Well, everything has been back up online for about 36 hours now with no noticeable problems. Essentially I tasked myself with answering a single question: On our dedicated server, which should be more than sufficient, we have several vBulletin installations of various sizes but why is it only Cool Sci-Fi that is experiencing the MySQL timeouts? I ended up going through just about every vBulletin option available as well going through the code of several add-ons being used to find out what's going on. In the end I came across several chunks of code that would've added extra load on the SQL tables in additional to some schedule tasks that were constantly updating counters. I also come across some situations with the Usenet threads in the alt.test group that had binary attachments. In short... I believe a combination of factors were at play and I've fixed most of the ones that were within reach. Next up would be to work on some of more complicated issues as well as slowly turning back on some of the various options that were disabled. EDIT: I'm also on the verge of deciding to not re-enabling vBSEO here at Cool Sci-Fi. While it definitely has some advantages & nifty features I'm finding it to be the biggest 'mystery box' when it comes time to researching problems.