley:

intersting that people are liking her already - i really think the actress has a lot to do with that cos personally i feel the story is a bit lame.

just out of interest - does anyone think she might be a bad guy??? :thinking:
i did at first
until she got all whimpy and whiny and blah blah blah... now i dont

anyway *sigh* here comes the cynic again
ok in ep 503 when it tured out she was working for the shed -the SD6 like thing so she was, in effect, Sydney i was like ohhhhhh cool
but this past ep 504 kinda took away the "ohh cool" factor for me... b/c i mean she started out JUST like syd all i just wanan do this and get out etc but then ... shes so whiny and scaredish.... she bugs me i kinda just wanted to slap her or something

as for her becoming syd's protogee - in theory its interesting b/c you can tell syd would be TOATALLY annoyed/frusterated by the newbie who is crappy and shes gonna be chomping at the bit for not being able to get in there herself (but she has dimples! :love: )
anyway... i just dont see rachel as the 'next syd' type.... syd is so strong and independant and ass kicking... rachel, it seems, is too sweet innocent and doesnt have that murderous sloane revenge thing going on

dunno... i dont think shes a very well written character...
and as for her & thomas... sure, why not... just keep him away from syd.... frankly i dislike thomas intensely so i could really care less - as long as they dont come within 10 miles of being the next s.v <_<

/rant

:P

I must be backwards.. I liked her more at first, but then when she got winy scardey it turned me off a bit. As I said in another post, I'll reserve judgement on her. I do think the challange to Marshall's intellect is very good.

just out of interest - does anyone think she might be a bad guy???

Good question! It's a fun story idea, but I don't see it. After Lauren it would be too redundant even for Alias. But I do suspect (again, after the Lauren fiasco) that the writers will move slowly with her to see if the fans like her.

and as for her & thomas... sure, why not... just keep him away from syd.
I personally would like to not so much see them get together as see a 'chase' for at least a season, i.e., Tom panting after her and her not being interested. :smiley: I still think Syd/Vaughn were at the top of their game in the first season when it was all an underlying tension that was HOT!

I'm VERY interested in the Thomas character. We know that Jack knows SOMETHING about him
BIGWIG DC GUY (as Jack reads report on Thomas and raises eyebrows) "Yeah. Can you handle that?"

JACK: Nods head yes.

I think we either know who this guy is.. or know his relatives..or know something he's done in the past. And the mystery of it is SOOO Alias like I'm loving it

(y)

I dont like her. -_- The whole idea of basically redoing Syd's storyline, but with a crappier Syd bugs me... But I'm trying to be open minded. Hopefully it'll get better for me.

Rachel seems cool, but if she is with the bad guys or not, is to early to say I guess. We don't know if the hole thing was just a set up so Rachel could regain CIA's trust. But i really belive she is good.

In the scene when she was going back to the office and download the informasjon on the hard drive we saw that she was cracked up with all these thoughts like Sydney was when she found out about SD-6.

So i guess she is good, but you never know. It is ALIAS :P

i did at first

as for her becoming syd's protogee - in theory its interesting b/c you can tell syd would be TOATALLY annoyed/frusterated by the newbie who is crappy and shes gonna be chomping at the bit for not being able to get in there herself (but she has dimples! :love: )
anyway... i just dont see rachel as the 'next syd' type.... syd is so strong and independant and ass kicking... rachel, it seems, is too sweet innocent and doesnt have that murderous sloane revenge thing going on

dunno... i dont think shes a very well written character...
and as for her & thomas... sure, why not... just keep him away from syd.... frankly i dislike thomas intensely so i could really care less - as long as they dont come within 10 miles of being the next s.v <_<

Hmm I think I had to look past the wimpy bit before I could like her myself. It's also a bit surprising how she could change so easily (although I think that's the writers doing...just look at how fast vaughn's death passed by!).

The thing that does interest me with her being Syd's protegee is the annoyance and frustration that would come with it! heh...I'm curious to see how Syd would deal with it and if she would have the patience to guide Rachel through the season. Rachel does seem sweet and innocent, but maybe something will happen that will give her that dangerous edge. All you need is to find someone she loves and kill them off...haha...

I personally would like to not so much see them get together as see a 'chase' for at least a season, i.e., Tom panting after her and her not being interested. :smiley: I still think Syd/Vaughn were at the top of their game in the first season when it was all an underlying tension that was HOT!

I'm VERY interested in the Thomas character. We know that Jack knows SOMETHING about him
BIGWIG DC GUY (as Jack reads report on Thomas and raises eyebrows) "Yeah. Can you handle that?"

JACK: Nods head yes.

I think we either know who this guy is.. or know his relatives..or know something he's done in the past. And the mystery of it is SOOO Alias like I'm loving it

(y)

I never noticed that! Obviously there's more to Thomas than meets the eye.

I think it would definitely be more interesting if Rachel played the "I'm not interested" part and Thomas continued to "chase" her. I've noticed one thing in Alias: couples don't go very far!!! So I really don't think them hooking up will be any good...nor of any interest...

1. Do you like our new girl so far - and by like Rachel I mean both the actress' portrayal of Rachel and also the writen Rachel (the girl who was taken is just as our sydney was all those years ago)?

MY ANSWER: I hate her. I have nothing against the actress, but I despise the character.

2. How do you feel about the idea of Rachel being Sydney's protege and being trained for field mission (if indeed this is what is going to happen?!)? Do you think this would be a natural course for her or do you think she should stay in her field - computers?? and how might this affect other character roles on the show (marshall!! dixon!!) ??

MY ANSWER: I hate the fact that Sydney's her handler and all that felgercarb. Rachel's trying to take over the show.

3. Do you like her chemistry with Thomas? Do you think it would be silly if they hook up later this season or would you welcome more spy lovin'? Sure we have only seen a little but I was impressed with the "binomial calculus" and the "not your type" quips enough to be interested in where this relationship might go.

MY ANSWER: I don't care if she hooks up with Thomas. They'd be cute but if they EVER try to replace S/V - I might..kill them. :P

4. What would you like to see more of - Rachel and Marshall brain storming and battling for genius status OR Rachel being trained by Syd to kick ass OR Rachel and Thomas on mission getting to know each other?

MY ANSWER: Uuuh..I don't want her to think she's better than Marshall,a nd I don't want Syd to train her..So Rache & Thomas on missions I guess.

and finally - is there anything else you would like to say about the new girl either actress or character?

MY ANSWER: Rachel Gibson has ruined everything that was good about Alias. Period.

i did at first

anyway *sigh* here comes the cynic again
ok in ep 503 when it tured out she was working for the shed -the SD6 like thing so she was, in effect, Sydney i was like ohhhhhh cool
but this past ep 504 kinda took away the "ohh cool" factor for me... b/c i mean she started out JUST like syd all i just wanan do this and get out etc but then ... shes so whiny and scaredish.... she bugs me i kinda just wanted to slap her or something

very good point about the lack of revenge!!!! (y) i hadn't thought of that MAJOR factor which effects Sydney and her desire to be the best kick ass spy there ever was!!! good call!! ;) rachel doesn't have that for sure - or at least not that we know of!!!! mind you with sloane on the loose who knows who he will kill next!! L :P

and it seems quite a few of you are not too down with her being a whiney girl!!! ^_^ i didn't really see it as that I guess - i really felt for her finding out her whole world was changing (yes i am a sap :rolleyes: )

and word on the s/v rant ;)

me too - i was so against him at first cos when he walked into APO to vaughn's desk it annoyed me so much - it made it like they are trying to replace MV -_- but his character has just settled right on in and he seems pretty cool :smiley:

:thinking: I think shes great! I just read something on Alias Media thats quite disturbing about her and another character...I dont want to spoil it for anyone tho :angelic:

yes this is why i asked one of the above questions ;) but i'll say no more cosi also don't wanna spoil anyone either :smiley:

thanks for the intersting feedback guys :D

The Rachel Gibson character was introduced to replace Jennifer Garner's Sydney, because of her pregnancy.

Wikipedia said:
The character of Rachel Gibson was introduced to provide back-up support for Jennifer Garner's character Sydney Bristow, because of Garner's real-life pregnancy. It has been reported that the character had also been established as a possible replacement for Bristow should Garner leave the series. The subsequent cancellation of the series rendered this eventuality moot.

Link: Rachel Gibson - Wikipedia

Yeah they had to have someone who could do missions that Syd couldnt by the time Syd's character was coming to term, as great as Syd is there were some missions that a heavily preggy Miss Bristow couldnt do, I didnt warm to the Rachel Gibson character to begin with, found her a bit weedy, but she toughened up as the series went on and ended up a strong cast member, I personally would have loved it if Renee Rienne had ended up at APO,imagine her and Kelly Peyton going at it with each other?? (Plus Elodine Bouchez is f***in hot!! Mind u Rachel Nicholls is fit too, but what can I say French is a sexy language,I have to learn it!)

Back