Red Skies at Dawn (COMPLETE)

A/N: Okay, I wrote this for the Color Challenge, obviously. Its dark, angsty S/V, seeing as how it takes place during her missing two years. Everything after the Season 2 finale never happened, and this is just a "What if?" take. I hope you guys enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part I

She was overcome by an infinite darkness, not able to see anything. It was like someone had turned out all the lights and put a black bag over her head. The silence itself was deafening, lingering in the air and taunting her. All of her senses were heightened and she couldn’t help but wonder where she was.

“My guardian angel.”

The voice was her own, except she didn’t speak it. Someone else did. It was almost like she was listening to herself speak with someone. But who? Who was her guardian angel? What was her other self talking about? It was still too dark to see.

Suddenly, she felt a presence close to her. It was familiar, yet so distant. She longed for it, yet rejected it. It confused her, yet answered her calls.

She reached out, looking for the person but grabbing nothing but air. It didn’t make sense. Whoever it was, they were right in front of her, so why couldn’t she touch them? Why couldn’t she see them? All she heard was steady breathing and a steady pulse. Were they her own?

“Goodbye.”

“Wait!” she objected, her voice finally breaking the paralysis, “Wait! Don’t go!”

But it was too late. He was already gone.

----------

She opened her eyes and shot straight up in her bed, her body damp with cold sweat. She had that dream again. She didn’t know why, but she was having this strange dream, over and over, which had just started recently. They felt like memories, but she couldn’t place them and pin them down in her mind. Every time she came close, they slipped right through her fingers, like grains of sand.

She lay in her bed for a good hour before she finally gave up and admitted that she wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight. Not that it mattered; sleep was a luxury that had become so foreign to her. That, and looking to her side, out the window, she could see the sun beginning to break past the horizon. It was already morning.

She forced herself out of bed and into the kitchen, pouring herself a cup of lukewarm coffee. She was too lazy to make a fresh pot, and to be honest, she didn’t think she could stomach it.

She was right.

She ran to the bathroom, emptying the contents of her stomach in the bowl. It had become a ritual to her, every morning and sometimes even night. At this rate, she knew she didn’t have long. Not that it mattered. Life was a commodity which came cheap. She had told herself that so many times and she told herself yet again.

“My guardian angel, you say?” she asked, barely above a whisper. She wiped her mouth on the sleeve of her shirt, staring into the toilet bowl, “Then where the hell are you?”

Her question was broken by the all-too-familiar and constant ringing of her cell phone and she quickly dashed into her living room, ravaging through her things. When she finally found it, she checked the ID and scowled.

She should have known.

“Julia Thorne,” she answered, her voice indifferent.

“My, are we pleasant on this bright and early morning?” her employer asked, his voice sarcastic and scratchy from his age and the years he spent smoking thousand dollar cigars.

“Yes, I noticed that, too. It is bright and early, so why are you calling me?” she snapped, wanting him to cut to the chase.

“You know, Julia, this is a twenty-four hour job. I’m surprised at your astonishment,” he laughed, “Plus, you and I both know you don’t close your eyes. How can you… without seeing so many faces?”

She frowned, “Make your offer and make it quick, or I hang this phone up and you never hear from me again.”

“All right,” he surrendered, “How fast can you get to LA?”

“As fast as you need me there. Why?”

“Your next target is in LA. I need you on the next flight out,” he explained, “Information will be made available once you arrive.”

“Very well. Consider it done,” she replied, hanging up her phone and putting it in her pocket. She looked over to her door, where her luggage was packed and ready to go.

Its not that she ever packed in advance. She just never unpacked. Why, when you’re just going to be heading out the door in a day, anyway? Why, when staying in one place is not an option? Not for her, anyway.

She thinks it has been this way her entire life, always on the go. Its what keeps her going and tears her apart; never having to settle down and grow too attached, but never having the chance to experience “home.”

Her apartment was so… uninviting, to say the least. It mirrored her personality perfectly, which made her smirk. She had a bed, a bathroom, and a kitchen. There was a couch in the living room, along with a worn coffee table and old TV set, but that was it. That was all she needed. She stuck straight to the point.

Deciding it was time to leave, she took one last look around and did a mental check-list, making sure she had everything she needed. The horizon caught her eyes again; glowing and burning a bright red, scarring the sky.

As early as it was, it was her favourite time of day, when all the lights in the city were out and the ocean was glowing red. Then, it quickly spread throughout the city and basked every building in its… gentleness?

That was what confused her the most; was it red, the colour of blood? Or, was it red, the colour of tranquility? So simple, and yet never so complicated.

She smiled.

“Tranquility; wrapped gently and protectively in a blanket of blood and crimson regret. That‘s my sky.”

That was what confused her the most; was it red, the colour of blood? Or, was it red, the colour of tranquility? So simple, and yet never so complicated.

She smiled.

“Tranquility; wrapped gently and protectively in a blanket of blood and crimson regret. That‘s my sky.”
awesome last line, luved it.
so she doesn't remember her life and the covenant did brainwash her and she is pregnant?
pm please

I can tell you right now, she is NOT pregnant, LOL. I already have that going with another fic, plus, it would really make this more depressing than originally intended :lol: ;)

I so love this!
Is there gonna be action scenes?
Cos i really love action/romance! :D
could i please please please have a pm?
And i hope you update soon!

:hug: Zoe

Such a great start!!!

Oooooo, is she going to have take down Vaughn?

That would be really interesting!!!

Please pm me when you update!! Thanks!!

So far this is looking good ... very good indeed - so continue on (and don't make it too god ... I'll end up having to not show mine for the challenge)

A/N: Thanks for the replies, guys! Its your support that keeps me going ^_^ So, here's the next part. Its Vaughn's POV. For the most part, this fic switches between Sydney and Vaughn's POVs. The parts are also pretty short, but there are a lot of them. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part II

“Vaughn.”

“Vaughn, come on.”

He slowly opened his eyes, her chocolate brown ones peering back at him, as well as a full-dimpled smile.

“We’re going to be late.”

“For what?” he asked, as she pulled him out of bed.

“Don’t tell me you forgot!” she laughed, shaking her head, then smacking his playfully.

She looked so… at ease. He hadn’t seen her this relaxed in all the time he had known her. It made his heart swell up with love, just seeing her so happy. He didn’t care about anything else; as long as he could continue to see this face, that’s all that mattered.

“I already packed your bag,” she explained, “Don’t worry. I picked out nice clothes.”

He leaned up and kissed her, noticing that she was ready to go somewhere. He still wasn’t sure what she was talking about, so he arched a brow and finally asked, hoping she wouldn’t be upset if it was something important, “Where are we going again?”

“Santa Barbara, you idiot!” she laughed, “God! You know, for a spy, you have a horrible memory.”

----------

He sprung awake, his breathing shallow and panicked. Where was he? He looked around and noticed that he was no longer at Sydney’s house. He was at his own. Not only that, but it wasn’t Sydney next to him. It was the sleeping figure of his wife.

He scrubbed his hand over his face-- a trait which he had picked up from his father-- which was something that was routine during his days with Sydney. Realizing it was all a dream, he sighed and lay back, staring at the ceiling.

“But it felt so real…,” he thought, wondering about the situation.

Would things have turned out that way had… had Sydney lived? Would she be that happy and would she be so loving? It killed him, more than anyone, especially Sydney, could ever know.

“Michael…,” his wife mumbled, turning over in bed, “What time is it?”

He looked over to the nightstand, the neon green numbers of the clock telling him it was now 4:30am, and he had to be up in a few hours.

“4:30am,” he answered, “Now go back to sleep. Its Sunday.”

She noticed how shaken he was, how terrible he looked, and she knew why. She didn’t want to ask the question, but she did anyway, “Did you have another Sydney dream?”

She knew all about Sydney. She knew about how in love Michael was with her, how amazing she was, and all of the great things she had accomplished in her short lifetime.

She wasn’t jealous of her. Much. The only thing she was jealous of was Michael’s love for her; she loved him and he loved her, but judging from his behavior whenever Sydney’s name was mentioned, she figured their love lacked in comparison, which made her sad. She tried everything to try and fill the void, but maybe that void just wasn’t meant to be filled.

“Yeah,” he said, barely audible, “But everything’s fine. Go back to sleep.”

“Michael, you should really see a shrink,” she said, the concern in her voice evident, “This can’t be healthy--”

“Lauren, my father died when I was just a kid, and I still have dreams about him. Is it so strange to want to remember some of the fondest memories I‘ve ever had? Is that so wrong?”

He really wasn’t in the mood for this. It was 4:30am, he had to be up in a few hours, and this was a subject that he hated discussing. She always brought it up and it became so incessant. He knew her intentions were good, but how much could a person worry?

She sighed, waving her invisible white flag and rolling back over to her other side, trying to catch some sleep.

“What she does to you…,” she uttered, for her ears alone, “… Is anything but normal.”

----------

When he arrived at work that morning, he knew it was going to be one of those days; he hadn’t slept, he hadn’t eaten, and he had had another Sydney dream. He looked around the rotunda for a familiar face, until the revelation had finally hit him, for the seven-hundred and thirtieth day in two years; he was all alone.

After his daughter’s death, Jack Bristow had vanished from the face of the earth, much like he had for six months, before finally having the willpower to face life. The only difference was, Jack was never seen or heard from again. He could have been dead, but somehow, he doubted it.

Marshall and Dixon were both transferred to HQ, Weiss to Washington, and even Kendall went back to his old job. Now, he was the only one left. The best chapter of his entire story had come to a close, and now, he was forced to start on the next one, picking up momentum and trying to piece things back together, one at a time.

“Agent Vaughn?”

He turned around to see a young woman, about Sydney’s age when he had first met her, holding a folder and addressing him.

“Yes?”

“The Director asked that you be sent into the briefing room as soon as you arrived. He said it was really important,” she explained.

He plastered a smile on and replied, “Thanks a lot.”

He was utterly confused; ever since Sydney’s death, they hadn’t been nearly as active around here. Sydney always kept everyone on their toes, and even though those who lived through her era might have claimed that she dragged trouble wherever she went, they loved it.

He headed to the briefing room to find Director Peterson and another suit already waiting for him. He began to wonder what this was about. Being called into the briefing room alone was never a good thing.

“Please, Mr. Vaughn, take a seat,” the suit said.

“What is this about?” Vaughn asked, obeying.

As soon as he sat down, the suit stood up, “I’m Henry Douglas, the liaison to the NSC. I would like to speak with you concerning your research.”

He extended a hand, but Vaughn didn’t accept it. There was more than what was on the surface, and for some reason, Vaughn just didn’t trust him, “What research? I’ve been doing a lot of research lately.”

“About the Covenant,” Douglas answered, “What exactly do you know?”

“No more than anyone else here; they’re a covert operation, made up of former Russian government operatives, as well as many other important figures. They’re much like the Alliance of Twelve, but with the potential to be far more dangerous,” he elaborated.

“Yes. That’s about right. Have you ever heard of a Julia Thorne?” Douglas asked.

“Yes. Her name has come up in dozens of assassinations, as well as known Covenant operations. She’s their most notorious assassin. Why?”

Almost everybody had heard of this Julia Thorne, but nobody really knew who she was or what she looked like. She was the most ruthless assassin known in the world today, and he wished that Sydney was still alive so that she could put her in her place.

“We have reason to believe that you’re her next target.”

Oh what a plot. I like that they both astill think about each other. Even if they, for different rerasons, shouldn't :(
I'm sure how it will go. It's good :smiley:
Could ypu add me to PM list? Thanks in advance ^_^

Ally

OMG! This is freaking fantastic!
Julia Aka Syd is gonna come after him?!
Wow . . . Really. . Im dying to see how you play this out?!
And that scene where Lauren thinks how she tries to fill the void. . But it just wasnt meant to be. .
I loved that. . .The empathy there was amazing.
Pleeeeeeeeez update sooon!!!

A/N: Next chapter! Yay! Once again, thanks for your awesome replies. And again again, this is kinda short, but I think that there are a lot of parts to it, so its not in the long haul. The fateful meeting is finally approaching! Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part III

It was pouring rain in LA, and she found shelter beneath a ramshackle building, leaning back against it. She retrieved a cigarette from the pack in her pocket, trapping it between her lips, before grabbing her lighter and lighting it up. She inhaled, finding relief in the simple action, then exhaled, the puff of blue smoke fading away into the air.

Suddenly, her phone began to ring and she found it in her other pocket, flipping it open, “Yeah?”

“There’s a limo. Get in.”

Sure enough, two seconds later, a limo appeared in front of the building. She smirked, throwing her cigarette down to the ground before slipping into the limo, the leather interior protecting her from the cold, damp outside.

“The driver will take you to a warehouse. There, you will find your target information and everything you need to take care of him,” he explained.

“Great. What’s my timeframe?”

“Before daybreak. Disposing of the body and leaving LA intact is entirely up to you, but I doubt that will be much of a problem, will it, Julia?” he could hear his disturbing chuckle.

“No. Not at all,” she replied.

“Then good luck. I’ll wait to hear from you again soon,” he hung up.

She had been working for the Covenant for the past two years and they still treated her as if she were a disposable unit. It made her laugh, because whether or not they would like to admit it and forfeit that power, she was invaluable to them and she knew it.

“They’ve overlooked their position,” she thought, staring out the tinted windows, “They’re the disposable ones.”

After a few minutes of silence, she found herself parked outside the warehouse. She smiled, nodded to the driver who was concealed through the dividing window, and stepped out of the vehicle.

The walk to the front of the building was short, but in that short time, she had managed to become entirely drenched. It didn’t bother her, though, and as she slipped through the sliding door of the warehouse, it was the adrenaline that was keeping her warm.

In the middle of the cold, bare storage facility, she found a metal table and boxes of supplies next to it. Walking over the table, her heals clicking off the solid ground and echoing, she sat down in the chair and spotted a manila folder, grabbing it and sliding it closer. She opened the file and was shocked by the face staring back at her. She knew the face.

‘Who…?” she asked herself, before reading the name at the top of the page, “… Michael Vaughn…?”

She knew him. That much, she was sure of. However, she didn’t know where from. She wasn’t able to pinpoint the location in her mind, much like her earlier dream.

Reading his file in further detail, she discovered that he was a CIA agent.

“But then how can I know him?” she asked herself, “If he’s CIA, then how can I possibly know him?”

She ran her hand over his face in the picture, closing her eyes and trying her absolute hardest to remember where she had seen it before. Nothing came to mind.

She reached the end of his file, many questions still left unsolved, “What is the Covenant hiding from me?”

To the untrained eye, this would look like a normal file of a CIA agent. However, she was no untrained, and she almost laughed out loud at how foolish and reckless the Covenant had been with this operation so far, to think that she wouldn’t notice.

“Maybe when I finally find this man, he’ll have some answers for me.”

There was an unsettling feeling in her stomach, for the first time since she could remember. A job had never made her feel uneasy and she wondered if she even wanted the answers to her questions.

Moving over to the boxes, she pried to top off of one to find a sniper rifle, all cozy and snuggled inside its compartment. Unsatisfied, she moved on to the next one, finding smaller guns, used for a closer range. Still unsatisfied, she pushed this box off of the next one and pried it open, smiling, finally finding what she was looking for.

Sniper rifles were so… impersonal; “A Coward’s Weapon,” as she liked to call them. They were made for those too afraid to get close to their adversary, or those who didn’t take enough pleasure in their work.

Handguns and automatics were not quite as bad, but she still had a great distaste for them. While they were meant for close range, they were also too quick and there was always that slim chance that the target could survive.

She smiled, holding the knife up to the light and watching it gleam off the cold, silver blade. Her eyes stared back at her, which pierced even deeper than the blade itself; knives were her weapon of choice, because of the care and thought that went into the killing. A person who used a knife wasn’t afraid to get close to their victim and liked to prolong the death and agony a little longer, taking great pleasure in their work. It definitely suited her.

Concealing the knife inside of her black, leather jacket, she grabbed another like it, followed by a handgun; just in case. Once she was ready, she smiled and picked up her cell phone, dialing a contact‘s number.

“I need a favor.”

Back