Recommended Books

Any of you have any books you'd like to reccommend to others searching for a good book? And can you please leave a short summary and perhaps a genre along with the title and author?

Just put this in your post:
Title:
Author:
Rating: e.g, if it's an adult book, a children's book, a teenage book
Genre: e.g, romance, adventure
Summary: make your own summary, or you could even type the blurb of the book up
Your rating: what you would rate it

Some good books in my opinon are:

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
A story about a girl who gets raped at a party one night and ends up calling the cops. Anyways, because the cops came and people got arrested, her whole high school (including her ex-friends) hate her now. She's trying to deal with this, as she hasnt told anyone, and she has to deal with seeing the guy who raped her at school, and even seeing him go out with someone she knows! Find out what she does...

Go Ask Alice
A supposely true story about a drug addict and it basically tells you what happens to her.

White Oleander by Janet Fitch
This has to be one of my favorite books! The majority of the story takes place after Astrid's mother murders her lover. It deals with Astrid trying to find herself as she goes through foster homes, and she takes a valuable lesson from each of her foster mothers.

I merged the Bubbles' Book reccommendation thread with this. - alias_fan

I read Go Ask Alice and Speak and I think those are both really great books. I definately recommend Stephen King novels. Any of his books are a great choice. They may seem a bit scary to some people, but I just finished Firestarter and I could not put it down. Here's a summary I found :
"Andy could feel something building in the air, building up around Charlie like an electric charge. The hair on his arms suddenly began to stir and move, like kelp in an invisible tide. He looked down at her and saw her face, so small, now so strange.

It's coming, he thought helplessly. It's coming, oh my God, it really is."

In 1969 Andy McGee and Vicky Tomlinson participate in a drug experiment run by a veiled government agency known as The Shop. One year later they marry. Two years after that their little girl, Charlie, sets her teddy bear on fire... by looking at it.

Now that Charlie is eight, she doesn't start fires anymore. Her parents have taught her to control her pyrokinesis, the ability to set anything -- toys, clothes, even people -- aflame.

But The Shop knows about and wants this pigtailed "ultimate weapon." Shop agents set out to hunt down Charlie and her father in a ruthless and terrifying chase that ranges from the streets of New York to the backwoods of Vermont. And once they get her they plan to use Charlie's capacity for love to force her into developing a power as horrifyingly destructive as it is seductive. What they don't take into account is that even a child can know the pleasure of the whip hand and the satisfaction of revenge.

Let the reader beware, for Firestarter is Stephen King at his most mesmerizing... and menacing.

Go Ask Alice is one of my favourite books ever. frig i cry everytime i read it at the end. i've read it like 20 times hehe. yeah i recommend it to everyone

oo speak was good too.. hehe. and there is this book at my library that i have read a few times.. it is called Cut... but i forget who it is by. its about a girl in rehab for cutting.. its good

Some good autors are:

Micheal Crichton
John Grisham
Robin Cook
Ken Follett

I have read every single one of the authors books listed above, and liked most of them. In my opion the books are great and highley recomended.

I recommend Evil An Investigation by Lance Morrow. The book jacket cover says this. In this provocative and compelling book, Morrow offers startling insights into evil: it is always a story, a narrative played out in the world; it is preversely drawn to the innocent and the vulnerable; and, like a parasite, it takes up residence in the human heart when it finds opprotunity. In light of the dramatic reemurgance of evil on the national consciousness, Evil An Investigation lays bare a primitive force at once shockingly familiar and as urgent as today's headlines.

great book i just read was the five people you meet in heaven by mitch albom (the same guy who wrote tuesdays with morrie (another great book))... its really inspiring and it made me cry :( but still SO good. its about this elderly guy who dies and goes to heaven... he meets the five people he impacted the most with his life and goes on to find out what his purpose on earth was... even though he was just an amusement park mechanic

good in bed and in her shoes by jennifer weiner are also two good chick books... great writer

awhile back i read lovely bones by alice sebold and that was a sad book but also good... you probably heard about it but a little girl is kidnapped and murdered by her neighbor and she looks down from heaven on her family as they deal with her death, see her parents age and her siblings grow up...

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter is one of the best books I've ever read, period. I loved it so much that when I was done, I reread it, and I've never done that before.

The book deals with several different characters' takes on love, and not just the romantic kind. Completely satisfying.

My fav authors are: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Anne McCaffery, J.R.R. Tolkien (If you've only seen the movies you're missing out), J.K. Rowling(I didn't spell that right did I?), Robin McKinly(probably misspelled), Brian Jacques. I'm a sci-f-/fantasy/fiction/historical fiction kind of person. I've also read Speak. IT IS SO GOOD WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE!!!

I'd recommend these books (even if you've read 'em already):

Fearless Series by Francine Pascal
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Alternative 3 by Ken Mitchell

Ice Station
Area 7
Scarecrow
Contest
Temple
by Matthew Reilly, these books are page turners, totally recommend them.

hotpot said:
great book i just read was the five people you meet in heaven by mitch albom (the same guy who wrote tuesdays with morrie (another great book))... its really inspiring and it made me cry :( but still SO good. its about this elderly guy who dies and goes to heaven... he meets the five people he impacted the most with his life and goes on to find out what his purpose on earth was... even though he was just an amusement park mechanic
when i heard that book was coming out, i couldn't wait for it! it's such a good book! and i love the way mitch albom writes... he has so much wisdom in his books. and they really do make you cry. :( tuesdays with morrie was a major tearjerker.

nicholas sparks is another good writer. i've read a walk to remember (the book is definitely better than the movie) and the notebook. both so sweet and sad. i haven't had a chance to read the wedding (sequel to the notebook) yet.

the shopaholic books (confessions of a shopaholic, shopaholic takes manhatten, shopaholic ties the knot) are good. sophie kinsella was so good at writing becky, she actually got on my nerves at times with her denial. hahaha.

umm. any book of amy tan's is good. i think my favorite of hers has to be the hundred secret sense. it's about a girl who gets a half sister and she hates her throughout her life. but when she goes to china with her, she realizes how much her sister loved her and how she had been so wrong to hate her. sad book. :( her latest, the bonesetter's daughter is good, too. and the longest of all her books. haha. i haven't gotten a chance to read the opposite of fate, a book of musings, yet... but i plan to.

dog handling and mr. maybe are pretty good chick books. oh and the nanny diaries. :smiley:

Daughter of Fortune - By Isabel Allende
This is the first in a trilogy of books. They all take place in Chile or Central America during the Civil War or the turn of the century. Allende is beautiful writer. Her descriptions are not long and drawn out but still give you a vivid image of the setting. It is primarily about Eliza who goes to America in search of her true love during the Gold Rush. The people she meets along the way affect her in many different ways. The characters in the books have real personalities. There are no far-fetched characters or situations. Daughter of Fortune was an Oprah book and there are talks of making it into a movie. I would recommend any of Allende's books.

Umm...I would suggest the book I'm reading right now. It's East of Eden by John Steinback. Its like a modern version of the book of Genesis...and it has everything in it (y)

bluheart13 said:
Umm...I would suggest the book I'm reading right now. It's East of Eden by John Steinback. Its like a modern version of the book of Genesis...and it has everything in it (y)
i second that...great book...i read it in 11th grade and didn't appreciate it as much as i did the second time i read it (even though it was only 4 years later ^_^)

its a chick book....but *what my mother doesnt know* .....its so cute and romantic and you learn a few things from it too ^_^

so if you looking for a teenage romantic kinda book then get this one

Back