Recommended Books

How the Light Gets In
By M.J. Hyland

I just finished it on Tuesday... it's about this girl called Lou who goes to Illinois as an exchange student from Sydney. She wants to make a new start away from her family whom she hates, but ends up getting mixed up in drugs and boys etc. It's worth reading.

Thanis
by Hazel Riley

It's about a girl called Jessica who is approached by a mysterious girl in the British Museum, who commisions her to make a spiral thingymajig for her, but it involves her moving to cornwall. This book is ultra cool.

I read this book called "City of Light" by Lauren Belfner, and it was just great! I loved it, and was hooked on it! It is 780 pages, but it's worth every page. It's more of a classic though, so if you don't like classics, then you might not like this one. Some points are a little slow, but not really, because the author really keeps the plot and story going.

Here are some I recomend:

Title: Dune
Genra: Sci - Fi
Author: Frank Herbert
Summary(From back of book): Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'Dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family-and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream.

Title: Mara: Daughter of the Nile
Genra: Erm...basically ALIAS set in Ancient Egypt
Author: Eloise Jarvis McGraw
Summar(From back of book): Mara is a proud and beautiful slave girl who yearns for freedom. In order to gain it, she finds herself playing the dangerous role of double spy for two arch enemies-each of whom supports a contender for the throne of Egypt. Against her will, Mara finds herself falling in love with one of her masters, the noble Sheftu, and she starts to believe in his plans of restoring Thutmose III to the throne. But just when Mara is ready to offer Sheftu her help and her heart, her duplicity is discovered, and a battle ensures in which both Mara's life and the fate of Egypt are at stake.

Both very VERY good books! I highly recommend the second one for all the big ALIAS fans! ^_^ I loved it a LOT!

One of my most favorite books is "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. i read it a couple of years ago, and i absolutely adore it.

it's definitely something i'd recommend reading :smiley:

Chocolat by Joanne Harris (dunno if someone said that already)
The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (adult material, not for kids under er... 18. I cheated.
The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman.
  • The Golden Compass
  • The Subtle Knife
  • The Amber Spyglass

"The Spy Who Loves Me" -I can't remember the author's name

It was actually really good. But it did have some sex scenes in it. Not that many but if your under 15 I wouldn't recomend it. Unless you really don't mind about that stuff.

I'm only 13 and if my parents knew I read this they would get mad. Heh.

aliassyd47 said:
"The Spy Who Loves Me" -I can't remember the author's name

It was actually really good. But it did have some sex scenes in it. Not that many but if your under 15 I wouldn't recomend it. Unless you really don't mind about that stuff.

I'm only 13 and if my parents knew I read this they would get mad. Heh.
[post="971728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

LOL!!!hahhhhaaaa i read sooo many books with sex scenes before i turned 15! i guess my parents would get mad too if they knew what i read. but they never checked what i read....no i really don't mind about that stuff... :lol:

great books are the series that starts with 'Angus, thongs and full frountal snogging' apparently they have just become popular in america. they are so so so funni! newest one is great, 'And then it fell off in my hand'. So far there are 5, I think the author is definately writting one more.

I recommend Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald. Helps you understand that emo is not a stereotype... but a rite of passage for teenagers.

And it doesn't hurt that Andy devoted three chapters to Dashboard. :D

Katrina Halliwell said:

The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman.
  • The Golden Compass
  • The Subtle Knife
  • The Amber Spyglass
[post="962328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yeah, they are really, really good. Over here (The UK) "The Golden Compass" is called "Northern Lights" though :rolleyes:

Another really good book is "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiassen.

if you're a teen and want sort of spy stuff, go read the Fearless series by Francine Pascal!

also, we can never ignore the classics!

but my favourite book of the year was The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

^
I agree. The Da Vinci Code rocks my socks.

I also recomend "The Gathering" By Isobelle carmody. Its fantastic.
And there are so many more that i cant remember the names of. Ill research, then come back....

Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Author: Gregory Maguire
Rating: Teen/Adult...it get's a little naughty
Genre: Fantasy

Actually...I have not finished it...read half of it and I'm definately enjoying it. I've yet to see the musical but I know the storyline is different. I just love the whole concept because it's a play on the Wizard of Oz...it's sort of a prequel to what happens before Dorothy drops in. The first section is a little slow (I enjoyed it, but I've had mixed reviews from other people who complained that it just wasn't moving along--but they had to read it for class...and I read it alone.) The story itself is rather twisted...but rather interesting...it goes into many aspects of social interaction and discrimination, political unrest, romance, an occasional very peculiar account of sex. (Though with the except of those few pages...of what I've read...it's been very gratifying.)

And you have to love the Devil Wears Prada!...especially if you love fashion and um...cynical b****es. (excuse my french...though it is the truth)

And Persuasion...a great Austen novel! That would actually make a pretty good girls-only book club read.

Even if you've seen the films, go and read 'The Godfather' by Mario Puzo. It's one of the greatest books ever written. Simple as!...

Oh, also check out the canon of Dune novels by Frank Herbert. They are epic, awe-inspiring & incredibly involving... (y)

It should be a requirement for every adolescent boy or adeolescent boy at heart to read S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders. I read it in 8th grade for my English class. The movie is great too with a lot of then-rising stars (Dillon,Swayze, Cruise).

title: SEVENWATERS
book one: DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST
book two: SON OF THE SHADOWS
book three: CHILD OF THE PROPHECY
author: Juliet Marillier
rating: young adults/adult
genre: fantasy

ok, if you haven't read those, and you're looking for something too, and love a great, romantic, funny, adventurous, old celtic novel...this is your book. i would say, better than The Mists.

(y)

Back