Season 5 React: Maternal Instinct

How would you rate "Maternal Instinct"?

• 5 - One of the best Alias episodes ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - It was great!

• 3 - It was good

• 2 - It was OK

• 1 - It was bad

• Total voters
I thought it was great!!!I love when Irina is with Syd & Jack. I hope & pray she is not evil and is only trying to protect Sydney. I am pressed to believe she is in cohoots with Vaughn, how else would he find out about his daughter when he is among monks? Even more, I felt that Syd thinks Irina had Vaughn killed?

LAST NIGHT'S EPPISODE WAS JUST LIKE THE OLD ALIAS I KNOW! Kudos to the producers and everyone for making it the way it's supposed to be...aloof and complicated!...I LOVE IT!

I know that Irina is good...however twisted it may sound...she has something up her sleeve! I have a BIG feeling that her and Jack are working together right now. I'm just really curious as to where this is all gonna go. Irina is the head of profit five...no doubt about it. When she said to Syd at the house that profit 5 was looking for the right person to head their program...she had a look in her eye that said THAT LEADER IS ME! Profit 5 wanted Irina because she and Syd were thought to have been (and Syd was) the woman in the drawing.

So yeah...they wanted Irina cuz of the direct link to Rambaldi. All of it takes time as Irina said...When Irina told Syd the truth (as to the reason she was born) it was Irina trying to be honest-it wasn't meant to hurt Syd, (even though it no doubt is hurtfull, and Irina no doubt knew that) but she also told Syd that she made a huge mistake, and you can tell that Irina does love Sydney and wants to help her.

I agree with you, in my heart of hearts Irina only came back to protect Sydney, this goes back to "the truth takes time" I think it will all tie back to Rambaldi, and Nadia is going to be a major player in the end. I think Irina only mission throughout the entire series was to protect Sydney at any means neccessary even if her daughter had to hate her.

OMG!!!!! that episode was amazing, totally worth the wait... Although I agree the irina is not to be trusted, everyone seems to have hidden agendas at the moment, I hope we find out all the answers.

....Vaughn??!!!!

Im so glad Syd had a healthy baby, and i freaking screamed when i saw Vaughn on the Tv screen!!! I can't wait till next week for Will to come back! :lol:

I know this comment will probably make everyone freak out, because everyone loved this episode. I however didn't really like it. I mean, it was OK. I expected it to be way better, maybe I just set my expectations too high. I liked it in general, I just didn't love it. I thought the whole birth thing was a little unrealistic though. Not because they weren't in a hospital or anything like that, but just because it was so quick. I don't know, I mean, of course they had to make it fit in the allowed time, but maybe after she started pushing or saying I wanna be with Vaughn on the beach they could've done a flashback, or maybe just gone to a different part of the episode to make it seem longer. I think the thing was, for me anyways, I just expected it to be bigger, and more, I don't know, more action I guess. I guess I just feel this way because in this 2 hour episode there was less action then there is in most 1 hour ones. Don't get me wrong, I liked the episode, I just think they could've done better. I am happy of course that Vaughn is alive, and that Syd had the baby. Also, I loved that Weiss came back, and that Marshall went on a mission. And, I always love Jack, so seeing him 'undercover' and in the CIA headquarters, being Jack was great. I do agree, Syd and Jack were way too trusting however. The whole Tom thing was a little weird though. And, Dixon's braids were bothering me, lol. All in all, the episode was good, but not great for me. I just hope that next week's is better, which I'm sure it will be.

To touch on a few points that many people have been making...

1. Sydney was probably in actual labor for a lot longer than we saw. I think she was in the building actually in visible labor for maybe an hour, but she's Sydney, right? She was probably having contractions and just ignored them for a while? Right? No? Being a guy, I guess I can't say for certain. But what I can say for certain...

2. The entire giving-birth scene really was beautiful in many ways. Not only was Jennifer Garner at her acting best during this part, but Sydney became such a real person again. She was vulnerable. She wanted Vaughn. She wanted a mother. Also, the complicated relationship between Sydney and Irina became more grounded, realistic, and just terribly touching. Irina regretted choosing her life as a spy over her life as a mother but still loved Sydney enough to deliver her baby. Probably the best exchange of dialogue on Alias since some Season 2 moments happened here. I specifically remember Irina telling Sydney something along the lines of how you can't be both a spy and a mother. And Sydney, sitting there exhausted, sweaty, angry, scared, and crushed all at the same time is able to grit her teeth and respond "Watch me." Just magic. PURE MAGIC.

3. Aren't you all forgetting the last time Jack and Sydney saw Irina?! She HELPED them is Svogda (sp?) where they took down Katya and saved the city from the giant Rambaldi ball. They let her go because the CIA would have taken her into custody otherwise. They thought that she WAS good and could help them find the Horizon. I didn't find it unrealistic that they trusted her so quickly in this episode considering the terms they were on the last time they saw her.

4. This episode was so full of action considering Jennifer Garner was not able to do any stunts yet (I believe she had already given birth to the actual baby, but it would have been preposterous for Sydney to fight with an about-to-pop pregnant belly.). It really was heart stopping... Renee driving that guy on the hood of the car, Jack barging into the CIA meeting and shooting one of the alpha-black members, Irina stopping the ambulance and killing the CIA agent, the aliased mission at the bank (which was more clever and intriguing than action-packed, but hey), Peyton shooting the helicopter, Irina and Jack fighting each other off, Jack and Peyton trying to kill each other... I mean, the episode was FILLED with action.

5. Dixon's braids... yeah... not sure what's up with that...

Loved every second. Best episode EVER.

Jennifer Garner is an amazing actress who deserves an Emmy.
I cried so much when she was giving birth :cry: She was phenominal... and having Jack there was awesome!!

VAUGHN'S ALIVE. I knew it. There's no way they'd kill him off. But what's with the Buddhist Monestary :confused: Its a bit too much 'Sloane;Season 2'. Sorta creepy...

omg jennifer garner was soooo good ahhhh.
it seemed so real and it was so saddd :(
i was literally crying. wow. and where is vaughn? and does she know he is alive. cause she said to jack..."dad" and he said "i know."
and then u see the messenger going to tell him. i think she knows hes alive. that's my theory :smiley:
srry lol.
if anyone knows where i can watch the episode again please tell me. kk thanks

Overall I thought this episode was really good but they wasted way too much time on Tom & Rachel. I never was interested in those 2 and with only 6 episodes I'm suprised they are starting a storyline with those two.

On the plus side...loved the moments at the end between Jack & Syd during the delivery and on the plane. It's great how they seemed to have planned Vaughn's "death". It was good to see Lena Olin even though it seems Irina is really evil.

In reading this thread, I'm surprised to see how many people didn't know Vaughn was alive. Even if you were trying to be spoiler free, there were the promos from ABC that came out and said he never died and in the latest TV Guide they also said he wasn't dead.

I have one big complaint about the episode...after ABC promoting Michael Vartan's return to the show we see him for maybe 20 seconds at the end of the episode?!? I think he's in at least 4 more episodes and I really hope we see more of him then we did last night.

Wow, there is a lot of critism about Irina :blink: . Everyone keeps saying how they don't like how she is bad, but even she is, she always has Sydney's best interest at heart. I think some people are taking that whole speech about her being an agent before a mother the wrong way. When I heard it I was like,"IRINA, WHY ARE YOU TELLING YOUR DAUGHTER THIS," but she said that she stilled loved Sydney and always would. She would never hurt her because no matter what she is still her mother :love:. Like, how weird would it be if Irina all of a sudden becasue this loving, trusting, role model type person? There would be no mystery to her anymore, which is what makes her such an amazing and interesting character. You just don't know what is going through her mind. I mean, that's why I love her... When Sydney had her baby I swear to god Jennifer Garner better get an emmy for that; she did such a good job. I think for that whole 2 hours I probably was actually seated for only about 30 minutes. The rest of the time I was on my feet. Like at the end everyone knew that Vaughn was coming, and me and my two friends were all on our feet, with our faces about 2 inches from the screen, and we all like jumped and sceamed. I'm just so happy that all of these amazing characters are coming back. I wished I would have taped the episode because I really really want to watch it right now. It's killing me. I have to reveiw everything that happened :D!

~Andrea :angelic:

[
quote name='aliasgurl_05' date='Apr 19 2006, 07:27 PM' post='1617009']
omg, that was an amazing episode. I'll be honest and say that after season 4 (which i didn't think was that great) and the death of Vaughn (or so i thought), i almost gave up on Alias. I was ready to just quit, and then bamm!!! one of the best episodes ever. I can't wait for next weeks ep. I practically jumped up for joy when i saw vaughn's face. And the moment when syd was giving birth was so sweet, and i almost cried. After seeing the previews for next week, with all those familiar faces, it's really going to be a bitter-sweet end to the show, but i have faith it'll be the best last 5 eps ever.

I totally agree! The last few episodes I was a little dissappointed in but now I feel like it is going on the right track! And Yeah Will! I love him. My husband thinks that he needs to end up with Sydney! yeah right! :rolleyes:

If you read my story here "Beyond the Horizon" I predicted the parents would deliver Sydney's baby as well as Vaughn being alive. After the episode where they held the funeral, there was too much going on between Jack and Sydney. And before that in the hospital when he was supposed to be dead, that 'look' passed between father and daughter. :angelic:
This was my favorite episode :bounces: simply because we saw the family in action again together. There is so much heat between Mom and Dad (Lena and Victor) that the screen fairly sizzles :woot: , even when they are at odds with one another.

Fabulous episode.

;)

WOW.... this is the Alias that I know and love - 'where have you been?!' Anywho - I have to say as much as i'm trying to like the newbies, i feel like their characters are so transparent by no fault of their own. You totally knew agent Grace was up to something, and Rachel seems to still not be able to think for herself, i liked her when she had Syd in her ear and was being a bit independant. I'm still not so keen on Arvin Slone, i will never trust him, he will always be out for himself, much like Irina, which makes them exciting and predictable characters, yet at the same time keeping us all guessing as to how ecactly they plan to go about manipulating everyone else.
I loved marshall and dixon in the bank - that was great and marshall getting the puzzle - classic marshall! Ohhh! And perhaps one of the great hilights of the epp. was seeing Weiss again!!! I love Weiss - especially when he came to help them out "next time, just call"
So exciting to see the baby; however i was really perplexed by that whole scene... an honestly now, when irina showed up at Syd's house, did anyone honestly believe that she was there for anything sincere? of course not, she works for herself, Sydney is always an afterthought for her - however she does always seem to something somewhat human after she gets what she wants, so i liked that she called marshall - very irina. I love Jack - so ruthless and he knows the game, he won't let people screw with him or sydney.
- -Vaughn is BACK! ... wow, i have to say i was starting to believe that he was really gone and as much as it sucked, the story moved on, but that moment of syd having the baby erased all of that and i just wanted her to have him alive with her... wow, i think i saw that comming (that he was still alive) it ought to be interesting to see how they tie this all together...
OOH!! AND.... holy cow - next week looks AMAZING - the old gang is all back - i'm sooo excited!
*beep breath* - -for now...
~ Mountaineer0414

I thought that this episode was simply amazing. The whole Irina/Syd conversation in the end was heartrending and filled with I'm guessing so many clues that we won't know about until the end of the show. I just really want to know the final solution. But I can wait seeing as they are giving us Will and other various returning characters in the interim. I really am so pleased and thrilled that the people involved in this show have given it the most amazing ending they could. This show has been such a major part of my life and I am so happy to see it end on top. GO ALIAS!

I'm so disappointed. I thought that episode - like the whole season, really - was total rubbish. Maybe it's because I just finished watching season one again, which is totally brilliant. The writing and script are lame as, if you ask me. And I don't know how everyone could have 'known' that Vaughn was still alive from things in earlier episodes... Given that (from what I can gather, at least, from watching an interview with JJ on tv.com) the original plan of the producers was to keep him dead (which would have made just that little bit more sense), and the decision to bring him back was made reasonably late on during the production as the result of all the hissy fits that everyone threw, and also because they found out that the show was wrapping up (i.e. I don't think Vartan would have agreed if it meant that he had to do a couple more seasons, rather than just a handful of episodes). I'm disappointed by the situation with Irina; to me it just seems like a cop out - perhaps the producers had more in mind for her, but then found out that they had to finish up so had to wrap it up quickly.... Although JJ has always said that they treat every season like the last one during production...

Does anyone else have a problem with how quick and easy Syd's delivery was? What the...? One push and she was out! Although I guess I was kind of happy as I wasn't really up for seeing Syd go through a really traumatic and painful birth...

I do have to say, though, that I like the whole Bhutan thing... Maybe that's just because I like Bhutan! And I found Thomas, Rachel and Renee much more bearable in this episode - it's hard to pin point why, though.

I almost wish that I wasn't so hooked on the earlier seasons, just so I couldn't be so disappointed by this one.

hmm....the whole irina saying the truth takes time and things arent simple...is really getting to me.

i was thinking...maybe she is working w/ the bad guys to get to the thing first and help end everything. maybe this thing is anohter rambaldi prophecy thing that hasnt been uncovered yet and could harm syd. and the only way to get to it is by staying w/ the bad guys. the only thing i cant fig out is y she doesnt just tell syd abt it....for that all i can think is perhaps to stop this device she has to sacrifice herself and doesnt think syd wud let her do that? any thoughts guys?

i cant wait for more eps...and at the same time sad that the more eps we see means the less eps we have left:(

I so agree. I ve thought from the beginning that Irina is working with the bad guys to save Sydney and the baby. Maybe she has to leave Sydney in the dark to protect her from the device. Maybe the scenario is that Sydney has to give her life to save her baby, and Irina is trying to find a way around it before Sydney finds out and is willing to give herself up for her baby. I mean, how sweet a storyline would that be. Irina is trying to save her grandaughter and daughter. It would be a good one. I just hope that in the end Irina is trying to help Syd and Jack. Otherwise i will be a little p*ssed.

I thought this episode (the two hour event) was awesome ... (y) (y)

why the heck do they trust Irina? that woman is evil ... and she betrayed them again ... she is NOT to be trusted ... come on people ... Irina plays everybody so she get to HER end-game ...

and Sloane? why did he go to Rachel to do the dirty job? because he knew Rachel wouldn't ask a question or question his intentions ... but we all know he is the mole in APO ... something has to be done to this evil man ... and soon ...

at the end, Vaughn is alive ... so good ... but some people say that Syd knows ... and that the messenger was sent by Jack ... if it were so ... why would Vaughn be like tight up ... you know ... he would just be sitting around having some coffee and not be tight up the way he was ... so I am not sure Syd knows he is alive ... ;)

just a little info about Bhutan: it is a landlocked South Asian nation between India and and the People's republic of China... Bhutan is one of the most isolated nations in the world (which would explain why it would be the place that Jack and Sydney chose to hide him out for his recuperation and safety overall). I'd also like to point out that Irina didn't seem ... to really believe Sydney when she was saying that vaughn was dead.. like she knew... as for everyone's complaints about the birth... not all women have these long drawn out birthing processes. clearly sydney was in labor for awhile before she actually delivered. but i agree that i loved seeing her so vulnerable and real. and when she hadn't the strength to go it alone - it was Jack that came to her rescue and calmed her. anyway... about the birth again - my friend had a baby last year and she went to the hospital at the last minute and one push was all it took to get that baby OUT. so, i didn't have a problem with the realistic nature of that part of the episode. anyway... i'm not sure that we'll SEE vaughn next ep - but according to spoiler info we'll hear about him... so hopefully the last 4 eps after that will all include more Vartan action. because mmm.... mmm... good! he's yummy Ü

Back