Season 5 Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamison

Cadet
I know I don't watch Alias anymore, but I noticed that there wasn't a topic for this (and I always check the ratings anyways).

So here are the ratings for last night's episode.

CBS, Then Everybody Else on Thursday

Fast National ratings for Thursday, Oct. 20, 2005

The story -- CBS beating up on its rivals -- remained the same in Thursday's ratings. Only the numbers changed.

CBS averaged a 13.7 rating/22 share for the night, more than the combined total of second-place NBC, 7.4/12, and No. 3 ABC, 4.2/7. The WB managed to grab fourth with a 3.2/5, beating UPN's 2.2/3. FOX, airing fill-in programming on a night it hoped to have playoff baseball, trailed with a 1.8/3.

Among adults 18-49, CBS led the field with a not-quite-as-dominant 7.2 rating. NBC, 4.8, was second in the demographic. The WB snagged third with a 2.2, followed by ABC, 2.0; UPN, 1.4; and FOX, 1.0.

CBS led off with "Survivor: Guatemala," which scored a 10.5/17 at 8 p.m. "Joey, 5.4/9, and "Will & Grace," 5.7/9, put NBC in second. "Alias" averaged 4.8/8 for ABC, and The WB's "Smallville" turned in a solid 3.8/6 for The WB. UPN's "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Love, Inc." finished fifth, beating a repeat of "Reunion" on FOX.

"CSI" destroyed its competition at 9 p.m., posting a 17.3/26. NBC was a distant second with "The Apprentice," 7.0/11. ABC hung onto third despite getting only a 3.3/5 from "Night Stalker." "Everwood," 2.6/4, was fourth for The WB. A second hour of "Reunion" on FOX tied for fifth with UPN's "Eve" and "Cuts."

At 10 p.m., "Without a Trace" completed the CBS sweep with a 13.5/22. NBC's "ER" perked up a bit with the addition of John Leguizamo to the cast, averaging 9.7/15. "Primetime" came in at 4.5/7 for ABC.

I thought it was kind of interesting that the ratings are pretty much identical to last week's...which many people contributed to baseball. There wasn't any baseball on last night.

Again: normal for Alias this year....

I've been hearing though that Alias is up like 20-something percent from Extreme Makeover last year. So that's at least good.

-Yesterday’s Losers:
Joey (NBC), Alias (ABC) , Reunion R (Fox), Love, Inc. (UPN), Night Stalker (ABC), Eve (UPN), Cuts (UPN), Primetime Thursday (ABC)

Thursday remains problematic for ABC despite the arrivals of Alias and Night Stalker. Alias opened with a 5.5/ 8 in the overnights (#3), 6.81 million viewers (#3) and a 2.2/ 6 among adults 18-49 (#4) at 8 p.m.

No. This is NOT typical of Alias this time of the year. Last year, episode four had something like 13 million viewers (though a Lost lead-in). These are some of the lowest numbers for Alias EVER. And I see ABC doing absolutely nothing to improve them. I guess that middle-aged women that made Alias once successful in the Adults 18-49 category stopped watching after their eye-candy left the show :(

No. This is NOT typical of Alias this time of the year. Last year, episode four had something like 13 million viewers (though a Lost lead-in). These are some of the lowest numbers for Alias EVER. And I see ABC doing absolutely nothing to improve them. I guess that middle-aged women that made Alias once successful in the Adults 18-49 category stopped watching after their eye-candy left the show :(

Have you seen the ratings for this season? Comparing it to last season where we had incredible hype, a great timeslot, and a humongous lead-in won't help. Face it. This year we have early timeslot, tough competition, lack of advertisement, a large number of fans leaving with Vartan, etc. The entire season it has been this low. I guess we just have deal with it.....ABC is.

As terrible as these numbers are for television in general, we're talking about Thursday nights on ABC. They weren't doing any hotter before Alias came along. So while they're incredibly low by....OUR standards, ABC controls whether our show gets the axe or not. So far, they don't seem to be too concerned. I guess we shouldn't be either.

I thought it was kind of interesting that the ratings are pretty much identical to last week's...which many people contributed to baseball. There wasn't any baseball on last night.

But Survivor was still on. No matter what anyone says CBS has Thursday locked down. The ratings for many of the 8pm shows were similar to last week. This is what we should expect when you move the show to the night which has two of the most watched programs in the country on back to back.

ETA I find it ironic that many of the people who bring up the ratings (or lack thereof) knew/thought this would be the case when the move to Thursday was first announced. At least in this thread.

allalias.com -&nbspallalias Resources and Information.

But that was before the "event" of this season. ;)

-Yesterday’s Losers:
Joey (NBC), Alias (ABC) , Reunion R (Fox), Love, Inc. (UPN), Night Stalker (ABC), Eve (UPN), Cuts (UPN), Primetime Thursday (ABC)

Thursday remains problematic for ABC despite the arrivals of Alias and Night Stalker. Alias opened with a 5.5/ 8 in the overnights (#3), 6.81 million viewers (#3) and a 2.2/ 6 among adults 18-49 (#4) at 8 p.m.

Wow, could you be anymore condescending? Granted, I'm one of those who have stopped watching, but to say it is solely because of "the eye candy" aspect is truthfully insulting.

After watching the premiere, granted my interest had waned, but I actually tuned in for the following episode because I was visiting with a group of friends for a long weekend and they wanted to watch. I fell asleep. I've watched this show since the pilot and have loved it the entire time. Season 3 had it's bad points, but all in all it was still a great show.

This season though is not. The dynamics of the characters is just off. One of the most enjoyable aspects to me was the balance of chemistry between all the characters especially Sydney. Sydney despite all she had been through always retained a softness about her, she was a "normal woman" in an abnormal world. I'm not saying that she shouldn't grow and mature, of course she should, but this year after having her second fiancée killed while she is pregnant with his child she has in my opinion become an automotron. She recklessly goes on missions while pregnant, she barely shows any emotion. I realize that "Alias" is about as far from realistic as you can get, but having a woman 6-7 months pregnant endangering her child on a weekly basis to me as a mother is just sickening.

The other characters I feel have also suffered this season. All Jack needs is a pretty pink tutu and a wand, because he is obviously this years chosen "exposition fairy". What a disservice to an incredibly strong and complex character. Sloane is at this point a caricature of his former self. How often are they going with the I'm good, I'm bad, no I'm just misunderstood garbage. Frankly, it's become tiresome. What a sad tribute to a character that was once one of the best bad guys on TV. Dixon and Marshell are well, Dixon and Marshall. Thay don't grow as characters, they're just stagnant. The new characters from the little I've seem are pale comparisons in both characterization and acting compared to the older cast members. The only new character that sparked any of my interest is Rene, but from what I can understand she hasn't been around much.

Now to the whole Vaughn situation. Truthfully I do think it was a mistake to get rid of him. After rewatching season 1&2, I realized that besides being Sydney's rock, he was also the character that brought a hint of normality into her life, he was the normal guy thrust into extraordinary circumstances all because of his love for Sydney. He gave the show heart, and that made a big difference. Sydney no longer has the hope she was had for a "normal life", and that was a huge part of her appeal. Also, Vaughn was the "hero", "the white knight", and every fairytale needs that, and "Alias" is nothing if not a fairytale.

This show is sorely lacking both in writing and heart. When I say heart, I mean there is not enough depth to get emotionally invested in any of the plots or characters. That and the reasons that I have stated above is why I no longer watch my favorite show.

But Survivor was still on. No matter what anyone says CBS has Thursday locked down. The ratings for many of the 8pm shows were similar to last week. This is what we should expect when you move the show to the night which has two of the most watched programs in the country on back to back.

I agree. Alias should probably expect to hover around the 7 million viewer range. Not the type of ratings we'd like to have, but as has been said before, better than anything ABC has had on Thursday nights in a very long time. All in all, if ABC expects this to be the last season of the show, then the ratings aren't a huge concern anyway.

I'm just glad that this season has been building a wonderful story arc for us. I think it's even starting off better than season 4. Also? Love the fact that Sydney has really been front and center this year. That's the way it should be.

Wow, could you be anymore condescending? Granted, I'm one of those who have stopped watching, but to say it is solely because of "the eye candy" aspect is truthfully insulting.

After watching the premiere, granted my interest had waned, but I actually tuned in for the following episode because I was visiting with a group of friends for a long weekend and they wanted to watch. I fell asleep. I've watched this show since the pilot and have loved it the entire time. Season 3 had it's bad points, but all in all it was still a great show.

This season though is not. The dynamics of the characters is just off. One of the most enjoyable aspects to me was the balance of chemistry between all the characters especially Sydney. Sydney despite all she had been through always retained a softness about her, she was a "normal woman" in an abnormal world. I'm not saying that she shouldn't grow and mature, of course she should, but this year after having her second fiancée killed while she is pregnant with his child she has in my opinion become an automotron. She recklessly goes on missions while pregnant, she barely shows any emotion. I realize that "Alias" is about as far from realistic as you can get, but having a woman 6-7 months pregnant endangering her child on a weekly basis to me as a mother is just sickening.

The other characters I feel have also suffered this season. All Jack needs is a pretty pink tutu and a wand, because he is obviously this years chosen "exposition fairy". What a disservice to an incredibly strong and complex character. Sloane is at this point a caricature of his former self. How often are they going with the I'm good, I'm bad, no I'm just misunderstood garbage. Frankly, it's become tiresome. What a sad tribute to a character that was once one of the best bad guys on TV. Dixon and Marshell are well, Dixon and Marshall. Thay don't grow as characters, they're just stagnant. The new characters from the little I've seem are pale comparisons in both characterization and acting compared to the older cast members. The only new character that sparked any of my interest is Rene, but from what I can understand she hasn't been around much.

Now to the whole Vaughn situation. Truthfully I do think it was a mistake to get rid of him. After rewatching season 1&2, I realized that besides being Sydney's rock, he was also the character that brought a hint of normality into her life, he was the normal guy thrust into extraordinary circumstances all because of his love for Sydney. He gave the show heart, and that made a big difference. Sydney no longer has the hope she was had for a "normal life", and that was a huge part of her appeal. Also, Vaughn was the "hero", "the white knight", and every fairytale needs that, and "Alias" is nothing if not a fairytale.

This show is sorely lacking both in writing and heart. When I say heart, I mean there is not enough depth to get emotionally invested in any of the plots or characters. That and the reasons that I have stated above is why I no longer watch my favorite show.

While, I respect that you are entitled to your opinion, your opinion was based off 2 episodes, then you stopped watching. So when you say that "this season" is off, I find it kind of weird that you're basing your opinions of the season off two episodes. So, I think to you it's the fact that you didn't appreciate the first two episodes and have classified the season as a failure.

I mean, that is TOTALLY fine if you aren't watching because you were sorely let down by those two episodes. But you really can't judge a book by it's first two pages.

Tenderbear, why have I had to post a lecture the past few ratings threads, and solely because of you?

Get a clue. Now. Or, take a vacation. It's your choice, and my patience is now nil. Got it?

While, I respect that you are entitled to your opinion, your opinion was based off 2 episodes, then you stopped watching. So when you say that "this season" is off, I find it kind of weird that you're basing your opinions of the season off two episodes. So, I think to you it's the fact that you didn't appreciate the first two episodes and have classified the season as a failure.

I mean, that is TOTALLY fine if you aren't watching because you were sorely let down by those two episodes. But you really can't judge a book by it's first two pages.

Oh but I can. I am not watching, but I have read the transcripts and have been reading Erin's recaps at TWOP hoping to actually see something that might prove me wrong. So far nada. They even messed up Weiss's exit. Here is a guy who was always the trueblue friend, the go to guy when the other characters needed support. They have him leave to take a job across the country when his girlfriend is in a coma, and his best friend was just murdered leaving behind a pregnant fiancée who just happens to be his other best friend. Who the hell is this guy? He sure isn't the Weiss we grew to love. I know, it was a job for the President. Please, they could have done a much better exit for GG. I'm thrilled he got his own show, but his leaving should have been more than just a quick unimportant scene.

My biggest problem is that this is arguably the last season of "Alias". They should have used their remaining time to tie up the numerous loose ends which they have left hanging, some of which have been dangling since season 1. Instead they've tried once again to give us a do-over. I want the characters that I've spent four years invested in on the fore-front, not a bunch of newbies who no matter how you look at it are being put in place to take over. They might turn out to be great characters. Terrific. I just don't care. This isn't remotely the "Alias" I loved from the beginning. I have no need to watch a cheap remake. Obviously from the ratings neither do a lot of other people.

The ratings are falling bit by bit every week. Last week the numbers were once again down albeit only by aproximately 220,00 from the previous week, but they are still going down. The overall viewership is now down to under 7,000,000, and they are steadily being beaten in the most important rating demo(18-49) by "Smallville", and even a couple of times by "Everyone Hates Chris" in that demo. Will the show be cancelled? I doubt it. They'll probably let it finish out the season, unless of course the ratings continue to tank. ABC has I think 7.5 or 8.5 hours of mid-season programming that they need to find places on their schedule for. If perchance they find a big hit among them and "Alias" is on their hiatus, ABC could very easily do what they did to "The Drew Carey Show" and not put it back on at all. Have them do a quick wrap-up and show it after May sweeps.

Okay, seriously, let's please not turn this into a who's-right-battle. Because really, there ISN'T a right and wrong answer. One side feels one way, the other differs. The difference is that those supposedly "positive" are feeling the urge to tell negative people how or what to think, whereas most negative are simply saying how THEY feel, and leave judgments out of it.

If those positive would simply follow suit and leave potshots out of their posts, I wouldn't have to keep lecturing. And really, that's one thing we all want.

boyscout4747 said:
You don't have to watch the show and again like I said, that's completely justified. But it's hard to classify something as a failure when you're expectations are set for how Alias used to be.

See how that contradicts? She's welcome to have any opinion on Alias, just like you are. Judging her fanship based on your opinions doesn't work, because everyone is different.

Just drop it. Please. Thank you. Last time I'll ask nicely.

tooboo I must say that i agree with EVERY word.

For me Alias is not the same from season four :( ...and its sad becouse i used to be a huge Alias fan since the first episode especially of Michael and Jennifer.

ETA I find it ironic that many of the people who bring up the ratings (or lack thereof) knew/thought this would be the case when the move to Thursday was first announced. At least in this thread.
allalias.com -&nbspallalias Resources and Information.
But that was before the "event" of this season. ;)

I was just pointing out the fact that many people in last week's ratings thread contributed the drop to the fact that baseball was on, and thought that they'd pick up this week. Obviously because the ratings are identical baseball wasn't the reason that the ratings were so low.

And I was one of the people who viewed this move as a mistake...I'm sure I'm one of the people in that thread that said that ratings would drop. And while I thought they'd drop anyways, I'm not sure I thought they'd drop this much. At least I didn't think Alias would lose my viewership.

I knew that Alias was going to lose MANY viewers.

And I knew that even when people already said that Alias was going to lose viewers, they were STILL going to react negatively about the ratings this year.

So I just stopped caring. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back