Recommended Books

If you want to read something that's funny, moving, and a little innocent at the same time, read "You Don't Know Me" by David Klass. The cover is a little creepy but I made myself check it out of the library and I loved it so much that my boyfriend bought it for me for my birthday. It's a great book.

"The Giver" by Louis Lowery is also a good book. It really makes you think about what if...? Lots of "what if's" come to your mind if you read that book.

i have a few..

1. Title: Wasted
Author: Marya Hornbacher
Rating: adult book
Genre: autobiography.. is that a genre? lol
Summary: (one i found..) Eating disorders are frequently written about but rarely with such immediacy and candor. Hornbacher was only 23 years old when she wrote this book so there is no sense of her having distanced herself from the disease or its lingering effects on her. This, combined with her talent for writing, gives readers a real sense of the horror of anorexia and bulimia and their power to dominate an individual's life. The author was bulimic as a fourth grader and anorexic at age 15. She was hospitalized several times and institutionalized once. By 1993 she was attending college and working as a journalist. Her weight had dropped to 52 pounds and doctors in the emergency room gave her only a week to live. She left the hospital, decided she wanted to live, then walked back and signed herself in for treatment. This is not a quick or an easy read. Hornbacher talks about possible causes for the illnesses and describes feeling isolated, being in complete denial, and not wanting to change or fearing change, until she nearly died. Young people will connect with this compelling and authentic story.
Your rating: 10/10

Title: Sloppy Firsts (and the sequel Second Helpings)
Author: Megan McCafferty
Rating: teen book
Genre: uh.. teen book? lol
Summary: (from the cover) a fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by mccafferty. sloppy firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica [Darling's] predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment. Like a John Hughes for the 21st century, mccafferty taps into the inherent humour and drama of the teen experience. this poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are greatful that they don't hav to go back and grow up all over again.
Your rating: 10/10... and 10/10 for Second Helpings as well.

My teacher wrote a book called NO, George, NO! The Re-Parenting of George W. Bush. it appears to be a children's book at first glance, but it's actually a pretty funny book. check it.

Your teacher rocks. Anyone that writes a book bashing Bush rocks ^_^

meg_loves_Alias said:
"The Giver" by Louis Lowery is also a good book.
[post="1250870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That is such an excellent story! I've read it multiple times at a varity of ages and it never gets boring. Its one of those stories that makes you re-evaluate things, and as meg_loves_Alias said, really makes you think about the what ifs.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I really enjoyed the book A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libra Bray. Its a really interesting story with a complex plot line, and realistic, multifaceted characters. Its pretty much for teens, and probably would be better suited for girls. Oh, and its kind of a mix between fantasy and historical fiction. In any case, its an excellent piece of work. :smiley:

Title: Girls of Many Lands: Ethiopia: Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot

Author: Jane Kurtz (Love her books!!!)

Rating: Juvinile

Genre: Adventure, Excitement, Sad, Cheerful (ways to describe it)

This 12 year old girl, Saba, and her older brother Mesfin are kidnapped from their rural home to a royal palace at Gondar. Saba finally learns the truth about her long-lost parents-and her own royalty. With Ethiopia's rulers in the midst of a scary stuggle for control over the throne, waht can the King of Kings---- Emperor Yohannes III possibly whant with her?????
Gondar, 1846
I kept my gaze on the ground as the cheifs walked by me, but I do not think I imagined it that many of them studied me carefully as any village father looking for a bride for his son. I wanted to shrink away from their sights were like lizards' tongues......

My rating: Loved it!!!! Sooo awsome!! I HIGHLY recommend it to readers who like stories that took place in diffrent contries or earlier in time when natives and people believed in Budas and evil spirits!!

If you like historical fiction definatly check out:
The Other Boleyn Girl by:Philippa Gregory
and
The Only Life That Mattered

I forgot who wrote The Only Life That Mattered, but it is about Calico Jack, Anne Bonny and Mary Reed.

Title: Twilight

Author: Stephanie Meyer

Rating: Young Adult or Teen... whatever you want to call it.

Genre: um... not sure really. it's a mix of fantasy, romance, suspense, and vampire. lol. if that makes any sense at all.

Summary: Isabelle Swan moves to Forks, Washington where she falls in love with the gorgeous Edward Cullen. But she has absolutely no idea what she's getting herself into. She finds out that Edward might not exactly be human; he's actually a vampire. And he finds her smell very mouthwatering.

My Rating: 10/10 I loved it! It's an amazing book.

Title: His Dark Materials Trilogy

Author: Philip Pullman

Rating: Young Adult-Adult

Genre: Fantasy fiction

Summary: The trilogy follows the coming of age of two main characters, Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry, as they wander through a multiverse of parallel universes and a backdrop of epic events. The story begins in Northern Lights (The Golden Compass in North America) with fantasy elements such as gyptians, witches, and armoured bears. As the trilogy progresses, it acquires allegorical layers of meaning, introducing a broad range of ideas from fields such as physics (especially quantum physics), philosophy (especially metaphysics, philosophy of religion and, arguably, a certain position on the origin of consciousness), and theology (especially biblical symbolism).

My Rating: 10/10. These books are my favourites, and I read them constantly. I love them so much!! I highly reccomend them! So far, the friends I have reccomended the books to have all loved them and now they read them constantly.

Title: The Perfect Storm

Author: Sebastian Junger

Rating: Adult-Young Adult
Genre: Non-fiction

Summary: It is about the 1991 Halloween Nor’easter that hit North America in October 1991, and features the crew of the fishing boat Andrea Gail, based out of Gloucester, Massachusetts, who were lost 575 miles (925 km) at sea during the severe conditions. It has interviews from the crew of the Andrea Gail as well as family and close friends being interviewed.

My Rating: 10/10. For those who like true-life stories, this is the one for you. If you've seen the movie...well, the book is better, the movie having based off the book. It is incredible and quite sad, as one might expect. Highly reccomend!

Title: The Immortals

Author: Michael Korda

This book is a fictional account of the historical love affair of Marilyn Monroe and President John. F. Kennedy and Marilyn's subsequent affair with Atterney General Bobby Kennedy, Jack's brother.

If you like Marilyn and the Kennedy's, It's definately the book for you.

Back