Sci-Fi Rampage (2018)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Rampage

Tagline: Big meets bigger

Genre: Action

Director: Brad Peyton

Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Naomie Harris, Malin Åkerman, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Jake Lacy, Joe Manganiello, Marley Shelton, P. J. Byrne, Demetrius Grosse, Jack Quaid, Breanne Hill, Matt Gerald, Will Yun Lee, Urijah Faber, Bruce Blackshear, Jason Liles, Mac Wells, Allyssa Brooke, Stephen Dunlevy, Danny Le Boyer, Alan Boell, Adam Sztykiel, DJames Jones, Gary Weeks, David An, Arnold Chun, Gregory Hoyt, Suzanne Cotsakos, Ross Philips, Bernard Dowdell, Robin Meade, Chris Murphy, Maria Arcega-Dunn, Jason Sloss, Shannon Halligan, Andy John Roesgen, John Crow, Lane Carlock, Wendy Yang, Skye Notary, Willow Notary, Chase Anderson, Jeff Baird, Jasmine Bolton, Brandon Bowens, Pete Burris, Andrea Antonio Canal, Timothy Carr, David Dunston, Lex Elle, Matthew Ewald, John Gettier, Eric Ian, Tyler Jackson, Jessica Medina, Lauren Michele, Andrew Morgado, David Oelert, Valentina Latyna Plascencia, Rekkhan, Henardo Rodriguez, Jamin Thompson, Joey Thurmond, Robert Tinsley, Giota Trakas, Michael David Yuhl, Perry Zulu Jr., David An

Release: 2018-04-12

Runtime: 107

Plot: Primatologist Davis Okoye shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.
Rampage (2018)

Rampage (2018)

PG-13 | 1h 47min | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi | 13 April 2018 (USA)

Director:
Brad Peyton
Writers:
Ryan Engle (screenplay by), Carlton Cuse (screenplay by)
Stars:
Dwayne Johnson, Naomie Harris, Malin Akerman

Athena-1, a space station owned by gene manipulation company Energyne, is destroyed after a laboratory rat mutates and wreaks havoc. Dr. Kerry Atkins, the lone surviving crew member, is ordered by CEO Claire Wyden to retrieve research canisters containing a pathogen. Atkins is able to flee in the escape pod when the station implodes, but due to damage from the rat it disintegrates upon re-entry, killing her. The falling pieces leave a trail of debris across the United States, including the Everglades in Florida, where a canister is consumed by an American crocodile, and a forest in Wyoming, where a gray wolf is exposed to the pathogen. Primatologist Davis Okoye, a former US Army Special Forces soldier and member of an anti-poaching unit, works at the San Diego Wildlife Sanctuary. He has befriended a rare albino western lowland gorilla named George, having saved him from poachers, and communicates with George using sign language and hand gestures. At night, one of the canisters crash-lands in George's habitat, and George is exposed to the pathogen..

This film far exceeds my initial interest.
I have watched this at least 20 times and plan on watching it another 20.
Right now, its one of my favorite movies and so far, everyone I have talked to that has seen it loves it.

It just 'works' on so many levels.
I have so many points worthy of discussion.
If there isn't a movie series done, it will be a crime!
Waiting with anticipation for Rampage 2!

My rating: 4.995 out of 5 rampaging giant mutant animals!

Noteworthy:
Pay attention to Dr. Kerry Atkins when she attempts to 'save' the canisters on the station.
Note that there are 8 canisters and she only save 3.
Also note that said canisters are designed to survive reentry.
There are 5 other canisters that went down with the station.
This leave the option for an additional 5 more films that could continue the story.
I don't think we have seen the last of George and Davis.

stuff like that creeps me out so not interested.
thanks for the review. as I recall it did decent at the box office but not super.

There are a few people that haven't seen the film that think it will be bad because it is based on a game.
All I can say is "give it a watch"
Everyone, and I do mean everyone I know that has seen it, likes it.
I just watched it again tonight.
I'll watch it again before the end of the month.
Its well made and entertaining.
But, hey, I also liked Battleship (2012)

I watch a lot of bad movies, really bad movies.
When I see one that has good production values, likeable characters and a story that makes sense (in the scope of the film) it is refreshing and entertaining.
I don't make movies.
I watch them, this one is worthy of watching.

Catching up on movie watching and finally watched this one from off the DVR. Was it a "bad" movie? Nah, not really, but it certainly wasn't any better than your typical Asylum creature movie that they crank out.

The most likable character was George when he was his normal self, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the shadowy government agent had potential but the rest of the them could be swapped out for nearly just about any other actor/actress and it'd be the same movie.