Random thoughts.... post yours!

I don't think, that in my lifetime, I will ever again experience being a member of a subculture dedicated to a tv series. The Walking Dead was a phenomenon.

I don't think, that in my lifetime, I will ever again experience being a member of a subculture dedicated to a tv series. The Walking Dead was a phenomenon.
I think the Game of Thrones fandom comes close and, I daresay, these days might even exceed TWD.

Never spit in a fan, never break wind in a small vehicle, fast food isn't fast, and you will always get the blams! 152bacf686d453c00fdac4f21cc44713.jpg.png

The show is cool but ASOIAF books are the real culture same for TWD. The comics makes for a much stronger fan culture.
Don't shoot me but I really think that the fandom for GoT is stronger than ASOIAF. Now, let me explain.... :P

GoT has gotten a huge social following with friends & family groups, who might normally not even be interested in genre shows, all watching and a good portion of those fans have likely never read the source material. Sure, they might know that they are based on a series of books by the big weird guy with a beard but I'm willing to bet that for a large number of GoT fans that the extant of their knowledge of ASOIAF ends there.

The same with TWD; it'd likely surprise a lot of TWD fans to find out that the source material is a comic series.

In each of these cases the fandom for the derivative works, I'd argue, has far exceeded the fandom of the original source materials. The fandom for the source items may be strong, loyal, & dedicated but versus their TV versions those fandoms are far outnumbered.

Don't shoot me but I really think that the fandom for GoT is stronger than ASOIAF. Now, let me explain.... :P

GoT has gotten a huge social following with friends & family groups, who might normally not even be interested in genre shows, all watching and a good portion of those fans have likely never read the source material. Sure, they might know that they are based on a series of books by the big weird guy with a beard but I'm willing to bet that for a large number of GoT fans that the extant of their knowledge of ASOIAF ends there.

The same with TWD; it'd likely surprise a lot of TWD fans to find out that the source material is a comic series.

In each of these cases the fandom for the derivative works, I'd argue, has far exceeded the fandom of the original source materials. The fandom for the source items may be strong, loyal, & dedicated but versus their TV versions those fandoms are far outnumbered.

i think the shows brought most of the fans in but ASOIAF creates a world that the show cant touch. i would never say the books are bigger then the show but the show is its own entity. the fans of the books however defiantly have a stronger culture behind there knowledge of the Relm. we are the source of info for all show fans because the one thing the show did poorly on was answering its own questions they kill off and merg story's rather then thinking it though from the beginning. GRRM isnt finished and even if he completes the next book and 3 more after it the relm will survive and the story will last forever.

As for TWD people should know its a comic to stop the "that couldnt happen" arguments. they do a good job on both story's and you dont have to know any more then it is based on a comic to enjoy it. i lost track in the middle of the season were (SPOILER ALERT) Glen and Abraham died but all in all i will catch up

Physicists create new form of light: Newly observed optical state could enable quantum computing with photons

Newly observed optical state could enable quantum computing with photons

Date:
February 15, 2018
Source:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Summary:
Physicists have created a new form of light that could enable quantum computing with photons.

While photons normally have no mass and travel at 300,000 kilometers per second (the speed of light), the researchers found that the bound photons actually acquired a fraction of an electron's mass. These newly weighed-down light particles were also relatively sluggish, traveling about 100,000 times slower than normal noninteracting photons.

"What's neat about this is, when photons go through the medium, anything that happens in the medium, they 'remember' when they get out," Cantu says.

"Photons can travel very fast over long distances, and people have been using light to transmit information, such as in optical fibers," Vuletic says. "If photons can influence one another, then if you can entangle these photons, and we've done that, you can use them to distribute quantum information in an interesting and useful way."

Going forward, the team will look for ways to coerce other interactions such as repulsion, where photons may scatter off each other like billiard balls.

I want a light sabre!
I want a photon torpedo!
I want a quantum computer!

What is the difference between quantum and photons?
A photon is the 'quantum' of electromagnetic radiation. The term quantum is the smallest elemental unit of a quantity, or the smallest discrete amount of something. Thus, one quantum of electromagnetic energy is called a photon. The plural of quantum is quanta.

Quantum mechanics is the body of scientific laws that describe the wacky behavior of photons, electrons and the other particles that make up the universe. It promises to demystify all the secrets of quantum physics, including Schrödinger's cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, and parallel universes.

Quantum mechanics tells us that light can behave simultaneously as a particle or a wave. However, there has never been an experiment able to capture both natures of light at the same time; the closest we have come is seeing either wave or particle, but always at different times, until now.

What they did was 'entangle' two photons as particles and released them as a wave. The wave streams then interact with each other from the particle masses. Essentially, making light bounce off light. The process holds great potention for applications like lasers and interactive communications. This science is the infant stages of what may one day power spaceships, allow quantum computers to work, possibly even create light paths we can walk on.

Light beams that interact with each other.
Light that is a particle and a waveform.

With advancements;

Holodeck emitters
Space elevator platform stabilizer
Space Station light tethers (connecting two or more stations)

With enough energy and particles it might one day be possible to push regular matter with light.

NASA has already invented an Ion Drive and it does work.
What if there was a light drive? Sure there isn't much mass in a photon particle but if it were multiplied and beefed up, who knows?

The next big step would be to entangle regular matter with a photon particle, say a carbon atom? The article states that the photon speed slows a bit while entangled but it still moves 66.6% of c. To accelerate a carbon atom to 66% of c would be a huge break thru.

While photons normally have no mass and travel at 300,000 kilometers per second (the speed of light), the researchers found that the bound photons actually acquired a fraction of an electron's mass. These newly weighed-down light particles were also relatively sluggish, traveling about 100,000 times slower than normal noninteracting photons.

Even at 50% of c would be astonishing. Plus if they could add a few bosons to the mix to create a bose-einstein condensate, the low temps would keep the carbon atom from burning up from resistance.

Then you have a carbon cannon at half the speed of light.
Our fastest machine ever propelled was Helios (0.0002 of c)

In 1974 and 1976, NASA launched a pair of German probes called Helios I and II. When their highly-elongated orbits swung them close by the sun, they reached speeds in the neighborhood of—get this—157,000 miles per hour (70 km/s). Helios II was the speedier of the two by a hair, making it the fastest man-made object in history. For all that unimaginable speed, the Helios probes traveled at only 0.000234 times the speed of light.

Sweet home Alabama lord I'm comin' home to you. I hope Neil Young will remember a Southern man don't need him around anyhow!:cool:

Watched both John Wick: Chapter 2 and Atomic Blonde this week on Blu-Ray. Of the two I liked Atomic Blonde much better which surprised me a bit since I really liked the original John Wick movie.

So, I decided to head to the local grocery store today. Three blocks away. I 'm concentrating on what I need to get and all ova sudden I have blue lights behind me.
So I pull over and as I'm reaching for my wallet I realized I didn't have my seatbelt on.
The cop asks for my license (which I had in hand, and my proof of insurance) so I get into my center console and open my document holder and my most recent card is not there. So, knowing that I always print a spare for my wallet I look in my wallet - tear everything out...not there!?
While looking for my insurance, my spare truck key fell out. I picked it up and placed it on the dash and continued to search for my insurance (I know I paid it). (I keep a spare truck key in my wallet and a spare house key in my truck.)
The cop went back to his car and ran my info. He comes back, ticket in hand and told me he verified my insurance for me but I should get a copy for the truck. I took the seatbelt ticket and he left.
I start putting everything back in the console and my wallet and for the life of me can't find my spare truck key.
I pull everything back out, check on the floor, between and under the seat, down in the dash vents, even outside on the ground. No Freakin key!
I get home, print out two more insurance cards, put one in my wallet and one in my truck and commence to literally tear my truck interior apart to find my key. Nothing. I go back to the site of the ticket, search the ground...Nothing.
I come home, look up what to expect the fine for no seat belt to be and the Mississippi site says anywhere from $25 to $75. Okay, I screwed up, I'll pay it. I normally wear it, dunno why I didn't today.
What is really getting my goat is the dissappearing truck key!
I even checked to see if it found its way into my shoe? Nothing.
I know I put it on the freakin dash!
This is going to haunt me till I find it. I mean, it couldn't have gone far.
Meh, I need to spring clean my truck anyway. Just was hoping to wait till later.
Grrr.

I'm thinking if...

Young Dr Young and young Mrs Young have an old cat
And old Dr Old and old Mrs Old have a young dog
And old Dr Young and old Mrs Young have an old dog
And young Dr Old and young Mrs Old have a young cat
How much ketchup do they consume on a Tuesday night playing cards?

Okay, nevermind, I got it...
2.8 floz
Old Mrs Old can confirm that dogs are salty
and
old Dr young confirms that cats require no additional flavoring
But... young Dr Old has an affinity for ketchup sandwiches

Any strange rattling in your dash air vents? :D
Is your dash making noises, whew that's a job! Chevy's are a pain to work on, but there are worse cars. Old school cars are much less difficult to get to, but yanking out seats and laying on your back for an old dude is painful, take it to a dealer or a mechanic you can trust.:cool:

Never get into a gossip circle at any job, remain neutral, or you be sucked in like a black hole in space, and you will hate the outcome. If folks are gossipin' about you, ignore em' ya cant talk to a brick wall. And remember folks are always sayin' something about other folks either its good or bad its a goin' on. Grab a fishin pole, some gear, some Tillamook beef jerky, some soda pop, and head on down to the fishin' hole and let your troubles wash away like the ripples on the water...........;)

Leaving the Costco parking lot with the cargo area of my Grand Cherokee loaded with groceries & supplies...

Mrs. Kevin : After we drop this stuff off at the house we need to go Giant to figure out what to do for dinner tonight.​
Kevin: Wait, what?! :banghead:

Leaving the Costco parking lot with the cargo area of my Grand Cherokee loaded with groceries & supplies...

Mrs. Kevin : After we drop this stuff off at the house we need to go Giant to figure out what to do for dinner tonight.​
Kevin: Wait, what?! :banghead:
You just went shopping, and now its time for more, lol!
Lol, women and credit cards!

Back