Reconaissance

Title: Reconaissance
Author: musically83, aka kate
Rating: PG/PG-13
Disclaimer: the only thing in here that's completely mine is the idea...most of the characters I am borrowing from JJAbrams, BadRobot, etc.
Spoilers: Takes place after The Telling
Summary: Vaughn comes to Hong Kong to bring Sydney back after 2 years...what happens next? What did we miss? Read...and I will explain
AN: the title is French for gratitude...I thought it was appropriate. I have several installments done, but I want to know what you guys think about them before I get too far. So, without further ado......

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
Chapter 1</span>

FRA[N]CE

*phone rings*
Vaughn grunted, and slowly rolled over. *ring* He swore that if it were possible the phone was getting louder with each ring. *ring* He reached over the still sleeping body of his wife and answered the phone.
"Allo?"
"Allo, Monsieur Veredoque?"
"Oui..?"
"Je suis Madame DuBonnet, et je voudrias confirmer votre appointement avec Monsieur Stowrib cette matin a dix heures." (I am Mme. DuBonnet, and I would like to confirm your meeting with M. Stowrib today at 10am)
"Merci. Au revoir."
There was a faint click at the other end before he could put the phone back on the receiver. He glanced outside--no sunlight yet. He looked at his watch. Damn. One of these days he was just going to have to give in and fix his father's watch. He rolled back onto his side of the bed, and stared in disbelief at the clock. The CIA must have a darn good reason to wake him from his well-deserved rest after that mission last night.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>-----FLASHBACK------</span>

A black stretch limo pulled up behind the ten or twenty others waiting to enter the Chateaux's compound. Finally, it was their turn to get out and go through security. Marie exited the car first, it was due to her that he got to go to this party at all. She was the personal assistant to the head of the French Communist Party, Marie-George Buffet, who was throwing this gala. Michael had to take a deep breath to stifle the intense hatred he felt for these people. Not only did they espouse values far different from their own, but they were also one of Derevko's front companies. Tonight, he was to find the latest piece of intel that would lead him to Derevko, and...he hoped...someone else.
Marie had handed their gilded invitation to the guard and was starring quizzically at him. "Michel, allez-y!" (Michael, come here!) He snapped out of his reverie and took his wife's hand. He was just another spouse here, no one gave his now-blond hair and brown eyed visage a second glance. Marie still turned heads, in her tight blue gown with Marilyn Monroe hair. Across the room, Marie-George waved to Marie, calling her forward. Halfway across the room, Michael was stopped by a 300-pound man; obviously this wasn't a pleasure meeting. He kissed his wife's hand, motioned to the other side of the room, and walked away. When he got to the base of the staircase, he checked back over his shoulder and saw the Maries commiserating...they would be busy for at least five minutes. This was his window of opportunity.
"Boyscout to base ops, I'm going in." He raced up the stairs, pausing for only a moment on the landing to straighten his tie and make sure he had everything he would need handy. He took a deep breath and continued up the stairs. The first guard was right at the top of the stairs, subdued with a small dose of Morphine, the second two steps behind and just as easily stopped. He put his ear to the door of the study, heard nothing out of the ordinary and opened it.
With his back to the door, Michael began to work on unlocking the safe. Every five or ten seconds he'd look over his shoulder, sure that he had heard footsteps in the corridor. He still wasn't used to doing this stuff by himself. His brow was covered in sweat by the time he finally cracked open the safe and found what he had come for: a small box with engravings on the top: <o>.
"Boyscout to base ops, I have the artifact."
"Boyscout, get out of there now. We have reason to believe K-Directorate is there with you. You cannot blow your cover."
"Copy that. Going radio silent." Dammit, this never got any easier. He closed the safe, packed up his gear, put the box in his inside jacket pocket and left the study. He was most of the way down the stairs when he heard a voice behind him.
"Do I know you?" He turned around, startled by the English.
"Excusez-moi, je ne parle pas anglais." (Excuse me, I don't speak English)
"I guess not." The woman with the <o> tattoo walked up the stairs.

Marie was waiting for him when he got back to the party. "Mon cherie, where have you been?"
"Searching for the W.C. I feel sick, darling, can we go home?"
"Mais oui...I am finished here." She sounded so loving...he felt awful for deceiving her, but it was his job. He offered her his arm, and they left the party two minutes before Anna Espinosa returned empty-handed.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>-------End FLASHBACK-------</span>

Michael rolled out of bed and walked into the bathroom. He splashed ice-cold water on his face and shivered at it's touch. He began shaving, never forgetting the morning when he began to show symptoms of "the disease." He let his mind drift back...to the woman who had visited him...who had saved him. He had left L.A. to try and get away from her memory, she'd been gone for almost two years already, but it didn't help to be halfway around the world. He jerked back to reality as his blade nicked his soft skin. He needed to find a way not to think of her every second of the day, how she had disappeared, simply vanished from her apartment. Every day he kicked himself for letting her go home alone, especially after another encounter with her mother. He should have followed his impulses and driven them all the way to Santa Barbara, protocol be damned. They could afford to buy clothes when they got there, they could have cemented their life together, but instead he went by the book and promised to come back after the debrief.
He felt a hand on his shoulder and he jumped. "Michel, what is it you are thinking about?" Marie had such a distressed look on her face; she must have been watching for a while.
"Mon cherie, I must go in to work, I'm sorry darling..." he put one finger to her mouth to silence her protesting, "...but this cannot wait. You understand, right darling?"
She pouted. "But we were going to la plage today, to sun and relax."
"You know that my job is as important to me as yours is to you...and I promise, I will be back as soon as I can." Her sad eyes provoked no emotion in him, he hated hurting her, but knew that she had hurt him as much, if not more.
"All right. I am going back to sleep and then will carry on without you I suppose." She kissed him, trying one last time to force him to stay, but he placed his firm hands on her shoulders and withdrew.
"Thank you, mon cherie. I will see you soon." She returned to bed and it was all he could do not to brush his teeth, just to get the taste of her out of his mouth. Instead, he showered, dressed in a tan dress suit with a white half-buttoned shirt underneath and grabbed an apple on his way to the train station.
When he let himself, he loved being back in France, living in Provence. He didn't let himself feel happy very often. He greeted the station master and bought a one-way ticket to Nice and today's copy of Le Monde. He looked up at the clock, and it was barely 6:30, the sky to the east only beginning to lighten. From the west, one bright light steamed towards him. The train stopped, and he quietly found a seat in an empty car, and opened the paper...trying with all his mind not to invoke the memory of her.

So whaddya think so far? read...review...constructive criticism REALLY appreciated because this is my first attempt at a fanfic. All will be revealed as the story continues, but if you need help I'll post the next sections...most questions linking this to the last episode will be answered in them.

Thanks!

wow! i really love this! i can't wait for more. could you pm me when you put up more? love ya babe~amber~ :trampoline:

i really like it so far....i mean i know vaughns not married in this one, well he is, but he is not married to alice or anything, so hes free, kinda, in a way, ok ill shut up now :D

Chapter 2, Part 1

Two hours later, Vaughn had read every damn word in that paper...twice...hoping in vain for just one mention of her name, or of any of her aliases. He thought he'd found one a few months ago, a classified ad, general help wanted: "Bartender needed for new club, T^3 (T cubed), Truth Takes Time. Competitive salary, full benefits. Call Kate 4732 8039." Not much, but enough to make him hope that she might still be alive. He'd faxed the ad to Jack, who had then used every resource at his disposal to track down information about T^3, but had found nothing to link it to Sark...or Sloane...or Irina....or, most importantly, Sydney. It was all one horrible, painful coincidence. At least today there was no false hope.

I know it's short, I'll have part 2 up later tonight but I wanted to see if anyone liked it...I hope you do!!

Wow!! This is great!!! Please PM me when you update!! I have so many stories I'm reading and have to keep up with....

Wow, that was great. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this fic, and if its not to much trouble, if you could PM me when you update, it'd be awesome. Thanx.

ohhh i like. i really like a lot. that's really great. you've got talent. keep writing :smiley: post more soon
--Mandy :angelic:

Wow...*tear*....thank you guys SOO much for your feedback...and of COURSE I'll PM everyone who asks for updates...that's not a problem at all! So...more?

this is where it starts to get really innteresting...at least, that's what I think ;)....but I'm biased....I'm the writer *runs around room all giddy and insane-like*

Chapter 2, part 2

Vaughn got off the train and hailed a cab for his destination: his antiques appraisal firm: Meunier (A/N: this is a real place...whether or not it's a front company...well, you can decide that), where he specialized in Impressionist paintings. Well, that was what he told anyone curious enough to ask. When he arrived at the firm he generously tipped the cabbie and walked through the revolving door straight to elevator 4.
Once inside, he punched the highest floor in the building and waited for his fellow passengers to leave, one by one. Finally he was alone; he moved to the access panel and pressed 4, 7, and 9 silmultaneously to reveal a hidden biometric scanner and keypad. He pressed his right index finger to the scanner and sighed as he entered his latest code into the keypad: 7-2-9. One of these days...soon...he was going to have to change that. The elevator stopped, with its barely noticeable thud, and Vaughn walked into the CIA's Nice headquarters, on floor 47.
He quietly walked to his desk, ignoring his coworkers who barely glanced at him anymore. They were used to his silent treatment, but they knew he got the job done. He reached his desk, opened the right drawer and placed the latest Rambaldi artifact inside. He turned on his computer and was about to read his email when he heard a gruff voice behind him.
"Vaughn. Briefing Room. Now." G-d, it had been ages since he had heard that voice, not since he left the L.A. office almost a year and a half ago. Not since he left for a deep-cover mission to try and escape the memories of her...well, he knew how well that had worked.
"But sir," he replied in his now-customary French accent, "I am Monsieur Veredoque, I do not know this Monsieur....Vaughane was it?"
"Screw cover stories, it doesn't matter now, no one in this room will blow it. We have a more important crisis on our hands." He couldn't remember the last time Kendall was so frantic. Yes, he did...it was when he called the ops center that night to tell them the love of his life was missing.
Kendall shut the door to the conference room and moved towards the already-full table. Vaughn glanced around, gasping at what he saw. Dixon was there, and Weiss with that stupid look on his face, and Will...with a ring on his finger, and Marshall, looking happier than Vaughn had ever seen them. He opened his mouth to speak, but Kendall interrupted him.
"Twelve hours ago, I received a phone call...from Hong Kong." He moved to his right, and pressed play on a tiny hand-held recorder. "This is officer 2300844, calling for connection. Confirmation: looking glass." Vaughn could not believe his ears, couldn't help himself. For the first time in his career, he lost it...just broke down and cried in the middle of a briefing. Weiss got up and walked around the table, glaring back at Kendall every step of the way. He reached for Vaughn's hand, and held it tight.
"Buck up, buddy. We need you strong on this one."
As the phone call ended, Kendall continued. "Agent Vaughn, I am temporarily but indefinetly removing from your position here and sending you to Hong Kong to meet with Agent Bristow."
"Bu..." Vaughn began to protest, but he got no further.
"I've already asked your secretary to call your wife and let her know you're taking an unexpected but unavoidable trip to the Louvre to examine their latest acquisitions. But be careful. We don't have any idea what has happened to Agent Bristow since we last saw her. Weiss, Dixon, Will and Marshall will go with you as a support team. Your flight leaves in 30 minutes, and I will be in contact with your instructions an hour before you reach Hong Kong, monitoring you from here." With that dismissal, they all stood up and began to leave. "And Vaughn?"
"Yes?"
"Make sure this is the real deal...and don't screw this up. We'll need you to go back into deep cover once we've reaquired Agent Bristow." Kendall was firm, but his wistful eyes revealed his desire to have her back.
"Yes, sir." He didn't have the heart to mock him, he was too confused by everything that had happened.
Weiss grabbed him by the arm, and the five of them went down to the waiting limousine...to the airport.........................................................................
..... to Sydney.

so...whaddya think of that? more coming soon...stuff on the plane and flashbacks before we get to HK...heeheehee...writer's priveledge to know what happens next ;) But the more you post...the more I'll post....sooo.......

whaddya think?

YES! Absotively posolutely wonderful!!! wait no, absolutely positively wonderful! (Sorry, that's all I hear so it gets stuck in my head sometimes and it just comes out like that) I can't wait for the next chapter!! :woot:

wonderful. absolutly. one of the best new fics i've read in a while :D
--Mandy :angelic:

omg your story just caught my attention and it is great!! i cant wait to see where you go with this!!

wow thats really good! i wish i had a special pass/permit thing to ALWAYS have writers privlage including season 3 ep.1!!!!! (runs out of the room like a drunked bear just woken up from hibernation so excited that she came up with one good idea!!! lol

lauren vartan :surf:

heeheehee....thanks guys :smiley: I agree...we need to break in and steal the script for ALIAS 3.1...that way maybe we'll all be sane! This is the best, most ALIAS solution I could come up with...and you haven't seen the best of it yet! Now I'm not going to start a bad precedent by posting more than 1 chapter per day, but I'll post more Saturday.

Enjoy whatever time of day it is wherever you are :smiley:

really good!!! I like this idea, being undercover. (y) (y) (y) (y)

keep writing, it's very good!

French parts were good, if you want to use french again mail me ;)

lol...I took french in school for 13 years so while it's a little rusty, it's pretty easy for me to find it again...thanks for the offer to help...I'll keep it in mind. Basically I got tired of translating so I just switched to English.

Anway, here's a quick sneak peek of ch3, I'll pm people when I put the rest of it up later tonight.

Chapter 3, part 1

The limousine was deathly silent. No one wanted to speak first, not knowing what to say. Sydney was alive, and each, for their own reasons, breathed a heavy sigh of relief because of it. Not able to bear the silence any longer, Vaughn broke the silence. "so...ummm...how have you guys been?"
Dixon answered first. "Well, you remember that I'd found a nanny for my children, right? It was the only way I was going to be able to remain on active duty, and am I ever glad that I did because she's absolutely wonderful with them...and for me. We've formed a very companionable relationship...a very close friendship. She even knows what I do, and she respects me for it. I've never really thought of finding someone to replace Diane...but Sarah is wonderful to spend time with." He sighed at this point, remembering seeing his wife's car blown up. He was still frustrated because Sloane had never been found, but was hopeful that Sydney's reappearance might bring new leads.
Vaughn shook his head, understanding Dixon's misery. "No one can ever replace her...but some can fill a similar place. They'll never be her." Dixon nodded, understanding that while he was responding to his reaction to Diane's death, he was talking about Sydney. Any one of them could have said that about Sydney, and now she was coming back.

so....intruiged? more up by midnight...I hope!

Back