Season 5 React: Out of the Box

What would you rate "Out of the Box"?

• 5 - One of the best Alias episodes ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - It was great!

• 3 - It was good

• 2 - It was OK

• 1 - It was bad

• Total voters
Very good. (y)

This episode is still moving the new season well. The pacing was good - hard for us to comment on the play-by-play!

More for Sloane to do. (y) I still think that Sloane wants to be good, but he is being forced by circumstances to play a balancing act between Dean & the Prophet 5 people and Jack & his APO colleagues in order to find a cure for Nadia. It would be too simple for Sloane to be bad. Does anyone think that Dean could ever out-maneuver Arvin? Sloane is either using Dean, or he is playing both sides until he is forced to make a commitment.

We are consistently shown that Jack and Sloane respect each other and are friends deep down.

Jack hopes that Sloane is reformed, but is watching for unmistakable signs that Arvin has turned bad. Dixon suspects that Sloane isn't reformed, but is willing to wait for proof. It is significant on how Dixon said that at least having Sloane so close will enable them to keep a closer eye on him. Jack said 'That too!'

I like that Jack is suspicious of Renee, even though Sydney trusts her because Naughn did. I wonder if it is significant that Jack turned to Thomas to back Sydney up, rather than Dixon.

We see that Thomas Gibson has a bit of Rambo complex - lone wolf/one man army! It works so far.

It is fun to see Marshall and Rachel develop a tech-geek friendship as many of us wanted/expected. (y)

Syd was too eager to believe in Renee simply based on Naughn trusting her. She should have been more like Jack. ;)

I like how Renee was able to see Sydney's test proved that her Papa was Dr. Desantis. It seems like Renee is closer to Syd as a result.

Dr. Desantis wasn't very smart. I guess the freezing wrecked some of his brain cells! :lol:
As for why did DeSantis get tripped up, I see the episode indicated that the freezing had impaired his thinking. When he first got revived, he could hardly speak. Then he didn't remember who Renee was - we assume that he was made to look up Papa Rienne to get to Renee somehow. But he did remember to activate the beacon at the right time.

New conclusions and speculation after review of videotape.

Renee was more than just sick as a child. She was probably dieing. Papa Rienne/Goursaud answered an ad in the newspaper. The job was probably to find a cure for Dr. Desantis, a powerful and important man of Prophet 5 who is also dying from the same condition as Renee.

Papa devises a one-of-a-kind experimental cure. Dr. Desantis pays him a small fortune that Renee mentioned. But Papa pulls a double-cross and gives it to Renee. She is cured. Desantis is furious and wants Renee to study/extract her cure. Papa won't cooperate, so he is killed in the attempt to get him to talk. Desantis has Papa Rienne/Goursaud put into cyrochamber in case they need him to get Renee. The records on him is what APO recovers from San Francisco.

In the meantime, since Dr. Desantis can't duplicate the cure without young Renee, so he gets made into a double of Papa Rienne/Goursaud to trick the girl into revealing herself. That is why he takes the immunosupressive anti-rejection drug.

But his illness progresses so badly, he has to be put into the cryochamber for a future cure. 23 years later, Syd finds the cryochamber on the plane bound for North Korea. We now know Korth Korea is cooperating with Gordon Dean and Prophet 5. APO turns the cryochamber to DSR and they run the tests on the double that don't match the real Papa Rienne/Goursaud.

Renee mistakes him for Papa and steals the cryochamber. She steals Atrophine ZX from the US military base to revive him.

Dr. Desantis realises that Renee thinks that he is her father and plays along. Then he activated the beacon to be extracted without anyone seeing.

After he gets extracted Desantis tells Dean about Renee. She must still be valuable to Prophet 5 for the cure that resides in her body.

Does that sound right? 🕵

It seems brilliant enough to be what Alias intended. :grad:

Good episode in a good season! (y)

I voted that it was good.... I think I need to re-watch it because when I returned home from work -- it was late, I was tired, and I was distracted... :lol: *must watch again*

"she calls herself renee" WHO THE EFF IS SHE

aw damn it now im sucked back in!!!!!!

Renee's father's name is Gorseau - presumably then her true name is Gorseau as well, and Renee Rien is an alias. It's interesting to point out that "rien" means "nothing" in French.

Heh - yeah, this episode was a turning point for me, too. The brain transplant was stretching credibility a little bit, but we've had other things that have been even more out there, so I wasn't that bothered. I am a little afraid though that this return to weird body-switching schemes means that we are going to get Vaughn back in some freaky, weird way. I'm really getting into this season, MUCH more than I was into season 4, I like the new characters, I like the group dynamics, I'm liking the storylines.

I read awhile ago that JJ said he had this season more planned out than any other prior; I think we're seeing that. Far from being confused and going "Where the heck are they going with that?" I feel like we're getting answers to questions after only a few episodes - and those answers then give rise to more questions, so that we're being moved forward. YES!! That's how Alias is supposed to be!!!!

As for Sloane, did you notice that as he left Senator lewis he seemed to stumble a little, or have to lean on the railing - I took it as he was so appalled by what he did that he was having a hard time living with himself.

Also - who thinks Thomas Grace is Syd's half brother?????? Remember Jack's reaction when he saw his dossie back in ep 2 . . . and the shooting range scene . . . I'm really loving his character so far!

I was still half hoping that it was Vaughn in the box! O well, I hope that Slone is found to be evil yet again, and hie is finally gone for everything that he has done! Im still warming up to all the new ppl, cuz i miss the old gang so much! Tom is a little too much like Weiss for me, he needs his own character...
Heres to hoping for a mid season turnaround......

PS... now that i have my Season 4 DVD, i realize how much i miss that season, and episodes like Ice, Welcome to LIbery Village, and Before the Flood....

i thought it ws ok...but i really like Tom now

I think he's amazing. Dressing as one of those frenchies and blowin up that truck CLASSIC...i was just sittin there thinkin, "that's the alias i wanna see!"

I'm still hoping vaughn will be back...and i reallly wanna know whats goin on cuz i'm confused

Thomas is definitely growing on me I have to admit. I think his character is interesting partly because we know so little about him. He's also smart, mysterious, and really good looking which doesn't hurt either. :P

I agree!! He is starting to grow on me too..He's HOT! I thought he was good in last nights episode. I still miss Vaughn though.

I gave it a 3. It was good, but not enough action and the whole box thing had me confused!!!!! So, "she calls herself renee" ... but but but ... then who is he? He's descantes. but ... who is he related to her and what does he want with her?!?!
URGGGGGGG
~Danielle

*tom is really growing on me... 🤤* especially when he holds his gun... *sighs*

:thud:

what bugs me is this: is SLOANE really evil for good? i am really confused... he's evil. he's not evil. he redeemed himself... yadah yadah... its just one rollercoaster ride of being evil, not being evil... bugs me. totally. and is jack really that TRUSTING of SLOANE? i dont get it. i really dont. does he know something? :Ponder:

tsss...

and oh, great epi by the way. got me hooked all over again! :woot: cant wait for the next one!

i love this season and am into much more than seasons 3 & 4. I absolutely love the new characters and love the nystery involving renee dad and new "evil" sloane...im loving pregnant Sydney and Renee kicks a$$

I voted it was OK.... Usually after I see an eppy I can't wait to re-watch it....guess what, I didn't rewatch it (probably will this weekend). I don't know what it is, I guess I just miss the old Syd. This episode was kindof boring to me. Even Marshall is starting to bore me (never thought I'd say that).

I'm watching Season 1 on TNT and I just keep thinking how good that show was written and acted. Even seeing the eps over and over I still never get bored with them. Syd must have gone on 3 missions per ep disquised differently each time. I loved that about the first couple of seasons.

And before I go to bed I'm watching Season 2 and again never a dull minute. Even the music was great!

I voted it was OK.... Usually after I see an eppy I can't wait to re-watch it....guess what, I didn't rewatch it (probably will this weekend). I don't know what it is, I guess I just miss the old Syd. This episode was kindof boring to me. Even Marshall is starting to bore me (never thought I'd say that).

I'm watching Season 1 on TNT and I just keep thinking how good that show was written and acted. Even seeing the eps over and over I still never get bored with them. Syd must have gone on 3 missions per ep disquised differently each time. I loved that about the first couple of seasons.

And before I go to bed I'm watching Season 2 and again never a dull minute. Even the music was great!

OMG i was JUST thinking that last nite when i watched season1 on TNT she wore like three different outfits..now you'll be lucky if she wears one. i think season 2 was he best because i LLLOOOOOOOOVVVEE irina and i still rewatch pieces of episodes every day.....

tom i s okay but it seems as nobey really cares that vaughn is gone

i totally understand you too. at first everybody was hysterical and crying now most ppl like tom. i couldnt even make myself like tom bc i love vaughn soooooooooooooo much....

xO aRiaNNa

Arianna Vartan (lushowzlipz) on Myspace

I gave it a "2," but I probably should've given it a "3." It was just... not very good. Really average, ho-hum stuff here. It wasn't as bad as "The Road Home," but it was nothing like last week's heart-stopper. I really don't care about the dude in the box, Gordon Dean seems like a sissy, and Elodie? What's her deal? I don't really care about that either. Can't Syd just have her baby and we can get on with this show already? Geesh.

Let's hope for a good episode in two weeks ;)

i thought it was a great episode. as expected the storylines becoming more and more complicated.. i dont like gordon dean at all, hes such a felgercarb villian, compared to the past ones (Mckenas cole totally kicks his ass!) but i find it weird that hes got sloane working for him now. sloanes so evil, he never works for anyone else, guess his standards are dropping and hes getting so desperate for that cure. cant wait to see what else hell be up to soon :blink:

Well, I got the Alias season 4 DVDs yesterday and would watch them during commercials, so I missed alot. I have no idea why the doctor is important, could anyone fill me in? And when Sloane was going to get in to the limo I was screaming at the TV "Not Gordon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I don't want Sloane to work for the dude who killed Vaughn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to wait two weeks for a new episode.

I gave it a "2" - just ok:

The Good:
* Evil Sloane! Hooray!!
* Tom

The Bad:
* No Vaughn 🇳🇴 (still in shock)
* Dixon and Jack in the Office
* Rachel smarter than Marshall? WTF???
* The cheesy lines they gave Tom ("maybe they'll give up and go away")

The Boring:
* Rachel
* Renee
* Gordon Dean - did they forget how to write a baddie or something?
* SYD
* The episode overall

Also, the Preview made me so sad - they are really forcing the "new era" on us with Rachel dressing up like that. <_<

Back