Read any good books lately?

We're reading Ethan Frome in school and it's amazing. The story is kind of short, but some parts are just incredible. I love books where just one line, can completely overwhelm you.
"When the door of her room had closed o her he remembered that he had not even touched her hand." Ok so if you haven't read the story it doesn't make sense, but I recommend it!

Existentialist said:
Island of the Blue Dolphins!! I remember that book! I think I still have it somewhere... I loved it.

As for John Q... I saw it, and yeah, it was kind of a sleepy film.
ooo i have that book autographed!!! (i also have several really old first edition classics... how scary)

I (first) read Island of the Blue dolphins a LOONG time ago... like third grade I think? I loved it though, it was really good. I read Tuck Everlasting as well, and it did seem a little short, but I did like it better than the film. I think all books are better than their films. ;)

btvaughn said:
We're reading Ethan Frome in school and it's amazing. The story is kind of short, but some parts are just incredible. I love books where just one line, can completely overwhelm you.
"When the door of her room had closed o her he remembered that he had not even touched her hand." Ok so if you haven't read the story it doesn't make sense, but I recommend it!
i loved this book too!have you read the ending yet? wow when its revealed and you will know by it when you read it, its like wow and i was just in awe of what?!LOL! i love the sledding scene as well!great book!

okay i just finished eva moves teh furniture and am now reading The Devil Wears Prada, absolutely hilarous and reminds me of shopaholic series and the nanny diaries and all my vogue magazines rolled up in one!LOL! :lol:

Victoria King said:
btvaughn said:
We're reading Ethan Frome in school and it's amazing.  The story is kind of short, but some parts are just incredible.  I love books where just one line, can completely overwhelm you.
"When the door of her room had closed o her he remembered that he had not even touched her hand."  Ok so if you haven't read the story it doesn't make sense, but I recommend it!
i loved this book too!have you read the ending yet? wow when its revealed and you will know by it when you read it, its like wow and i was just in awe of what?!LOL! i love the sledding scene as well!great book!
We actually started reading the book on Friday and I finished it already! I had heard the ending was important and believe me I was quite surprised! And actually during the sledding, I was afraid I would cry if they actually hit the elm tree!

btvaughn said:
Victoria King said:
btvaughn said:
We're reading Ethan Frome in school and it's amazing.  The story is kind of short, but some parts are just incredible.  I love books where just one line, can completely overwhelm you.
"When the door of her room had closed o her he remembered that he had not even touched her hand."  Ok so if you haven't read the story it doesn't make sense, but I recommend it!
We actually started reading the book on Friday and I finished it already! I had heard the ending was important and believe me I was quite surprised! And actually during the sledding, I was afraid I would cry if they actually hit the elm tree!
i actaully did cry!LOL, and they did hit they elm just not head on which would have killed them but instead they ended up worse off which made me cry!i also read it for school and we had to do a project on it and i chose write a different ending(i figured i write fanfic why not stray to different characters!LOL!) and i had mattie die and then ethan go back to zeena where she knew everything and he was always under her eye!not as good but i liked how i wrote it out, she became nagging again and was sick!LOL!i loved torturing zeena!LOL!!!! :lol:

Victoria King said:
btvaughn said:
Victoria King said:
btvaughn said:
i actaully did cry!LOL, and they did hit they elm just not head on which would have killed them but instead they ended up worse off which made me cry!i also read it for school and we had to do a project on it and i chose write a different ending(i figured i write fanfic why not stray to different characters!LOL!) and i had mattie die and then ethan go back to zeena where she knew everything and he was always under her eye!not as good but i liked how i wrote it out, she became nagging again and was sick!LOL!i loved torturing zeena!LOL!!!! :lol:
Ok, apparently I missed the elm tree part! Let me just go back and re-read it again.
I think if Mattie died, I would have cried so much! I just wanted her and Ethan to find some sort of happiness together. As bad as the thought is, I wanted Ethan to be done with Zeena....oh that crazy woman! But really I suppose it added to the whole dynamic of the story, which was so incredible! But the best part is the whole beginning with Ethan liking Mattie, but can't really say it. Subtle moments are the best!

yes they are and with her having one piece of red on!!!great! andi know about having mattie die, i cried while writing it!LOL!!! and zeena is just a nut because she was never sick, as soon as mattie needed the help, zeena was all healthy and moving about!!ugh!

Crazy Zeena...tell me more about your ending though! For goodness sake, we should just have another thread about just discussing books like this!

LOL!!!i can send it to you? pm if you want me to, if you dont no feelings hurt! and yes we should just have threads for books like these!!!
i loved how we saw the story through different views, so we dont know if we are getting the story slant or the truth or whatever?! i love the setting how the snow and keeping everything bound and under soo much weight, symbolism nut here!

At school I'm reading The Cay. It's pretty good so far! I need to finish reading the rest of The Chronicles of Narnia though! There are soo many good books out there!!

Our setwork novel for this year is catcher in the rye. I hate that book. I blame it for the brutal murder of John Lennon. But it is a good book if u don't take into account all the psychopaths who have killed ppl while reading it.

Our setwork novel for this year is catcher in the rye. I hate that book. I blame it for the brutal murder of John Lennon. But it is a good book if u don't take into account all the psychopaths who have killed ppl while reading it.

It is quite an interesting book... I didn't know there were psychopaths who killed people while reading it!

Try Perks of Being a Wallflower... it's like a modern version of Catcher, only I don't think anyone has killed anyone while reading it. However, if you're offended by drugs and profanity, it might not be the book for you.

Back