Rank the Alias Regulars

So, I thought it would be interesting to rank the regular characters by who is most vital to the show, like if they left the show would be ruined for you. I'm not talking about which character's you like best, but which you think play the most important role on Alias. By regular characters I mean Dixon, Jack, Marshall, Nadia, Sloane, Syd, Vaughn, and Weiss. (In alphabetical order.) Oh, and if you could explain how you picked your order that would be great.

Here's my list:

1) Syd: Well, I think this one is obvious since she's the main character. Just look at the opening credits, this is JG's show. Syd is the one we're supposed to identify with and root for, plus she's the Chosen One according to Rambaldi.

2) Jack: I picked Jack as the second most important character because he serves as a mentor and foil for Syd. In S1-2 he often went behind her back and his stoicism was contrasted with Syd's more emotional way of living. Then in S3 he became her main confidante. The Syd/Jack relationship is one of the centers of the show imo.

3) Sloane: Sloane is one creepy guy, but his role is central. He's the main antagonist, even when he's supposedly on Syd's side. He keeps us guessing and provides lots of fodder for Rambaldi plotlines.

4) Vaughn: The top three were easier to pick, but this one was trickier. I put Vaughn above Nadia because he's been around longer and his relationship with Syd has therefore had more time to develop and gain signifigance. The end of last season really focused a lot on Vaughn and his vendetta against Lauren and recently he once again stepped into the spotlight with the search Bill Vaughn. Mostly I think Vaughn is important to us because he's important to Syd.

5) Nadia: I really didn't know what to think of Nadia when we first met her in S3. She seemed like this poor victim and then BAM she started to kick ass. That dichotomy has followed through into this year with her obvious skills as an agent contrasted with her possibly naive acceptance of the lies people (Jack/Syd/Sloane/Katya) have been telling her. Her presence adds new dimensions to Sloane's character and of course her role in the Prophecy will undoubtedly make her take a bigger role in the future.

6) Marshall: I was almost tempted to put Marshall above Nadia because I think I would miss him more than I would miss her, but regardless I think Marshall is the most important secondary character who is not in the "spyfamily" by blood or boyfriend status. He gives us a reason to laugh and offers a refreshingly optimistic/less-complicated view of the spyworld. Marshall's motives are generally crystal clear and when he goes on missions we get comedy gold.

7) Weiss: Weiss was mostly a comedic sidekick for the first 3 seasons, although he listened to Syd's problems last year too. His relationship with Nadia has given him more to do this year, but I wouldn't say he is vital to the show.

8) Dixon: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Dixon. He's a great guy, my favorite partner for Syd, and another person to keep a watchful eye on Sloane, but overall he has the fewest ties to the rest of the characters, which is why I put him last. I think the show could last without him and Weiss and maybe even Marshall or Nadia, but I would of course miss them all.

All right, so what do you guys think? Who's most important?

I completely agree with that order! Of course Syd's the most important :D she's the protagonist. I've always thought Dixon was pretty important until this season. This year he's kind of just there. So I agree that he's least important, because he doesn't really do much. Maybe they will have a story for him in the future? I hope so, Dixon's awesome :D

1. Syd - Duh! She's the main character and the Chosen One.
2. Sloane - He's the main antagonist (even when he's "good") to the main character like you said (though I think that he's going to revert back to the dark side). He's got all the Rambaldi knowledge and that's key. There'd be no real plot, for the most part, without Arvin Sloane so I listed him as 2nd most important.
3. Jack - His relationship with Syd is far more important than her relationship with Vaughn (because boyfriends come and go but fathers are forever whether you like them or not). He's the master concealer and is always doing something behind the scenes. He's played a huge role in how Syd became Syd and how she got to this current phase in her life.
4. Vaughn - The boyfriend is important. He has an established relationship with the main character that outranks the sister's relationship. He's been in the spotlight this season and now has a connection with Cloane (given that Cloane sent him on a wild goose chase regarding his dad).
5. Marshall - I think Marshall's an important character because he's the reason that the main character can do her job. He saved her life this season and was also looking out for her father. Though his part may be small at times, he's key to the success of the characters and provides much-needed lightheartedness and compassion at times.
6. Nadia - Because she's new and the show has survived so long without her, I don't see her as being that essential to it. I believe that her level of importance may change depending on the finale, but right now, I don't see her providing much other than showing Syd's "un-spy" life and allowing Sloane to play the concerned father.
7. Weiss - He's slightly above Dixon because he's with Nadia and is Vaughn's best friend.
8. Dixon - The writers seriously need to find a way to connect Dixon with everything that's going on. It always seems that he's left out in the cold. I find it offensive to Carl Lumbly because he's a great actor and he hardly ever gets to shine.

1. Syd--definitely a no brainer!
2. Jack--and not only b/c I am biased, but b/c he is huge and one incredible actor. He adds amazing depth to the show!
3. Vaughn--not even a shipper mind you, but I think he is vital b/c of viewers. If we lost Vaughn we would lose a lot of hopeless romantics who's favorite aspect of the show is the Syd/Vaughn dynamic.
4. Sloane is the big baddie...though if he left I would say bring McKennas Cole back...he was an awesome bad guy and hilarious! :lol:
5. Marshall--who would our gadget geek genius comic relief guy be? Marshall is irreplaceable and so endearing.
6. Dixon--though his role is diminished this season, I still feel he is a huge asset to the show. The history he and Syd share, he & Sloane share, his relationship with Syd are all cool dynamics of the show and it would be lacking (is somewhat lacking)without them!
7. Nadia--they are beginning to work her in a lot more, but at this point I don't think she has been weaved that deeply into the tapestry that is Alias. I enjoy her, but if she died in the whole prophecy deal, I think Alias could recover w/o a hitch. Now Syd's recovery, that would be a different thing! Poor Syd! :rolleyes:
8. Weiss--I love this guy and would hate to see him go....he is a good friend and loveable, but IMO the least integral character at this point!

Cool thought provoking thread!!! Hope we don't have to see anyone go though! (n)

1. Syd- Such a no brainer! We couldn't have Alias without her.

2. Jack- I love the dynamic that he and Sydney share...plus there is so much we don't know about his agenda and past. And you just can't have it without Spydaddy...he may not have been the best dad, but he has really come through for Syd...sometimes.

3. Sloane- He's creepy, and adds so much to the storyline...plus no one can ever be to sure to what he's up to. I don't think we've even begun to see exactly his agenda.

4. Vaughn- He's played such an important part in Syd's life, that you couldn't just get rid of him. Their relationship has progressed over the years and now they are in a very comfortable (if not really odd, at times) relationship. They love each other. Plus I can only think that Vaughn will add more and more to the storyline.

5. Marshall- I love Marshall...and the show would lose so much without him. He brings comedy to the show, even when it's getting bogged down with some seriously heavy stuff. You wouldn't be able to have a better tech guy...ever!

6. Weiss- I also love Weiss...he's so funny. Plus he's just always been their for his friends. He's the one who encouraged Vaughn to actually pursue his relationship with Sydney, and in season 3 he was really there for Syd when she needed someone more than ever. I just really like his character.

7. Dixon- I've always loved Dixon. I do agree that they need to find better ways to include him in the plot lines. He's not getting much air time. But I just can't imagine the show without him...we've had him since day 1...he's awesome.

8. Nadia- Well, my opinion is biased...of course, because I don't like her. She's the only character on the list who hasn't been there since season one, and although her plot lines are relatively important this season, I think the show could definitely go on without her. I haven't liked her at all since she was introduced, so the show wouldn't lose anything, in my opinion, if they were to get rid of her. And if the Rambaldi battle does play out, it's either going to be her or Syd...and I think everyone would rather it be her ;)

Great topic! (y)

1.Syd - simple
2.Jack - I love the relationship he and Syd have, he always gets results .. whatever way he goes about it.
3.Sloane - He is the big bad of the show, and Ron Rifkin is amaizing at playing him.
4.Marshall- I put Marshall higher than Vaughn because he is important to the missions with his gagets and because hes the comic relief of the show.
5.Vaughn - I liked Vaughn for season 1/2 and then he just bored me with the whole Lauren thing in season 3, as for season 4 .. I havent seen much Syd/Vaugh action so far.
6.Nadia- She seems pretty important to the whole rambaldi thing, but I dont like her that much.
7.Weiss- We dont get enough of Weiss- which is a shame because I love the character.
8.Dixon- They could do so much with Dixon and Sloane but they dont, Id like to know more about Dixon's past and more about his partner ship with Syd because they work well together

Syd- Who doesn't love her?
Jack- I don't know what we would do if he died.
Sloane- Of course. Main bad guy.
Weiss- Even though she has a boy friend, Syd really needs a friend.
Vaughn- Now that he is back with Syd I like him better.
Marshall- Halarious!
Dixon- Good guy, even though he can get a little bitter towards Sloane.
Nadia- I dunno. I guess that she's okay. lol

1.) Sydney Bristow- Come on! Without Sydney, there's no show!

2.) Jack Bristow- To me, the show is mostly about Sydney and Jack's father/daughter bond, and how screwed up things are between them. Jack just adds SOOOO much to the show.

3.) Arvin Sloane- Sloane is the guy you love to hate! The master bad guy! One of the main reasons I watch the show is just to see the day when Sydney takes him down.

4.) Michael Vaughn- He's Syd's soulmate. They're perfect for each other, and without him, Sydney would fall apart. That's one of the reasons season 3 didn't do so well -_- However, this season, there is no chemistry between them, and it feels like their relationship isn't going anywhere.

5.) Nadia Santos- I love Nadia! I think she is a great addition to the show, and that's because I think she will teach Sydney a lot. Now, Sydney gets to be the protective sister, and experience all the jazz.

6.) Marshall Flinkman- Marshall rocks! He's the comedy relief, and everybody loves Marshall! Plus, without him, 99.9% of the missions would be a failure.

7.) Marcus Dixon- He's Sydney loyal partner and best friend. One of the reasons season 1 and 2 were so good was that she had to keep secrets from him, and when he found out, it was just an emmy moment.

8.) Eric Weiss- He's also the comedy relief of the show, one of Syd's best friend, Vaughn's best friend, and Nadia's boyfriend. I love Weiss, but he plays no major role in the show, and I have a feeling that he will be leaving. :(

I'm doing this w/o looking at everybody else's so if I repeat comments that's why.

I think my ranking is a reflection of what questions I'm most interested in seeing Alias answer rather than which characters have up to this point played the most central role in the show.

1. Syd - obvious reasons

2. Jack - he's too central to all the Alias plots to let go; he's also the show's best developed, most complex character. Through Jack we see that things are rarely black and white and that good intentions and bad deeds and bad intentions and good deeds can be mixed together. He also has the most potential for continued development; his secrets are undending, and can all be related back to the central point if the writers want.

3. Marshall - this may seem like an odd third choice, but he provides the show's most consistent dose of humor, and I think that's crucial to keep it from becoming too melodramatic. Everybody else besides these three characters could be replaced, but Marshall is too unique. Any replacement would seem like a poor attempt next to him!

4. Nadia - again, perhaps an odd fourth choice . . . I kind of struggled putting her ahead of Vaughn because there's so much more emotional investment in Vaughn. But Nadia, Irina, and Syd are all tied together by the Prophecy, and I suspect by Irina's (supposed) attempt to have Sydney assassinated. The show has raised too many questions along these lines to let the swirling secrets about Syd's family just disappear. That's the only consistent story arc - Rambaldi is more of a catalyst to the family intrique.

5. Vaughn - I was torn between putting him or Nadia #4, because the S/V romance has been so crucial to the show up to this point, and I'm such a shipper. That being said, as much as I don't want it to be true, given the lack of V/S onscreen chemestry, I think they could introduce a new love interest for Syd and actually give the show a shot in the arm. Like even Sark. :D As much as I really like the S/v romance, a new love interest would not kill the main story lines. Getting rid of Nadia wouldn't necessarily kill the main story lines but it would definitely make the writers lose credibility because otherwise it would be like "what was the point?"

6. Sloane - he was gone for awhile and the show was okay, but does prove extremely useful for plot points. Probably more important than Vaughn honestly . . . :(

7. Weiss - again, the humor!!! If I was ranking my favorite characters he'd be far higher!!

8. Dixon - I like him, and he provides a seasoned field officer to these young cubs who love bucking the rules, but he does little to further any plots.

Now in order of my favorite characters:
Syd, Vaughn, Marshall, Jack, Weiss, Dixon, Sloane, Nadia

ok so obviously Sydney is first. There would be no show without her.
1) Syd
2)Jack
3)Vaughn
4) Sloane
5)Nadia
6)Marshall
7)Dixon
8)Weiss

Out of the regulars I think those 8 that si the order iw ould choose but I believe that Irina plays a very key role in tehwhole Alias plot even though she probably isn't condsidered a regular (y)

1.Syd & Jack-Of course duh on Syd, but I think Jack is equally important. I can't even begin to imagine a spy world without Jack. They better cure him quickly!!
3.Sloane-The villian you love to hate
4.Vaughn-*sigh* So dreamy
5.Dixon-He shares that part of us, and Syd, that loathes Sloane. He continues to remind us that Sloane can never be trusted. And c'mon! The show just wouldn't be the same without him.
6.Marshall-The show wouldn't be the same without him either.
7.Nadia-I don't think she would be missed very much. (Except by the male viewers :P ) I would rather have Irina back. Nadia could be involved off screen like Irina was in S3
8.Weiss-I wish Weiss was more important b/c he's funny. But even as Nadia's boyfriend he still doesn't seem important. There is NO chemistry between those two

1) Syd- Self-explanitory.
2) Jack- Like some have said, such a complex character that is very important in the development of the plot in the series I believe.
3) Sloane - Again, very important to plot design and progression. Hate him one episode, feel bad for him the next...Love it!!
4) Dixon- I wish they would use him more...a lot of potential to take the show in more interesting turns using him.
5) Vaughn- If not for the relationship with Syd, just would be another agent like my number 7.
6) Nadia- Again, a lot of potential to be more important.
7) Weiss- I like him a lot too but very minor when it comes to progression of the series imo.

Back